wdy_bnckr

40 years ago

40 years ago this month Bobby Frierson D 911 flew and Woody Binnicker D624 jumped 201 times in 17 1/2 hours to set The first World Endurance record..recorded in the Guinness World Book of Records(1974) and recorded in the Senate Section of the Congressional Record(February 2) by Senator Strom Thurman..record has been broken many times since then but I haven't heard of a pilot who flew the entire time..

Barnwell, S.C...packers were members of our dropzone, Raeford,GoldenKnights ,Green Beret, XVIII Corps and Charlotte..assortment of harness and containers which did not fit very well..PC's and a few Pap's..at 2000 ft..temps 20-30 degrees..harnesses started rubbing me raw at 150 and had to stop every 10 jumps to spray my butt with novacane

..record has been broken many times since then but I haven't heard of a pilot who flew the entire time..

Woody, you are my hero!! I tried to break your record a few months after you set it.

Although I didn't break your record I did set a record that no one in the world has attempted to break in 40 years: I still hold the world record for parachuting night pukes!

No one has gotten sick jumping out of an airplane at night as often as I have. I made 89 jumps in 11.5 hours before being stopped by a doctor. I got sick on the second jump and dry heaved through most of the rest. Absolutely the worst night of my life.

Read about my failed attempt to break your record...and the setting of mine!...at this location: http://aicommand.com/PukeDuke.htm

You were an inspiration for many years, Woody. Thank you.

As an aside, failing to break Woody's record served the same purpose as actually breaking it. Attempting to break his record brought considerable attention and a large number of new jumpers to my drop zone. Only the DB Cooper advert (below) for parachuting lessons got more publicity.

Actually, the publicity was worth all the puking. Well, almost.

Bernie///
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Sorry 'bout that Bernie..it's not as easy as it looks..I had tried the year before and had someone cooking for me but realized on the 50th jump that I was going o be sick if I kept eating..got rained out after 8 hours and 101 jumps..decided next time when tried I'd eat lightly or not at all...worked OK..