ChrisG43

1970 US Parachute Team Equipment

First post here....I just acquired the bag, main chute and reserve chute. Normally outside of my normal areas of collecting (I collect Military memorabilia, some aviation related in that category), but couldn't pass this up, if anyone has any further info on Mr. Neuman, or the equipment here please chime in. I can get some better photos and upload more if desired, thanks, Chris

That was Suzie's gear. She later sold her team Papillon to my (then) wife. I actually still have it in my garage (The chute, not the wife......) I'm attaching a photo of Suzie taken in April 1969.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Hi G43,

That gear is a Mini-System, built by North American.

And mentioned, it was probably owned by Suzie Newman.

Suzie trained about that time here, at a dz located at Donald, Oregon. I got to know her somewhat.

In previous years, Suzie had been a member of the US Softball Team. I always thought she wanted to make the US Parachute Team as just another accomplishment in her life. I think she quit jumping not too long after making the Team.

JerryBaumchen

PS) And for the gear folks; that reserve container was the 2nd version built by North American. The first version was completely flat in the rear. It took Johnny Higgins a goodly amount of time to locate the curved back frames to make that curved reserve container. He guarded were he got the curved back frames from; when they would arrive he would not let anyone else open the package or get any info from it.

Thanks so far to all of you guys for the information! Having that picture of Suzie makes this really come alive! To have an actual face and to know some of the history that surrounds turns an inanimate object into something really special. I'll try to take a few more photos today. The parachutes and bag came from a yard sale "picker" up here in Anchorage who resells his stuff frequently on Sundays up here. Was driving by after church when I picked this set up from him. He said he remembered finding it lying in the back of someone's house in the shed. Anyways, thanks again for all the info provided thus far. Chris....

Here's a few more pictures, I guess the last time this was packed was in 1973. Found the card in the reserve photo, also took a "peek" into the main chute assembly. What were the black ortho weights used for? I have no idea if they were in the bag randomly or for a purpose? Thanks, Chris...

If it was a small woman's rig, the weights may have been to help her fall faster for RW. The fat boys used small wings under their arms to slow them down (only legal to the elbow back in '73). There wasn't as much science to skydiving back in '73 but there was a lot of fun in it.

Hi 292,

If it was a small woman's rig, the weights may have been to help her fall faster for RW.

To the best of my memory, no one used weights in those days.

Do you know of anyone who used weights back then?

I'm thinking it is just some 'stuff' that got mixed in with the gear during some garage sale or similar.

Just my $0.02,

JerryBaumchen

I remember bak in 60's rumor had it that some of the real lightweight ladies used weights, but mainly to increase loading while under the canopy. Mid day in the summers when thermals were at work sometime the lightweights would almost standstill under the canopy.

danchapman

I remember bak in 60's rumor had it that some of the real lightweight ladies used weights, but mainly to increase loading while under the canopy. Mid day in the summers when thermals were at work sometime the lightweights would almost standstill under the canopy.

Suzie was no light weight she was a very fit lady with a lot of muscle. Not trying to say she was fat just a big girl that was extremely athletic. In the 60s and early 70s she was a top notch competitor on the women's US Team.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!