Amanda18

Unusual facts about skydiving

[Because of the earths rotation parachutes fly faster & farther when facing west, newer jumper usually are encouraged to face east only when they land...it takes some practice & experience to land safely without flying directly north in the northern hemisphere or south in the southern ]

Although skydivers represent a fairly small % of the total world population, they account for over 1/3 of the sunglasses sales, due to the afore mentioned phenomenon by Twardo. I remember one late afternoon dive as a new jumper, making my final approach due west with no shades. I had to do a "mergency" divert landing to the North east and dang near did myself in. Still scares me to this day thinking about it. I'm sittin here at my desk shaking like a squirrel tryin to crap a peach seed.

[Because of the earths rotation parachutes fly faster & farther when facing west, newer jumper usually are encouraged to face east only when they land...it takes some practice & experience to land safely without flying directly north in the northern hemisphere or south in the southern ]

Although skydivers represent a fairly small % of the total world population, they account for over 1/3 of the sunglasses sales, due to the afore mentioned phenomenon by Twardo. I remember one late afternoon dive as a new jumper, making my final approach due west with no shades. I had to do a "mergency" divert landing to the North east and dang near did myself in. Still scares me to this day thinking about it. I'm sittin here at my desk shaking like a squirrel tryin to crap a peach seed.

Hey big man! Good to see you're checkin' in! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

There is also an emergency handle on our equipment for if you are coming in too quick to land safely. Pulling the handle allows a skydiver to do a go-around and attempt the landing a second time. An electrical backup device is available using ground penetrating radar which assesses the suitability of the landing area. In the event concrete/asphalt etc is detected the device will automatically initiate a go-around so that an alternate landing area can be selected. Advanced versions of the device can be purchased which link to commercially available mapping software and suggest a potential alternate landing area. Much debate has been seen in the skydiving community as to whether such devices should be mandatory for newer skydivers but the issue is divisive and as yet no consensus has been reached.

I thought the most hazardous part was driving to and from the drop zone. Have I been wrong all these years?

It varies to a degree, driving a car though hazardous is better than an Ox-cart.

...but driving ANYTHING there - isn't nearly as hazardous as riding a goat there.

however taking a roadkill gopher (long time ago so i may not recall the exact details) and doing accuracy approaches is a perfectly acceptable activity -- unless, of course, that you are Bill Ottley (RIP) and a wing of your Bonanza (again details fuzzy) has been designated dead center.

Ooh, ooh, ooh! Another old-time jumper just reminded me of some additional "unusual but true facts" about skydiving, as follows:

• The Downer You Are, The Faller You Fast - You fall faster as you get closer to the earth and gravity - this is especially true of BASE jumping as I'm sure you can attest.

• Sunset Loads - It is a well known fact that winds at sunset will subside if enough alcohol is consumed within the USGS grid in question before Green Light. I believe the formula is V=-3k/1liter squared where V=velocity, k = knots and 1 liter is clearly not enough.

• DZ Managers - The timing of canopy rides for the purpose of punishing low-pullers simply doesn't count if said stopwatch has been cleared within 5 minutes of the event. (throw hat now).

• Reserves - The number of emergency deployments is in direct proportion to the number of times ones mouth is open regarding the lack of said emergency deployments.

There! I hope that helps to clarify matters!;)

If one hundred skydivers were all wearing balloon suits on a successful formation dive, ie, all hooked up in freefall, they could land safely without the use of a parachute.

(Don't drop a grip!)

Pete

(It may require two hundred balloon suits. I forgot. First try one
hundred. If I'm wrong, go for two hundred)

If one hundred skydivers were all wearing balloon suits on a successful formation dive, ie, all hooked up in freefall, they could land safely without the use of a parachute.

(Don't drop a grip!)

Pete

(It may require two hundred balloon suits. I forgot. First try one
hundred. If I'm wrong, go for two hundred)

...already GOT that tee-shirt! B|;)