africapete

HANDBURY ULTRALIGHT PARACHUTE

Somebody dropped off a Handbury ultralight parachute at the airfield I fly out of - the packing slip has only one entry stating that it was packed on 7/28/1983 by Jim Handbury. It says Make UC 28 HPC serial # 7/83. It has a carabiner attached to a steel cable and we were wondering if that would be attached to the airframe and how it would be deployed - presumably by feeding the material into the airstream ? In pristine condition - I seem to recall that Handbury made a sport rig too ?

Haven't seen one of those since....about 83!

IIRC ~ yes the 'biner clipped to the main T yoke thingie.

You tore the red handle down and threw the 'deployment' bag into the spin. there was a single tether that went up to the suspension lines. 22' canopy maybe?

And yes Jim had a sport rig also about that time...I got one new in the bag! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yes,
That emergency rig was designed to be worn by hang-glider or ultra-light pilots. They just tossed to deployment bag through a gap in the wires and hoped for it to inflate.
That concept eventually evolved into modern ballistic recovery systems.

africapete

Somebody dropped off a Handbury ultralight parachute at the airfield I fly out of - the packing slip has only one entry stating that it was packed on 7/28/1983 by Jim Handbury. It says Make UC 28 HPC serial # 7/83. It has a carabiner attached to a steel cable and we were wondering if that would be attached to the airframe and how it would be deployed - presumably by feeding the material into the airstream ? In pristine condition - I seem to recall that Handbury made a sport rig too ?

Nice looking rig, it looks like it was custom made to fit you.B|

Let us know how it works for you, with pics if your not to busy[:/]

Enjoy:)
One Jump Wonder

One of these just came up on Ebay : item 183008222745. I have no idea whether the price is reasonable, or wildly optimistic. Could it still be used, if it passes a rigger test? Would anyone WANT to use it, even if it did pass?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Parachute/183008222745?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D51594bc3a8f94a65892439d50a53764d%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D162810452608&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

I bought this one last weekend from a lady in Spring. She said it belonged to her late grandfather in California. I have a Weedhopper and want to start going aloft with some protection. I got interested in the Handbury Rig when I saw a video of Jim handbury cutting the cables on an MX so the wing would fail. I have searched for that video many times since and I do not remember how I found it last time. Can anyone direct me to that video?