base698

AFF rating

I have been recently toying with the idea of getting my aff rating. I have the BIC done and was wondering any special considerations I should be having. I only have 600 jumps, but quite a bit of wind tunnel time. Are there any instructors that pass the cert with that few jumps? I'm going to take the pre course and do my proficiency card and all that. Is there anything else to consider?

When I went to the course last November there was a guy named Donnie from Pennsylvania. He had just barely the amount of jumps (360 jumps) for the six hours minimum you needed, but this guy also had tons and tons of tunnel time. He was one of if not the best shit hot fliers in the course. Most of us had 4 times the jumps he had but no tunnel time.
Wonder how he's doing? Good luck be prepared........:)Seb B|

I passed with about 500 jumps. When I took the course there was no BIC and there were a few other differences (lower hard decks etc.) Practice is everything - I made about 40 practice jumps, and seeing as how I passed by the skin of my teeth, I could have used a lot more. I think the closest 'sport' skill is big-way flying - if you can stay with an unruly big-way through fall rate changes, waves and a slidey base, you're getting good practice for staying with an evaluator.
-bill von

As Bill noted, make a bunch of practice jumps. Do attend a pre-course if it is available and jump with the evaluators that will be at the AFFCC. I made about 50 prep jumps before the AFFCC. They were not all AFF practice, some were RW coach dives, some were following/watching real AFF jumps. You don't have to have thousands of jumps, you have to be ready to pass the AFF evaluation jumps.
Hey Sab - I thought you were the shit-hot jumper at our AFFCC, at least that is what you told me .

Hey Tom whats up dude........... Too many Tandems were making me fly like shit at the course oh yeah and that performance anxiety thingy. You gotta admit Donnie and Alex with thier damn Tunnel time were flying circles around most of us. But we all know who did it the hard wayB|. Tom and I for everyone who cares about possibly getting an AFF-I rating trained and trained and trained with real evaluators. That is the secret, Practice. And for the most part they (the evaluators) will be harder on you than in the real deal.
Seb B|

Tom and I for everyone who cares about possibly getting an AFF-I rating trained and trained and trained with real evaluators

And I'll bet Josh worked you too! He's a tough evaluator - showed no mercy when I got my TM back in '95... and I was his freakin' roommate! :)pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

And I'll bet Josh worked you too! He's a tough evaluator - showed no mercy when I got my TM back in '95

Yes he was very tough. He floats big time. And does that spinning on his back thing so well..........B| Think he'd take it easy on his roomy though.......:P
Seb B|

Lisa, Good to hear from you girl. Thanks for being there while I was getting ready for the AFFCC, you can't beat good gear.
Josh was the slow fall, Jess was the fast student and I also jumped with Jeff L. and Jay S. I don't think that any one was especially hard to deal with, they each had different "things" they wanted to see you do/handle with the "student."