Krip

Pea gravel

Hi Folks

my last post about greatest generation turned into a political issue because two responsible mature adults couldn't resist turning into a internation political .

Don't believe me take a look at the thread and see who turned it into a political football. As far a I'm concerned either someone needs to remove the political BS from the thread or send my post into the black hole of SC.

It violates the basic principal of all politics should be discussed in SC only!!!!!

Now where was I

Pea gravel:)

With the new age gear, canopies of different sizes jumpers with out a log book etc the positive qualities of Pea Gravel may be lost to history.

If anyone takes offense to the subject of pea gravel and wants to sent it to the black hole of SC say it now I've got a very interesting story that my basic intro to pea gravel in 1968.

it may have prevented some needless injuries to x number of G.I.s .25 yr's latter because I know what Pea gravel is. Before I went to college and got a degree in civil engr.

Every jumper should know what pea gravel is by sight. from yards away. If you jump in the US and you don't know what pea gravel is than your not a jumper.

Like paul Harvey used to say stay tuned to the rest of the story.

R.I.P.

But we'll see what happens to the political pollution into our little corner of heaven. before I waste my time on a simple subject like Pea gravel. and have 2 different more responsible adult s should now better muck it up.

Do the -joey- types even know what pea gravel is or care? I sure as hell don't care.

So we'll see if the simple subject of pea gravel stirs up any dust:ph34r:
One Jump Wonder

Okay, I'll play: I think Maytown PA had the best 'pea gravel pit' in the country. Just hitting the 'peas' was reason for celebration! By the way, were you equipped with a "gravel ban"?

Well as a sort of older jumper I can appreciate the history of pea gravel. But with today's canopies the landing swoop is usually longer than the pit is wide. And even landing tandems on windy days, I don't like landing in the pit because the damn stuff gets in my shoes.:P

Back in my youth, jumping surplus rounds on windy days, I rarely had the pleasure of a pea gravel landing.

I did make a dead center pea gravel landing on a cutaway though. Nailed it under a 26 foot Navy conical reserve. It was during an accuracy contest but the judges disqualified that jump.

It was the only dead center I ever made in over 100 surplus round canopy jumps. I obviously wasnt an accuracy star. I was jumping at Livermore, Antioch and Pope Valley CA. Pope Valley was paradise, Damn I miss that DZ.

All I know about pea gravel is that the individual stones were smooth and rounded, no sharp edges. They acted like ball bearings sort of. Very smooth deceleration as you squished down into the peas.

I am an EE not a CE so I cant really speak with any authority about pea gravel other to say that it was great for landings and was great for certain other activities at night. It's a very safe bet that some second gen jumpers were conceived on the peas.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

a few times I remember we used to sleep in the pea gravel pit... At least, I remember waking up there...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

That's not called sleep, that's called passing out.;)

I used to routinely use my PC, my Strato Cloud and my Cirrus Cloud for jumpmastering until I busted up my leg in 1987. Always wanted to jump another round. Finally found a Phantom 28 cheap enough, put it in my regular rig in a bag and jumped it. After 18 years from my last round jump, from 5000' and a spot 1/2 mile out I hit the peas.B| And damned glad I did because a 250 exit weight I was coming down like a rock.:o

Our pit was about 30'x35' and deep enough you never found the bottom. Often safest place in the landing zone was the pea pit.:)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

skypuppy

a few times I remember we used to sleep in the pea gravel pit... At least, I remember waking up there...

The peas weren't nearly as soft to sleep on as they were to land in but in Valley Mills it was sometimes the only place that wasn't muddy. I'm talking that black sticky stuff that would add another 2" to the bottom of your Frenchies.

I grew up as one of the "Dropzone Kids" at West Point, Va back in the '70's. I remember when they changed the pit from saw dust to pea gravel. Not too long ago I was going thru some of my Dad's old gear and found about a 1/4 cup of gravel in one of his old jumpsuit (Pioneer double zip) pockets. It's in a little jar next to his old Alti now. :)

I'm behind the bar at Sloppy Joe's....See ya in the Keys!

Muff 4313

skypuppy

Sorry to play hard to get but until someone with the right stuff removes the poitical crap from the greatest generation is fading fast. You have to wait for paul harvy to find out how a little fubar over pea gravel could get some gi killed

Pea gravel is pea gravel you don't have to be engr to figure that out.

I'm just a reguler old fart that tries to play by the rules. And keep poltics out of the threads that I start

If you don't see me aagain I know I won't be missed who banned who
One Jump Wonder

Big difference between pea graval and crushed rock. The rounded edges of pea graval let the rock move around one another. Crushed rocks sharp edges make them pack together. DeLand had pit in the '70s that was crushed rock and not very deep. It was almost as soft as the runway.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Hi Krip,
The "Pea Gravel" stories abound. Back in the daze of round canopies and Iron Men, down wind landings for the paint can lid in a 15K breeze, broken bonez and what-all, thank the First Jump Fairy for putting the thought in a jumperz head," Hey guyz, how about 'Pea Gravel!!'" 'Remember going to a jump meet at DeRidder, La in Dec '63 (right before I started jumping) and all they had for a target was a plowed up area!! 'Don't remember anyone getting carted off to the Ortho but there was some hellacious landings!! When Southland Skydivers finally got going at Hammond La., we put in a 10 meter pit (5m from disc to the edge) "DON'T MISS!!" then later it got expanded to 30meters!! (15 out from the disc!!) Nice soft washed river peagravel!! Good stuff!! When Leon and Prissie moved the DZ from Hammond to Covington, they took the peas with them!! So reported Prissie!! Those were the daze. Now, out at Raeford, the "Peas" have been replaced with a "Tuffet!!" Wherez "Miss Muffet????"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Krip

***a few times I remember we used to sleep in the pea gravel pit... At least, I remember waking up there...

Sorry to play hard to get but until someone with the right stuff removes the poitical crap from the greatest generation is fading fast. You have to wait for paul harvy to find out how a little fubar over pea gravel could get some gi killed

Pea gravel is pea gravel you don't have to be engr to figure that out.

I'm just a reguler old fart that tries to play by the rules. And keep poltics out of the threads that I start

If you don't see me aagain I know I won't be missed who banned who
huh?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Re : Huh???
....perfect...B|
you doin' OK there,,, Krip?????

;)
I started at a small dropzone where Accuracy was highly regarded...we always had a pea gravel pit and often enjoyed accuracy meets...

Downwind...
using Para-Commanders and Papillons...it was '73...The peas were actually not that hard to hit...Or rather Crash-Land In...
just as long as you had the horses to sit on your brakes..during final approach...I made 2 jumps on a PC, after shooting accuracy with a 28 foot LOPO for maybe 20 jumps...and then Found the French Papillon and eventually made OVER 800 jumps on 3 different French Paps...
it was nice to learn that peas are Just as soft,,, in Fact, SOFTER... when you turn it around and fly a ram-air....Upwind...
When the pattern to it is Clear... I still like flying to a nice touchdown.... IN the Pea gravel!!!

jmy
A 3914
D 12122
scr scs nscr
:)

As an OLD gymnast I can tell you this... Back Flips are very difficult to initiate in the Pea Gravel Pit. But, when you land on your face due to the lack of rotation from said poor initiation, you will not get hurt bad. ;)

However, I think the current administration has passed laws that prohibit the freedom of initiating a back flip in the peas... how's that Krip? :$

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Back in the '70s there was friction between the relative workers and the style and accuracy crowd. (Now it's the bellyflyers vs the lawn darts) The relative workers were fond of saying, "Style is how you walk to the plane. Accuracy is getting on the right plane."
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Niki1

Back in the '70s there was friction between the relative workers and the style and accuracy crowd. (Now it's the bellyflyers vs the lawn darts) The relative workers were fond of saying, "Style is how you walk to the plane. Accuracy is getting on the right plane."

Well.. we didn't know how to DO relative work..... hell the word hadn't hardly been Invented yet !!!B|;) and there weren't very many " RW ONLY " Types around.....at least in our small corner of the skydiving world.:|

and so really,, alllll we had was accuracy... Not so much style, however.

We did "hook-ups " during freefall and shot accuracy whenever we could.
20 , 21 years Old , and full of piss & vinegar !!!:P:)

oldwomanc6

We did "hook-ups " during freefall when we found ourselves headed into each other and shot accuracy whenever we could get anywhere near the peas.

FIFY :P

Hi nice lady

Thanks for droping by by.

How have you been ?

Interesting experiment isnt it ?

Two simpe words pea gravel..and look who droped by with a fify.

Two folks in the greatest generation is fading thread if you can do a fify there and explain to the aphid and jerry b. That they broke the broke the rules then your as good almost as good as skymama.

If you can find the mods that are to busy to us a sticky when there Mia. If you can do a fify there than you've earned my respect.Of course feel free to ignore my sugesstion.

Btw there is interesting pic floating around of some poor old dude and 9 beauty queen winners rubbing all their stuff all overthe poor old fart if your interested in seeing it and you don't have have to look if you don't want to it is available from DSE, JAY STOKES, Gary PEEK its sfw or art studio.

9 to 1 odds even a nobody old man can be gropped in public against his warning that his wife of 40 yrs was takeing the pictures. Those ladies ignored the request and humiliated the poor old fart in public.

We all know men don't understand the meaning of no, is this the new normal for young ladies these days now the new young women have decided it's time for payback. no :ph34r: now means yes.

Warning if you look at the at the pic don't do it over your keyboard with warem coffee in your mouth you might either laugh harder than you want or puke.[:/]

We all know what pea gravel is
One Jump Wonder

Krip

We did "hook-ups " during freefall when we found ourselves headed into each other and shot accuracy whenever we could get anywhere near the peas.

FIFY :P

Hi nice lady

Thanks for droping by by.

How have you been ?

Interesting ........................................he at the pic don't do it over your keyboard with warem coffee in your mouth you might either laugh harder than you want or puke.[:/]

We all know what pea gravel is

Huh?? :|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."