patworks

Jumpsuit Grippers

1974 ? Jumpsuit Grippers
Today all FS jumpsuits sport “grippers” off-the-shelf.
Repeated failures led to corrective action. When building round star formations, grips are were the weak link. Big rounds required big hands and strong grips. Men and women with small hands just couldn’t hang on. So, for record attempts, we dispatched runners to the hardware store for 1” rubber hose. Tacked to your sleeve, the hose permitted a stronger and more flexible grip than wrist-grips allowed. Voila!

I've got smaller hands. I had the best luck grabbing a handful of material rather than a wrist. It seemed like everyone had belled jump suit for a while.

It also helped to keep a little bend in your elbow to obsorb some of the tension on a bigger star.

I wonder if most younger jumpers even know what a star is....I haven't heard that term in a long time. Jerry Bird's All Stars are one team I'll never forget.

I miss those days. All you had to remember was to look for something round and get in. Everything else was muscle memory....

i once tried to dock on a balloon suit. Like trying to palm a basket ball. No grippers. I finally pinched the binding tape at the cuff between two fingers. Only thing I could get a hold of.:S

Didn't know grippers went back this far. My first custom jump suit in 1982 didn't have them.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE