patworks

Any earlier CReW than 1975?

1975 – First CRW? -- Canopy formation AKA Canopy Relative work --- Bobby Gray and Mike "Beanpole" Barber made the world's first 2-way in 1975. Canopy formations are known by several names: canopy formations (CF), canopy formation skydiving (CFS) or canopy relative work (CRW or CReW).

oldwomanc6

***Pat,

I don't know if anyone did CRW before Bobby & Beanpole.

But I know it was possible!

;)

:o

Was that intentional? Looks scary to me!:ph34r:

Yes Sandy, it was intentional. With full gutter gear. B4 harnesses, 28' rounds and chest mount reserves. We did it around 1979. Here's another shot of the jump.

And yes, it was scary, in a fun sort of way!
:o

Wow! 3-Way CRW with C9 28' flat canopies! Group Insanity!

Yes Sandy, it was intentional. With full gutter gear. B4 harnesses, 28' rounds and chest mount reserves. We did it around 1979. Here's another shot of the jump.
- - - And yes, it was scary, in a fun sort of way!

Crazy shit! In '62 Cal Cary and ? tired it, went through each others lines, wrapped, spun, and got spit out the bottom ~800' AGL, Canopies reopened. Later, early to mid '70s teammates Tim Long and Mark Sechler did a passel of PC to ParaDactyl CReW. (PC on the bottom). But, both ran about a quart low anyhow.

SkydiveJack, can you send me more/bigger photos (ground shots too) names, location, & date? (I'm doing a skydiving history)
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

Pat,

I will PM you with what I can dig up. The two photos you see are the only two I have from this jump. We did some other stuff like a 4 stack with two cheaops on top & 2 squares on the bottom.

I will see if I can get you in contact with the photographer and see if he can send you better quality shots. Truffer published the shot looking up at the Tri-plane on the cover of Skydiving shortly after we did this jump.

There was a decent amount of round CRW done at Spaceland in the 70's; Phil Chapline another jumper (whose name escapes me now, though not his face) did quite a few and really had it down, I did some with another jumper in 1978 or so as well.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I would think just to get close enough to getting hooked up under a cheapo is an accomplishment in itself! Very cool!

Amazing. I have a hundred cheapo jumps and I can't imagine how you could get a 3 way round CRW formation with those canopies. Can't really call it a stack.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I would think just to get close enough to getting hooked up under a cheapo is an accomplishment in itself! Very cool!

Amazing. I have a hundred cheapo jumps and I can't imagine how you could get a 3 way round CRW formation with those canopies. Can't really call it a stack.

The funny thing was that it wasn't that hard. The three of us in the triplane photo had somewhere around three or four 2 Way CRW jumps with the cheapos. We got it on the first try. Of course we had a lot of other CRW jumps with squares.

Like other canopies, the cheapos had forward and downward speed. To close up a large vertical differance the top jumper would pull a riser and dump air to get to the others level. Pulling both toggles closed up small differences. Once you had the right levels you made sure you did the turns very slowely. We docked like a stack and then climbed down the lines to make it into a bi or tri plane.