propblast

Old Alti II

So I have another "new" to me piece of gear, that I am trying to find out when it was made and for whom.

If someone can host a picture I have one I can send one. For the life of me I can't figure out how to do it off this tablet.

This altimeter is marked: Altimaster II on the back of the casing.

- black face with white numbers
- no manufacture markings on the face.
- large numbers 10-1. ( not the normal 12-1 )
- small numbers 20-11
- here is the kicker. The numbers glow as does the needle, and bright too
- Alti is tied to a wedge with white 550.

Alone ever run across one of these before?

I am guessing maybe this is a Military Alti but am not sure.

I have an altimaster 2 still; it looks nothing like that. OTOH, it looks a whole lot like whatever the altimeter was on a console that I borrowed for a few jumps early in my career (the console also had a stopwatch :ph34r:).

If you didn't say it had "altimaster II" on the back, I'd doubt that was it -- I'd say it was a 1 or something.

The "regular" II will definitely go to above 20,000 -- I've done it a few times.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

the altimaster 1 had a 2-3 inch deep case like the altimeters in aircraft. but it had the 0 to 12000 ft face with the orange warning segment at 2500. pretty much the same as the ati 2 is today. i worked for snyder (SSE) from the 60's on thru the ParaPlane corporation days. never saw any alts like the one in the pic

the altimaster 1 had a 2-3 inch deep case like the altimeters in aircraft. but it had the 0 to 12000 ft face with the orange warning segment at 2500. pretty much the same as the ati 2 is today. i worked for snyder (SSE) from the 60's on thru the ParaPlane corporation days. never saw any alts like the one in the pic

It also had a much 'fatter' needle than what's seen today. I still have the one I got in '76...sometimes funny when someone notices only red @ 2500'

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

What you have is part of an alti designed for military night jumps. The battery box is missing on yours.

I have one that's very similar - see photos attached. This also says Altimaster II on the back but the dial is slightly different and mine goes to 12/24k.

The label on the battery box (photo c) says Altimeter MA2-30 A. I have no idea when these were made, but I bought mine from a British army surplus shop for a few pounds about 15 years ago. Used it on a couple of night jumps and it's certainly better than trying to attach a cylume to a regular alti.

Since everyone is showing theirs. I’ll show you mine. ;) Not sure of the nomenclature on this one. I’d have to take it apart to find that and if I remember right it might be sterile anyway. The thick base is for holding watch batteries in the corners. There are red lights at 3,6,9 and 12.

ATW,
Cael

It also had a much 'fatter' needle than what's seen today. I still have the one I got in '76...sometimes funny when someone notices only red @ 2500'

Here are my Alti's thru the years.

Quite rightly;)

So i picked up another Alti. This one is a Northstar. It came with a unattached wrist strap kit. The kit I am sure is the wrist kit for a ALTI 2.

This NS alti only has three corner holes to attach it to a wrist mount or a wedge. This makes it different than the Alti II.

Where these ever wrist mounted and if so how?

I am assuming this one was a chest reserve mount with a plate.

Thanks for your time. I am not a collector and like to jump older gear. People hear Im a skydiver and i end up with some odd stuff. Not a bad deal.
Propblast