Krip

The greatest generation is fading fast.

My father in law was a tail gunner on B 17, only kid on the plane to make it out alive when they got shot down over italy. Thats one survior out of 10. The war was still on so the poor kid had to suck it up and find a new crew to fly with.

He passed away 11 years ago and now my mother in law is on her way for the final journey to hook up with her husband.

Whats this sob story got to do with skydiving history?

Rumor is that father in law got to keep his silk parachute from his one and only jump. Some nice italian ladies offered to make the canopy into a bed spread.

According to the famioy legend the nice ladies took the canopy apart thread by thread and dyed them, different colors and wove the colored silk threads into a tapestry.

Anyone hear about this being done? Or remember seeing one.?

I haven't actually seen the bedspread if it exists. But my wife is the only one in her family immediate family thats interested so if it exists she gets the silk canopy that saved her dads butt on his first and last jump.

First jump: no tandem, no AFF, no static line, no canopy course, just a shot up B17 due to a bunch of german mcnastys and their fighter planes, exit exit exit.

BTW don't forget your rig on the way out:|

We don't have any kids but if the canopy exists we'll pass it on to another member in my wifes family that she thinks won't make what I consider the family heirloom into a car cover.>:(>:(

R.
'

R.
One Jump Wonder

That's a great story. B|

Here's one option if you guys cannot find a relative you trust to treat it as it deserves to be treated...

Donate it to a museum or archive with the history behind it. :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My Dad made just one jump too, you can read about it in the blog I have written pertaining to his 64 operational flights made over Germany

http://wallyswar.wordpress.com/
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

davidlayne

My Dad made just one jump too, you can read about it in the blog I have written pertaining to his 64 operational flights made over Germany

It is a great read if you are interested. Thanks for putting that up David.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

BillyVance

That's a great story. B|

Here's one option if you guys cannot find a relative you trust to treat it as it deserves to be treated...

:) :)
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

Just curious about the construction of the canopy. One of the things that got me interested in parachuting was when I was about 10 years old, a friend's Dad gave us a parachute he brought home from WWII, a front mounted 24' bailout rig. The canopy was nylon though. Was there a mix of construction materials (IE: was silk still in use in WWII)?

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

***My Dad made just one jump too, you can read about it in the blog I have written pertaining to his 64 operational flights made over Germany

Hi David

Thanks for the link.

4 star rateing:)
What a treasure . Your dads attention to detail, starting from induction in 39 to release from a POW camps in 45 and the end of the war. The pictures of your family, the handwritten letters, to you mum, a real treasure. including your dads hand written flight logs

Wally even documented The contents of the different red cross packages by country of origin. I know Wally liked to have a cig now and then, and now I know, the yank red cross packages were the only ones that contained cigs.

The cigs would make a great, way to swap for goods and services with the locals and a occasional gift for the guards. I'm a little suprised the enemy let the cigs get into the camp.

Then theres the health hazards of smokeing:D:D

OUTSTANDING thers so much detail, its almost like watching Downton Abby

I wish we coud have details of all my dads (FIL) missions, pics etc. But he was a 17-18 yo kid over paid, over sexed and over there:D He didn't meet my wife mum until after the war.

One Jump Wonder

RogerRamjet

Just curious about the construction of the canopy. One of the things that got me interested in rs old, a friend's Dad gave us a parachute he brought home from WWII, a front mounted 24' bailout rig. The canopy was nylon though. Was there a mix of construction materials (IE: was silk still in use in WWII)?

Hi RR

I did some serious research to find the answer to your question, googled it;) nylon was invented by Dupont? Late 30s went into production 1940 the mcnasties started the war in end of 41 so you bet there were nylon canopies in WW2. Maybe more nylon in use towards the end of the war.

But there were also silk canopies, already in use, and in the pipeline. Talked with a man who saw a american silk parachute made into a dolls dress.:( and my dads Silk bed cover.

Sorry don't have a clue of the percentage of silk vs nylon canopies or their pruction runs. But when you google silk parachutes:o you never know:D

a German plane gets shot down over england only one parachute, all the village women grab something and go after the survivor. B|

German sees the village woman, splits in fear of his life.:D
Village women didnt chase after the dude they wanted the silk parachute.
Cut it up and made silk knickers for all the women in the village.:D
Silk had been rationed due to the war effort in england but whatever they were using as a substitute wasn't very popular.

German nylon parachutes in WW2? Maybe but, it was a American product

So many questions and such little time

Krip

***Just curious about the construction of the canopy. One of the things that got me interested in rs old, a friend's Dad gave us a parachute he brought home from WWII, a front mounted 24' bailout rig. The canopy was nylon though. Was there a mix of construction materials (IE: was silk still in use in WWII)?

Hi RR

I did some serious research to find the answer to your question, googled it;) nylon was invented by Dupont? Late 30s went into production 1940 the mcnasties started the war in end of 41 so you bet there were nylon canopies in WW2. Maybe more nylon in use towards the end of the war.

But there were also silk canopies, already in use, and in the pipeline. Talked with a man who saw a american silk parachute made into a dolls dress.:( and my dads Silk bed cover.

Sorry don't have a clue of the percentage of silk vs nylon canopies or their pruction runs. But when you google silk parachutes:o you never know:D

a German plane gets shot down over england only one parachute, all the village women grab something and go after the survivor. B|

German sees the village woman, splits in fear of his life.:D
Village women didnt chase after the dude they wanted the silk parachute.
Cut it up and made silk knickers for all the women in the village.:D
Silk had been rationed due to the war effort in england but whatever they were using as a substitute wasn't very popular.

German nylon parachutes in WW2? Maybe but, it was a American product

So many questions and such little time

Cool story. It makes perfect sense that both materials were in use particularly in the first part of the war. Thanks for the research :)

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Krip

Hi Folks

Its not to late to have your very own original silk parachute or a piece of silk parachute;) all in slightly used condition.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/World-War-II-19391945-/4716/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=silk+parachutes

Enjoy

Apparently, I already have a parachute that was made for dropping depth charges in anti-submarine warfare in my closet. A church member gave it to me, saying it was in his father's attic for years.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My uncle brought back a silk flare parachute and my mom made a baptismal gown out of it. I was the oldest but all of my siblings were baptized in it as well. I guess I was born to skydive. Not sure were it is now but my sister probably has it.
I actually made a number of jumps on a silk parachute that was part of the gear at the Ft. Knox SPC. I'm not sure where it came from but it was RW&B. It really packed nice but was heavy compared to a nylon chute of the same diameter.

We had a gentleman that use to jump with us at Greene County KY that was an original member of Easy Company Band of Brothers. He transferred to another company at the end of training in the US to help train another company coming through. He ended up making 2 combat jumps in Europe and coming home.
His son came out to the DZ to make a jump in the late 70s and he got caught up in the whole thing and started sport jumping with his son. He was 56 when he started jumping again and made 250+ jumps on round canopies back then.
I had the honor of taking him on a Tandem jump while his son and a grandson formed a 3 way on him in later years. It was after Band of Brothers had aired and I had a wonderful time talking to him about the characters in the mini series. No better man has trod this earth, he did well after the war and was not hesitant to share the wealth because he wanted to not because he had to.

BillyVance

That's a great story. B|

Bed spread has arrived but the documtation is less than I was hoping for.
I'll do more research and if I can find what Im looking for I'll broach the subject again.

One of his jobs before the war was a glue applicator, for building wooden props. I would have preferred leaning about making wood props. He was a excellent wood worker and electrican

Picture of the bed spread, sorry still don't know how to post them.

R
R.
One Jump Wonder

Krip

I did some serious research to find the answer to your question, googled it;) nylon was invented by Dupont? Late 30s went into production 1940 the mcnasties started the war in end of 41 so you bet there were nylon canopies in WW2.

1941? On 1 September 1939, Germany and Slovakia (which was a German client state at the time) invaded Poland. On 3 September France and Britain, followed by the fully independent Dominions of the British Commonwealth, – Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa – declared war on Germany.

With all due respect, the dance did not start with the singular event in Hawaii. You guys just showed up fashionably late to the Prom.

aphid

With all due respect, the dance did not start with the singular event in Hawaii. You guys just showed up fashionably late to the Prom.

The US was gearing up for the war for a long time. Just because we did not show up early did not mean we were not involved. Remember, there are many ways to fight a war.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

skyjumpenfool

The US was gearing up for the war for a long time. Just because we did not show up early did not mean we were not involved. Remember, there are many ways to fight a war.

I think the Commonwealth forces might choose to differ with your consideration that 1939 would be considered "early".

But yes, the Lend-Lease program that was formalized in early '41 and designed to bypass the US Neutrality Act was indeed a contribution. Isolationists were strongly opposed, warning it would lead to American involvement in what was seen by most Americans as an essentially European conflict. Fortunately your President Roosevelt understood the advantage of helping fund the war against Germany, while staying out of the hostilities yourselves.

In June of '41, a small number of your forces assembled in Newfoundland, Canada, and a month later moved on to occupy Iceland by mid-July to free up the British forces stationed there.

In the autumn of '41, US warships joined Royal Canadian Navy corvettes in protection/defense of the North Atlantic convoys of materials and food destined for Britain.

I'm not diminishing the contribution of the USA in the ultimate resolution of the conflict. But world-history does record it wasn't just all about you.

This thread began with an inquiry about parachutes early in the war. I apologize for derailing it, but I simply wanted to correct a misstatement by one of the contributors. I also happen to have a military round that some elderly woman gave me a few years ago, prominently stamped "US Navy, 1941". I'm no fabric expert, but it does look like silk to my untrained eye.

jackwallace

Did your dad get his caterpillar pin?

My Dad did and I have it here with me now. Read all about it here, http://wallyswar.wordpress.com/
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

JerryBaumchen

Hi John,

I could not agree more.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jerry

Remember me KRIP you contacted me and wanted to meet for lunch well in the old days we would have invited you to our home for lunch no question asked.

But those days are gone, for once I listened to the voice in my head and met you at a restaurant.

Now I know why:)
Our other house where the hill billies live well remember the scene from the movie deliverance those guys on the porch playing the banjos my wife family goes back four generations from those parts.

Trust me those uneducated hill billys are a lot more honest and hardworking than the Mcnasty from cali. Im trying to ignor them and its easy because the "Flt test engr" from cali doesn't want to write any thing down tried to steal 15' x 330' triangle of my land. They hired a lawyer, lied under oath, I hired a liscensed land surveyor.

The lawyer tried his lawyer BS on me but when I showed the judge the survey the lawyer sat done and shut his pie hole and opened his wallet to get paid.:P

BTW if you google silk the first name I saw a week or two ago was Roger Ramjet I was shocked it happened that fast and it leads directly to this thread.

So mod you bury this thread your messing with google
One Jump Wonder

aphid

I think the Commonwealth forces might choose to differ with yourconsideration
that 1939 would be considered "early".

Aphid I've got two specific question

1 why couldnt couldn't you resist braking the basic rule of this forum

But yes, the Lend-Lease program that was formalized in early '41 and designed to bypass the US Neutrality Act was indeed a contribution. Isolationists were strongly opposed, warning it would lead to American involvement in what was seen by most Americans as an essentially European conflict. Fortunately your President Roosevelt understood the advantage of helping fund the war against Germany, while staying out of the hostilities yourselves.

In June of '41, a small number of your forces assembled in Newfoundland, Canada, and a month later moved on to occupy Iceland by mid-July to free up the British forces stationed there.

In the autumn of '41, US warships joined Royal Canadian Navy corvettes in protection/defense of the North Atlantic convoys of materials and food destined for Britain.

I'm not diminishing the contribution of the USA in the ultimate resolution of the conflict. But world-history does record it wasn't just all about you.

This thread began with an inquiry about parachutes early in the war. I apologize for derailing it, but I simply wanted to correct a misstatement by one of the contributors. I also happen to have a military round that some elderly woman gave me a few years ago, prominently stamped "US Navy, 1941". I'm no fabric expert, but it does look like silk to my untrained eye.
One Jump Wonder

aphid

I did some serious research to find the answer to your question, googled it;) nylon was invented by Dupont? Late 30s went into production 1940 the mcnasties started the war in end of 41 so you bet there were nylon canopies in WW2.

1941? On 1 September 1939, Germany and Slovakia (which was a German client state at the time) invaded Poland. On 3 September France and Britain, followed by the fully independent Dominions of the British Commonwealth, – Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa – declared war on Germany.

One Jump Wonder