Amanda18

Unusual facts about skydiving

Hello,

I am a training journalist who is writing an article about unusual facts about skydiving. With a good enough amount of adrenaline, i do wish to go tandem jumping for the first time this year..Would you happen to be able to help me out with some facts?

Many thanks

Amanda

Hello,

I am a training journalist who is writing an article about unusual facts about skydiving. With a good enough amount of adrenaline, i do wish to go tandem jumping for the first time this year..Would you happen to be able to help me out with some facts?

Many thanks

Amanda

These kind of threads start very often exactly the same way.
Somebody registers at DZ.com, no profile info at all, then the "I am writing for blablabla.." and then a very strange question.

Ok, one thing "I am very concerned about the position of my balls..."

At freefall speed oxygen molecules are absorbed through the skin...if you do it right anyway.

The average student skydiver uses over 300 feet of flight-line in a year, whereas experienced jumpers use less than a third of that.

Statistically the most hazardous part of jumping out of a perfectly good parachute is the landings...those that have been injured doing it are called swoopers.

Because of the earths rotation parachutes fly faster & farther when facing west, newer jumper usually are encouraged to face east only when they land...it takes some practice & experience to land safely without flying directly north in the northern hemisphere or south in the southern -
- doing so can often cause what's called a 'spinning malfunction' on a square parachute. Those are non-existent on round parachutes which is why the military tends to use them more often in mass drops.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

if i recall from old days a corollary to the absorption of oxygen through the skin at terminal is that the oxygen greatly increases the metabolism of alcohol in the bloodstream which is why skydivers have vastly superior capabilities for consuming beer (and other additives) while still maintaining a high degree of mental stamina and coordination skills.

A subset of this is that it is the main reason for the popularity of longer duration freefalls during the 70s -- greater period over which the skydiver has time to absorb the oxygen.

if i recall from old days a corollary to the absorption of oxygen through the skin at terminal is that the oxygen greatly increases the metabolism of alcohol in the bloodstream which is why skydivers have vastly superior capabilities for consuming beer (and other additives) while still maintaining a high degree of mental stamina and coordination skills.

A subset of this is that it is the main reason for the popularity of longer duration freefalls during the 70s -- greater period over which the skydiver has time to absorb the oxygen.

That and the fact that most of the jumpsuits in the 70's were 100% cotton which allows for better o2 absorption...with the current poly-cotton blends being incorporated the obvious trade off for fashion is the raising of deployment altitudes. -ya can't have it both ways.

"I'm training as a journalist and would like to start writing articles about American politics. Can anyone tell me like, stuff about the United States and its politics? Thanks!"

Please ask your question in a more appropriate thread...see: Wingsuits.

Parachutes turn faster clockwise in the northern hemisphere and faster anti-clockwise (practicing my english there) in the southern hemisphere.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Parachutes turn faster clockwise in the northern hemisphere

Jeez, that's why Tempo reserves have that built in turn!
They were built in South Africa, and then jumped in North America. I can't believe I overlooked that.

~buy 'em books - send 'em to school, they can't remember which 1/2 of the PLANET they're on! ...:|

Though with the advent of the slider and it's effect reducing the shock of opening...it's still not advisable to open a parachute in the house.

Obviously you don't go back up after pulling quite as fast as you did with a round parachute and no slider...but you can still put pretty good dent in your melon.

Though with the advent of the slider and it's effect reducing the shock of opening...it's still not advisable to open a parachute in the house.

Obviously you don't go back up after pulling quite as fast as you did with a round parachute and no slider...but you can still put pretty good dent in your melon.

Ah. Speaking of which, in many Asian cultures skydiving with a melon is generally considered rude.

http://tattingmydoilies.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/watermelon043.jpg

Raindrops hurt when you hit them in freefall because they're pointed at the top.

You to forgot add...you would drown if you jumped in rain...if it wasn't for the pointy end of the rain drops opening up the pores in your skin and forcing more oxygen into your blood stream...if you do drown you'll wake up when your ADD fires up and opens your second chute.

hangdiver

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

Ah. Speaking of which, in many Asian cultures skydiving with a melon is generally considered rude.

Rude?! ...was it RUDE when the Germans attacked Pearl Harbor?? >:(

Rude?! ...was it RUDE when the Germans attacked Pearl Harbor?? >:(

Damned rude.