aphid

Info re an older photo?

This has been up on the wall in poster-size at one of my favourite DZ's for many years. I'd like to see the photog receive their due credit, so I've periodically scoured the 'Net to purchase a copy.

I have been told (unsubstantiated) this was shot over Coolidge in days past with Larry Hill piloting the DC3. Other than that, I know nothing about it and even less the wild bunch who decided that parasitic-drag is for sissies.

Can anybody here flesh-out the bigger story?

I do believe it was in that general area (I think it was later than Casa Grande). Don't know the details or the exact date (beyond the early 80s ish), though.

I don't want to rain on this, but if it was posted or moved to H&T, you would probably get more response from folks who don't frequent the Bonfire (anymore), but do still pop in there from time to time.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I don't want to rain on this, but if it was posted or moved to H&T, you would probably get more response from folks who don't frequent the Bonfire (anymore), but do still pop in there from time to time.

To the OP: no problem moving it, just let me or one of the other Mods know.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

As you wish. I'm agreeable.

aphid

As you wish. I'm agreeable.

See pm first. :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

The picture is from about 1988 and it was taken at Coolidge. I was there for the Valentines Day Boogie,around that time frame and the picture was being shown then. The picture you have Is one of the modified ones with the N number airbrushed out. The goal was to see how many floaters you could get on a DC3. There is a knotted rope dangling from the door (and possibly wing window) that a lot of them are hanging on. If I recall they managed to get around 25 to 30 people hanging outside. Tough to get an accurate count since some would fall off as others got out. It's possible Larry Hill was flying but there were plenty of good DC3 pilots working at Coolidge at the time. If you want a specific date let me know and I'll dig out my logbooks and check.

jimjumper

The picture is from about 1988 and it was taken at Coolidge. I was there for the Valentines Day Boogie,around that time frame and the picture was being shown then. The picture you have Is one of the modified ones with the N number airbrushed out. The goal was to see how many floaters you could get on a DC3. There is a knotted rope dangling from the door (and possibly wing window) that a lot of them are hanging on. If I recall they managed to get around 25 to 30 people hanging outside. Tough to get an accurate count since some would fall off as others got out. It's possible Larry Hill was flying but there were plenty of good DC3 pilots working at Coolidge at the time. If you want a specific date let me know and I'll dig out my logbooks and check.

That would be great! Any chance you can name a few of the jumpers? Or the photographer/chase-plane?

Your recollection of '88 jibes with the conversation Kelly Wolfe and I had about it...

Sorry, but I was only visiting with some people from my home DZ (Cal City) at the time. The only names I can think of that might have been around are Sammy Ramos, he was around organizing large diamond formations at the time, and Rick Horn, deceased, was working as an Instructor/Load organizer at the time. I believe the trail plane shots were taken from a Twin Beech. Coolidge had a few of them at the time and it would have been cheaper to use one of those.

crotalus01

A similar (or possibly the same) picture is on the cover of Skies Call 2 (I think the cover but it may just be on the inside ).

Hi c.t.,
The plane on the Skies Call is a Lockheed 10E. The plane was last owned by Gene Paul Thacker and Bobby Frierson 1/2-1/2. The plane was at Bobbys' place and an engine caught on fire. As the story told by Gene Paul at the bar at Raeford was that Bobby called him and told him about the fire and said,"The plane caught on fire and 'Your Half Burned Up!'"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out