SCS292

Hutchinson, KS

I jumped with a group from Hutchinson, KS several times in Valley Mills, TX in '72 and in Cleveland, TX in late '72 or early '73. Matt Farmer's name is the only one I can remember (and his fuchsia cheapo). Once in Cleveland we went to eat at the end of the day to a café that had a piano in the corner. One of the Hutchinson jumpers was coaxed and reluctantly sat down at it and played jazz or ragtime piano like nobody's business. He seemed kind of shy and only played a couple of tunes but it was fantastic. Does anybody know who I am talking about?

Can't relate to what you are referring to. I did make my first 10 jumps at the Old Naval Air Station in Hutchinson, KS in 1977. We packed out T-10 's on long tables in the desserted barracks and and always waited until sunset when the winds to die down to jump rounds.
Tony Brogdon
D-12855

During those years different groups of us came down from Desoto, Herrington and Edgerton Ks., which was a bit before Hutchinson. I started at Desoto, taught by Matt and jumped at Waco, V-Mills and Cleveland DZ's with Jim Baker, Brit Alley, Ernie Johnson, Scotty Goding, Harry Shill, Rick Bridges, Ken Knable, Dale Boyer and probably a few others. That night and the piano playing brings back some vague memories... is that any help?

SCS301

I have a friend who says "if you can remember those days then you weren't there". Thanks, I'm sure we were in a star or two and. You guys were fun to jump and party with. I'm in Coffeyville, KS for a couple of months and just got to thinking about the Kansas jumpers and remembered the piano player.

I think you have described me just about exactly as I was back then. Maybe just 6'1".

When I read your first post it started to bring back some memory of those times. Thanks for sparking a 40 something year ago moment in time and for the compliment.

There were so many trips to Texas in those days lots of jumping partying and fun times and probably that one time on a piano.

I didn't get the musical gene so I have always admired anyone who had it, and especially playing with no music in front of you. I hope you still play, I could have listened all night but just the one or two pieces you played stuck in my memory. Did you play jazz or ragtime in those days? Are you in the 20 man picture? I recognize some of the Texas guys. Front row from left, Phil Mayfield (always signed your logbook in mirror image), Dave Boatman (he was in my first 8-man), Jess Hall (jumped with a .25 auto in his jumpsuit sleeve pocket), not sure, Gregg Hackett, Curran Phillip (saved more than one life), Ken Gillespie, not sure, John Mincher (in my first 8-man an got me onto the load), not sure. Back from left, only ones I remember are third from left, Ron Cox and far right David Arrington. John Mincher would remember them all sure. I'll send him this link.

Jim, I just looked at the SCR & SCS data base and you earned your SCR in Elsinore a month before I got mine and you got your SCS in V-Mills 3 weeks after I got mine in Dickinson but only 9 people later. I'll bet I was in V-Mills when you got your SCS but I don't have my logbook with me to be sure. I moved into my VW van on the V-mills DZ sometime in May of '72 to work on my RW full time. I was kind of a freak because I got my SCR and SCS on my 44th jump so a lot of the guys were understandably leery of jumping with me till I had consistently gotten into some ten man stars on the garbage loads that followed the 10 man team out of the DC-3. They were busy practicing for Tallequah. '72 is my favorite year.

hey Rick, I only had 60 jumps the first trip to Texas by the time of the 20 ways in Cado Mills was almost to 300. I am behind Ron Cox in the photo. At sometime back then I went on a road trip to Elsinore with Phil Mayfield and Gregg Hackett too (?). Almost grounded on our first jump there for a low opening. Gregg and Phil were a couple of my heroes back then, but really enjoyed being around all of those guys you identified in the photo. David Arrington was on my first two jumps in Valley Mills. Thanks for the music playing compliments, I think there is just something that happens being at the right place/time and energy that people can perform beyond their ability. I have experienced that a few times musically and on some team jumps, time kind of slows down and things just happen. I wanted to be able to play blues/rag and only play every now and then anymore. No perfect moments lately.

Jim

Jim, I guessed you would have been in the background. I left Valley Mills in August of '72, sold everything and went to Europe. I hitchhiked from Houston to NY City and then all over Europe for 3 months. Got back in November of '72 so the Cleveland weekend I am remembering would have been in November or December '72, or January or February '73. I think V-Mills shut down while I was gone and Caddo Mills hadn't started up yet. It may have even been the last time I jumped if it was February. My logbook got lost in Valley Mills in July of '72 and I didn't bother to keep records of my jumps after that. I did find the logbook later when I was cleaning up my VW van to sell and it was wedged between the rear seat and motor compartment. I had the middle seat out of it in Valley Mills and slept in it or on the ground and everything I owned was spread around the inside. V-Mills was really the RW capital of the central US in those days. It was nice in the old days to be able to jump many of the DZ's with no creds other than someone to vouch for you. I never joined the USPA and today I don't think you can even be a WUFFO without a license. I took up boat building and sailing in '73 and later got my pilot's license and a hot air balloon rating but never jumped again. I thought about a 40 year comeback jump last year on my 8-man anniversary but I couldn't even do an AFF without a tandem first and that sounded lame so I passed. I attached a copy of my passport picture from July of '72. Like I said, I was kind of a freak back then and if not for John Mincher I wouldn't have gotten on many of the big loads. Definitely not part of the in crowd. I was usually 30th out of the DC-3. Are you still in Kansas?

Rick, you're recollection is pretty close. I found my logbook from that time frame. Unfortunately I was using a felt tip pen, and my logbooks were in a flood. I can still make out that I made a jump on Dec 31 1972 and Jan 1 1973 at Cleveland. New Years eve party with Texas jumpers must have been a fun time. Sounds like you went on to have some interesting times. I wouldn't be able to sum up my last 40 years in a paragraph, but after living on both coasts, I have been back in Ks for the last 13 years, married for 12 now.

Jim

Jim, that was a long drive for two jumps but that had to be the weekend. I remember jumping on that New years day. I jumped John Mincher's PC since I had sold mine to Dave Boatman before I went to Europe. I remember John's PC opening really hard, seemed like a second or two before I pulled. Glad to made the connection, best wishes to you and get back on that piano

Rick

Dale Boyer was my first jump instructor September 1977

Him and his wife lived in a loft they built in one of the Old Naval Air station's barracks.

He convinced Witchita State University to list Skydiving as one of their coarces. I was the first one to jump static line out of the coarce
Tony Brogdon
D-12855