SkydiveJack

Interesting old jump from Ilyushin Il-28 bomb bay

I stumbled across this video that by dumb luck. Hopefully everyone else hasn't seen it and I won't look too stupid for posting it as new! In the first 5 minutes it shows two guys jumping (actually being dropped) from the bomb bay of a Soviet Air Force Il-28. Stalin makes a couple of cameo appearances later so I'm guessing it was early 1950's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlxzT5GdUrw&feature=player_embedded

There is no information as to when or how high the jump was made from but you see the jumpers with extreme cold weather clothing and bailout oxygen. Does anyone have any knowledge about this jump. If not, does anyone know any Russian jumpers who they could send the link to for more info?

Dear Sir,

The L.I.I. (In-Flight Test Center), located in Moscow, was in charge of testing all the feasible escape methods for the crew members in any new aircraft, before put in service with the VVS (Soviet Air Force).

At the IL-28 first flight time, in 1948, the personnel in charge of performing those test were S. Anokhin, P. Eremeev, D. Seliverstov, P. Sovtsov, A. Petsukh, B. Godovikov, A. Dobahov, G. Malinvsky, F. Samoshin, Doronin Brothers and V.G. Romanyuk, so any of those highly respected and qualified test jumpers could done that particular jump that year, before the aircraft passed all government test.

Sorry for my scarce information, but I can not access to the Official Record Files.

Best regards
Juan Fraile-Nuez
Military Parachute Rigger (ret.)
Spain, Europe

Damn! Some people will do ANYTHING for a free skydive. :-) Nice freefall RW with those two. Rather a quick exit too. When the pilot hit that release, they were GONE! Looks like something we would have done when I was at Parachute Test and Development in El Centro, CA in '68-'70.
If you know how many guns you have - you don't have enough!