April 1982 Antioch CA, first jump student

http://stanmed.stanford.edu/2011summer/article2.html

An amazing recovery story. I was jumping in the SF Bay Area back then and never knew about this accident. I read about it recently in a Stanford medical newsletter.

Anyone recall this incident? Did she really impact at near terminal velocity as the article implies? I assume she was an S/L jumper. How could her main be wrapped around her?

He landed in the drop zone at the Antioch, Calif., airfield with a thud when he
heard screams and turned to see Deborah, her partially opened white chute wrapped around her like a shroud as she streaked toward the ground. Her main chute had never opened, and she was frantically clawing her way to her reserve chute.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I seem to recall this being on that's incredible or one of those shows back then...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

From the reserve opening at the last second...

then saw her disappear behind a hill in a little mushroom cloud — her reserve chute opening too late.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I was there and saw the whole thing happen. I will be glad to tell you what I remember if you're interested.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Benjamin Franklin-

I'd appreciate it if you'd post what you saw. Was she really wrapped in her main? Was Perry Stevens still running the Antioch DZ then? He trained me in 68. I thought his FJC was really good. Lots of practice of emergency procedures in a suspended harness.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I was a junior in high school when this happened. My father and I went to Antioch that day for an ultralight gathering.
I didn't learn to skydive until 1994.
Ok, what I saw.
Both my dad and I saw the whole thing from exit to impact. She was not wrapped in her parachute. It was a streamer static line. Now this seemed like it took a long time but I imagine was just a minute or so. We watched her pulling her lines. She was able to get above her canopy and literally was trying to open it by hand. When she hit the ground, I'd say 200-300 yards from us, she we spread eagle on top of the parachute. I still remember the thud she made and how she bounced like 10 feet high.
I will post more in a few.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Benjamin Franklin-

Well I spent many of weekends in the late 70's thru early 80 ' at the Antioch drop zone never heard this one.
But I watched Norton Thomas ride a streamer in, when he hit there was a big cloud of dust. Watched him stand up and dust himself off .He walked away with the a broken back .
True story

I wasn't here for this one. But, I do remember Jim Barnhill under a streamer as he came down right over sugarloaf. His reserve opened just before impact and he landed unhurt. I asked him what he was doing those last few moments and he looked at me and said, "All I was thinking was,....PLF like a mother fucker...just PLF" True story.

DOC

I remember Barnhill. I also remember him as the "meat missile" that nailed me while I was photographing and joining a three way. Unphased, I simply rolled over on my back and continued shooting. He married Sheri Kolander but I understand that it didn't last. I wonder what happened to them.
If you know how many guns you have - you don't have enough!

jrbirdmen: I looked at that photo on his bio and yes, that appears to be Sherry, although with the helmet, you cannot see her long blond hair. I think I see Linda Ballard also. Carl Beck jumpmastered me on many of my early jumps at Antioch and I have his log entries in my log books. I just have to say that the jumpers at Antioch that were really helpful were many, Gene and Linda Ballard, Carl Beck, Sherry and Jim Barnhill, Gus Evans, Norton Bob, barefoot Norm, et al.

Similar incident occurred at Waterville, Nova Scotia during the early 1980s. We were still using military-surplus harness-containers with chest-mounted reserves and FXC 8000 AADs. The mains were sleeved C-9s and T-10s.
A small woman (5'2" and 110 pounds) Harrell-rolled off the (Cessna) step and wrapped the sleeve around her.
Her reserve deployed about 1,000' and she landed softly.