airtwardo

Jimmy Franklin's gear is for sale.

nndefense

If I'm correct, in the first pic, the rig in the middle row, far left, is a Style Master. I had one in 1969. Traded a stereo for it.

That's what it looks like to me too...I still HAVE mine!

The brightly colored one is a REAL early wonderhog...R3's and all!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi Jim,

The brightly colored one is a REAL early wonderhog...R3's and all!

If you're talking about the one with the yellow flaps, that is not a Wonderhog.

It does look like the rig that was made by the Riggers Workshop in Iowa; or somewhere in the midwest.

ETA: I think it was called the Omega.

JerryBaumchen

nndefense

If I'm correct, in the first pic, the rig in the middle row, far left, is a Style Master. I had one in 1969. Traded a stereo for it.

I used to dream about owning one of those, back in the day. Even the bungee's were different.

Couldn't afford a new one, never saw a used one for sale/trade. I did own a stereo, that I would have been happy to trade for.
One Jump Wonder

I'm desperately trying to remember the guy's name that I made that trade with. I remember the name Mike. He later went on to be a wig with USPA. Maybe it'll come to me.

I also had one of the first Cross Bows, a 3 pin that loved to hang up the middle pin on opening. If I remember right, Jack Joerns had a hand in the design of it. The two pin containers were gtg. Hundreds of jumps on one of those.

Hi defense,

If I remember right, Jack Joerns had a hand in the design of it.

About 5 + years ago, I posted on here that the CrossBow rig was designed by Dan abbott, Ludlow Clements & Perry Stevens.

Dan Abbott ( known as 26 Ft Conical on here ) seriously corrected me. Dan was the sole designer of the CrossBow rig. The 3-pin w/side closure, w/zipper on the opposite side, came from Dan's earlier design, The Tracker. The Tracker was a conventional rig ( back mounted main & front mounted reserve ) that also used a 3-pin closure w/zipper on the other side.

JerryBaumchen

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4552493;search_string=Dan%20Abbott;#4552493

JerryBaumchen

Hi defense,

If I remember right, Jack Joerns had a hand in the design of it.

About 5 + years ago, I posted on here that the CrossBow rig was designed by Dan abbott, Ludlow Clements & Perry Stevens.

Dan Abbott ( known as 26 Ft Conical on here ) seriously corrected me. Dan was the sole designer of the CrossBow rig. The 3-pin w/side closure, w/zipper on the opposite side, came from Dan's earlier design, The Tracker. The Tracker was a conventional rig ( back mounted main & front mounted reserve ) that also used a 3-pin closure w/zipper on the other side.

JerryBaumchen

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4552493;search_string=Dan%20Abbott;#4552493

Thanks for the correction. Jack had other accomplishments to his credit other than being Susy's husband. Ha! Boy, do have stories about Bonnie Hickey and Susy coming to Hammond to train for the Nationals. I think it was '67 or '68.

Anyway, somewhere around here, I have a picture of the result of a three pin Crossbow hanging up on me. When it hung, I hit the blast handle and opened my reserve. Could actually make out rivets in the hanger's tin roof below me when the reserve opened about 500'. About then the main, a PC, fell out of the its container and proceeded to try to deploy. Fun day. Hard landing, only hard one ever, on a conical.

Good times!

I might be interested in that Stylemaster reserve, (if it has a 26 coni. in it). I had that exact reserve, even the same color, in the early 70's. It didn't match my navy blue (Super Pro) main container, but I figured I looked pretty stylish anyway. I never was very color coordinated.[:/]

It was hard to pack a 24 ft. reserve canopy into that container. That was a real work out....Somebody said a 24 ft. wasn't ment to be packed into it. I wish B.J. Worth would have told me that when he sold it to me.

I about ruptured my back trying to get it closed up, every couple months.

What was the repack cycle back then....I forgot already. Was it six weeks?

Hi steve,

Somebody said a 24 ft. wasn't ment to be packed into it.

Very true. It was designed for a 26 ft conical ( in all forms ) only.

What was the repack cycle back then....I forgot already. Was it six weeks?

I've heard it said that the memory is the first to go. It was 60 days 'back in the day.'

:P

JerryBaumchen

PS) I once tore a grommet completely out of a StyleMaster trying to close it; and that was with a 26 ft conical in it. I replaced all of the grommets with the sew-in type and had no problems with grommets after that.

My memory is getting down right scary. On some loads I couldn't remember what the first point was, when I left the plane. Maybe it's a good thing I no longer jump.

I keep thinking I'm going to start up again Jerry. I figure if I do I'll need a reserve to go with that Sylemaster main you worked on.

I still have my modern gear, but I figure I have at least a few more para-commander jumps left in me.[:/]

I still have my modern gear, but I figure I have at least a few more para-commander jumps left in me.[:/]

Good luck with THAT! >:(

I jumped my Pap a few years back...a 7.6 on the Richter was reported 40 miles away!

Had my Frenchies on thank God...did a textbook PLF but STILL had a hitch in my git a long for 3 weeks...couldn't believe I use to STAND that thing up!

Best I can figure...it shrunk to about half the original size in the closet...same thing happened to all the old skydiving tee shirts I have in there...:$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'll keep that 26 coni in mind Jerry. If I start up again I'll definitely be interested. I keep thinking I'm going to downsize some of my gear. I even sold a rig a couple months ago. I still have two pair of Frenchies. I wouldn't think of making a P.C. jump without them.

My last P.C jump was about five years back.....and I did stand it up. I about broke both legs doing it, but I always was into showing off.[:/] Now that I'm old enough to draw social security I might have to give up on standups with old gear.....

airtwardo

Good luck with THAT! >:(

I jumped my Pap a few years back...a 7.6 on the Richter was reported 40 miles away!

Had my Frenchies on thank God...did a textbook PLF but STILL had a hitch in my git a long for 3 weeks...couldn't believe I use to STAND that thing up!

Best I can figure...it shrunk to about half the original size in the closet...same thing happened to all the old skydiving tee shirts I have in there...:$

Funny thing about all those old tee shirts, they shrink just hanging in the closet without even washing them:ph34r:

Might have something to do with all those missing socks. It the closet theory. Buy everything Tee shirt XXX large and a pair of socks should be sold with a spare:D.

Your landing, no problem:)
One Jump Wonder

About the Tshirts, remember how tight we wore everything in those "Saturday Night Fever" days. Shorts were SHORT, and T-shirts were TIGHT.

We might be a little bigger, too :P, but we did wear them tighter then.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

About the Tshirts, remember how tight we wore everything in those "Saturday Night Fever" days. Shorts were SHORT, and T-shirts were TIGHT.

We might be a little bigger, too :P, but we did wear them tighter then.

Wendy P.

What you mean "we" you got a mouse in your pocket :D

Some of us hicks from the sticks, alway wore loose cloths due to the extreme heat and humidity. We didn't need to dress to impress. There wasn't anyone there to impress:P

I wonder if jimmys bag in the picture has all his spare socks:D
One Jump Wonder

steve1

I'll keep that 26 coni in mind Jerry. If I start up again I'll definitely be interested. I keep thinking I'm going to downsize some of my gear. I even sold a rig a couple months ago. I still have two pair of Frenchies. I wouldn't think of making a P.C. jump without them.

Was the super pro reserve the one that had the option of a side pull or a verticle pull reserve handle.?

Saw a comercial on the telly the other day USAA and a airborne soldier stands up his big round canopy and his belly wart had a vertical pull shiny reserve handle. Hard to miss. :o
One Jump Wonder

Krip

***I'll keep that 26 coni in mind Jerry. If I start up again I'll definitely be interested. I keep thinking I'm going to downsize some of my gear. I even sold a rig a couple months ago. I still have two pair of Frenchies. I wouldn't think of making a P.C. jump without them.

Was the super pro reserve the one that had the option of a side pull or a verticle pull reserve handle.?

Saw a comercial on the telly the other day USAA and a airborne soldier stands up his big round canopy and his belly wart had a vertical pull shiny reserve handle. Hard to miss. :o

And now the handle is cloth....
Propblast