gunpaq

Ottley Wings On Ebay

For those who are interested, I have successfully purchased four of the ‘Bill Ottley’ skydive memorabilia items that were up for auction on EBAY. The total cost for the LOT is $965.00. I lost one of the bids unfortunately. The item I did not win was the ‘1977 FAA Logbook’. The items I did win are going to be delivered to ‘Pat Thomas’ before the end of the month, and they will then be turned over to the trustees of the ‘Skydive Museum’ for safe keeping and special care. In order help with the purchase cost and the costs of protecting the items from the elements of time, we are asking for donations that will go directly to the museum as ‘inkind’ donations for the ‘Bill Ottley’ memorabilia. The estimated total costs will be around $1500.00. When the items 1st came up in discussion on Facebook, there were plenty of offers to help support this action, and I would like to express my thanks for the offers to help. So, for those that made the offer to help, and for those that want to help out, I am accepting payments via Paypal at ‘[email protected]’. For those ‘Old School’ jumpers that still believe in writing checks, you can mail a check to me at ‘332 Georgetown Dr. Casselberry, Fl. 32707. All donors will have their names listed on the plaque that will be displayed at the museum alongside the Case with the memorabilia. All donations will be turned over to the ‘Skydive Museum’ as soon as we reach the goal of $1500.00. If anyone has any inquiries or questions, please message me in Chat and I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you for your support with this project. Blue Skies/Dry Roads. ‘JJ’;)

For those who are interested, I have successfully purchased four of the ‘Bill Ottley’ skydive memorabilia items that were up for auction on EBAY. The total cost for the LOT is $965.00. I lost one of the bids unfortunately. The item I did not win was the ‘1977 FAA Logbook’. The items I did win are going to be delivered to ‘Pat Thomas’ before the end of the month, and they will then be turned over to the trustees of the ‘Skydive Museum’ for safe keeping and special care. In order help with the purchase cost and the costs of protecting the items from the elements of time, we are asking for donations that will go directly to the museum as ‘inkind’ donations for the ‘Bill Ottley’ memorabilia. The estimated total costs will be around $1500.00. When the items 1st came up in discussion on Facebook, there were plenty of offers to help support this action, and I would like to express my thanks for the offers to help. So, for those that made the offer to help, and for those that want to help out, I am accepting payments via Paypal at ‘[email protected]’. For those ‘Old School’ jumpers that still believe in writing checks, you can mail a check to me at ‘332 Georgetown Dr. Casselberry, Fl. 32707. All donors will have their names listed on the plaque that will be displayed at the museum alongside the Case with the memorabilia. All donations will be turned over to the ‘Skydive Museum’ as soon as we reach the goal of $1500.00. If anyone has any inquiries or questions, please message me in Chat and I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you for your support with this project. Blue Skies/Dry Roads. ‘JJ’

For those who are interested, I have successfully purchased four of the ‘Bill Ottley’ skydive memorabilia items that were up for auction on EBAY. The total cost for the LOT is $965.00. I lost one of the bids unfortunately. The item I did not win was the ‘1977 FAA Logbook’. The items I did win are going to be delivered to ‘Pat Thomas’ before the end of the month, and they will then be turned over to the trustees of the ‘Skydive Museum’ for safe keeping and special care. In order help with the purchase cost and the costs of protecting the items from the elements of time, we are asking for donations that will go directly to the museum as ‘inkind’ donations for the ‘Bill Ottley’ memorabilia. The estimated total costs will be around $1500.00. When the items 1st came up in discussion on Facebook, there were plenty of offers to help support this action, and I would like to express my thanks for the offers to help. So, for those that made the offer to help, and for those that want to help out, I am accepting payments via Paypal at ‘[email protected]’. For those ‘Old School’ jumpers that still believe in writing checks, you can mail a check to me at ‘332 Georgetown Dr. Casselberry, Fl. 32707. All donors will have their names listed on the plaque that will be displayed at the museum alongside the Case with the memorabilia. All donations will be turned over to the ‘Skydive Museum’ as soon as we reach the goal of $1500.00. If anyone has any inquiries or questions, please message me in Chat and I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you for your support with this project. Blue Skies/Dry Roads. ‘JJ’

Most people that knew Bill would know that his “Double Diamond Wings” would be made of gold and have real diamonds in them. Bill was very wealthy and went first class at all times.

How many people remember getting your Ottley number off his bald head?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Ironically Bill's name came up last night at a dinner party. The subject of skydiving arose and naturally discussion drifted to jump stories. Many of my stories center on Bill. I first met him at Manassas, Virginia at a DZ shared by the Pelicans and the Targeteers. It was the summer of 66 and just before I enlisted in the Air Force. I tried to teach Bill how to barefoot water ski on the Shenandoah River in Front Royal, VA. We became pretty good friends and I was honored to be on his legendary Christmas Card list for many years. I visited his townhouse in Georgetown many times (it even had a private elevator). My wife and I attended his memorial service at USPA HQ a few years back and it was an opportunity to reconnect with friends I hadn't seen in years.

I'm attaching a photo of Bob Holler, Bill, me, and Tom Bryant. We had just won Team Accuracy at Pop's meet. It was probably around 1968.

Regarding the value of wings, I doubt they carry much value although Bill may have had a custom set made. My Diamond Wings were destroyed in an apartment fire nineteen years ago. Somehow my Airborne wings survived. My enterprising oldest daughter contacted USPA and had them send a replacement pair at no cost.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Not surprised these are for sale. Ottley’s family never cared for his aviation or skydiving, some other stuff too. He has Survivors believe me I met them.

The family didn’t like Ottley giving $1,000,000 of their old money to the Skydiving museum.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.