DarlaJones

Can anyone identify this important clue?

I'm helping with the Golden State Killer case in California. One piece of evidence is a unidentified car decal that has a parachute on it. They have been looking for its meaning since 1977! Does anyone recognize it? Here is the official website for the case and the image of the decal.
http://www.ear-ons.com/BaseDecal.html

***I'm helping with the Golden State Killer case in California. One piece of evidence is a unidentified car decal that has a parachute on it. They have been looking for its meaning since 1977! Does anyone recognize it? Here is the official website for the case and the image of the decal.

One Jump Wonder

DarlaJones

I'm helping with the Golden State Killer case in California. One piece of evidence is a unidentified car decal that has a parachute on it. They have been looking for its meaning since 1977! Does anyone recognize it? Here is the official website for the case and the image of the decal.

Not sure but think Vandenberg AFB and missile test squadrons or target drones that are recovered by parachute

Perhaps a long and lengthy search thru these kinds of Patches.

I think Amazon is in the right ball park.

For the time frame I am thinking about the FireBee drones that the US used in Vietnam. It could be a patch for the unit that fired them, or since the parachute is prominent, more likely the unit that recovered them.

FireBee drones flew over North Vietnam taking photos. They then typically flew out to sea where they deployed a parachute and were recovered mid air by helicopters. Here is a 1971 video clip from Edwards AFB in California showing the return after a recovery.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675067713_CH-53-Sea-Stallion_Mid-air-recovery_BQM-34-B-Firebee_helicopter-flies-off

Hello

The fulton recovery system on hc -130 was designed to recover people from the ground or we thought but it actually had a dual mission.

The other half of the mission was:
Snagging packages in mid air that were descending after a classified mission taking pics from a satellite or something that couldn't land.

This was during the cold war and started prior to RVN. Not sure if the black birds wore patches advertising what they were doing. But the hc 130s were stationed in Hawaii for sure, maybe California and other locations around the world.

R.

Have you tried a google search under midair recovery system's.? Planes , choppers etc.
One Jump Wonder

I have looked at quite a few patches on the internet. Dan Poynter, who you may know from his skydiving history book, also suggested missile recovery. Numerous people have looked for patches that matched this. Nothing has really come close. I personally think it is associated with the Corona Project because, that parachute image is seen on planes from El Centro way earlier than 1977. This fulton recovery system/HC-130 sounds close. I'll be looking into this closely.

DarlaJones

I have looked at quite a few patches on the internet. Dan Poynter, who you may know from his skydiving history book, also suggested missile recovery. Numerous people have looked for patches that matched this. Nothing has really come close. I personally think it is associated with the Corona Project because, that parachute image is seen on planes from El Centro way earlier than 1977. This fulton recovery system/HC-130 sounds close. I'll be looking into this closely.

The Corona program was a Top Secret satellite reconnaissance activity that returned film capsules from space. I don't think a classified program like that would have people walking around with patches advertising what they were doing.

The Fulton Recovery System recovered people and small containers from the ground to an aircraft in flight. It did not use parachutes in it's normal mode of operation. Hence I don't think a parachute that carries things from the air to the ground would be prominently featured on any patch those operators had.

Your drawing shows an entire missile. I assume this is a police drawing from some witness. Normal missiles drop the engines and fuel tanks, i.e. most of their body when their job is done. The FireBee was a small jet aircraft, launched from a mother ship, that stayed together throughout the entire flight envelope and came down horizontally under it's parachute as depicted in your drawing. Although not top secret at the time the FireBee was not widely known to the general public at the time and even fewer people knew about it's recovery method. A two dimensional side view drawing of a FireBee on a patch could look somewhat like a missile to non-aviation savvy witness. I think your best bet is to research the manufacturer and units that operated the FireBee reconnaissance drones.

Jim West at Xenia, Ohio, has been involved in this type of research for the U.S. Government. I don't know just what program he was involved with, but I know it had to do with rocket type missiles and parachuite recovery. It wouldnt hurt to contact him, maybe he could shed some light on that crest.
Good luck.

Jim West at Xenia, Ohio,

He is the drop zone owner at skydive greene county in Xenia:

http://www.skydiveohio.com/contact-us/
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Darla, I've looked over your website and am curious about your band of sleuths. Can't tell what you guys are about other than my assumption that you specialize in cold cases. Are you former detectives, folks with an interest and help with solving these? Just intrigued.. nothing more.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

This group is a motley band of sleuths. From what I can tell, there are victims families, former police officers that worked on the case, random interested parties and people who have thier own POI. GSK/ONS is the worst of the worst and uncaptured. There are very few clues and even the ones they have are unconfirmed. Everyone working on this case, pro or not, is very dedicated.