faulknerwn

History lessons for the young pups

Ok. I was asked at the bonfire tonight if I did crw on rounds. I had to say that my parents wouldn't let me until I was out of elementary school :)

That being said I discovered that these young pups had no clue who Clark gable, Mae West or Cary grant is

So they need homework assignments and need to learn history clearly :)

Where can I send them to learn skydiving history? Internet sites are best but I will make them buy books of necessary.

But to not even have a clue why a line over on a round is called a Mae west is just wrong!!!

So please post some educational resources for these children to learn where skydiving came from!!!!

http://www.parachutehistory.com/ has lots of stuff.

One resource is the "there I was" stories in this forum :D

Wendy P.
(the other Wendy, who did round CRW :ph34r:)
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Sorry to say but its a lost cause.You can try and inform all you want but you will only be seenas a old fart. History is history they are not intrested.I have two sons who jump so I know how hard it is to get the "history" across .The AFF mills are pumping out 100,s of new jumpers every year all over the world . 10 jumps and you are a skydiver .

PROGRESSIVE

History only becomes interesting to "young pup" after they become "old-dogs."

Pete the dog, aka, pup!

"Pete the Pup" is what we called this 16 year old kid that started skydiving at Baldwin in 1979 or 80. Yey Pup!

Pete here may remember John Killdahl who jumped a Dactyl for many years. I do recall him doing some CRW with it. John was also one of the early camera guys I can remember. I'd love to get in touch with him to see some of the old shots he took of us.

Where are you at these days Pete?
:)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Lineset

Sorry to say but its a lost cause.You can try and inform all you want but you will only be seenas a old fart. History is history they are not intrested.I have two sons who jump so I know how hard it is to get the "history" across .The AFF mills are pumping out 100,s of new jumpers every year all over the world . 10 jumps and you are a skydiver .

I'm not disinterested but I don't go looking specifically for it. I do love reading the history when I come across it though..

One of my fav skydive radio episodes was the one with airtwardo telling stories of demo jumps back in the stone age.

Some of us young pups enjoy learning the history of our sport. I've read the Scary Stories from the Old Days thread all the way through, twice. But the best way to learn history is to sit around the bonfire and listen to the old dogs tell stories.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Hi Wendy,
The info is there, it's just up to the individual to look at it. One place for some early history is the "Blast from the past" section on the Air Trash web site. The "Scary stories from the old days" thread here on the H & T Forum will raise a few eye brows! Find a copy of "Masters of the Sky!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Lineset

The AFF mills are pumping out 100,s of new jumpers every year all over the world . 10 jumps and you are a skydiver .

So what? Bill Booth's instructor had 6 jumps.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

John Kildahl wore a Jerry Bird, front mounted, hand deployed reserve. He jumped a Dactyl and an old 5 cell, I think.

After I moved from Minnesota, I lost track of many people. I now live in Utah and enjoy sit skiing/mono-skiing, due to my paralysis from a hang gliding accident.

We had good times while sitting around the bond fire burning rail road ties and telling lies.

I really enjoyed the jumps into Lake Calhoun every summer for the aquatennial.

Keep in touch!

Pete the Pup!

Lineset

Back in '71, 5 SL jumps and then I was a skydiver. Looks harder to get off the tit nowadays to me. I though about a comeback jump for the 40th anniversary of my SCR/SCS but the BS was too deep.

airtwardo

Well....THAT certainly made me feel even oldER! :S

Well...something that is making *me* feel older is understanding this thread.

To me, a "round" is a 28 ft diameter canopy modified with a T, LL or the really hot accuracy canopy called a 7 TU.

I have 2-300 jumps on 7 TU rigs but I never attempted CRW with one. Set me straight, what is a round?

Remember, also, that during the time period of my round jumps touching someone in freefall was front page news. Seeing someone from close enough to tell who they are in freefall was a momentous occasion.

Or so I remember....
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

faulknerwn

Some of the stuff I'm gonna share:
Good stuff!!!

Good stuff for sure. I have copies of most of those movies from my days of "selling" skydiving to college groups and others.

But I still don't have an answer: What is a round?

How many of your thousands of jumps are on rounds?
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Any more, a round is any parachute that isn't a square (or a triangle or Barish Sailwing). So PCs, Sparrows, Starlites, and the like are all included.

A Thunderbow is a mix of triangle and round, since it's really a triangular umbrella.

Rounds are umbrellas, some of them with the apex pulled down. About 5-600 of my jumps are on rounds, but I'm the other Wendy ;).

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)