jclalor

Boogie's

Four excerpts from Pat Work's "United We Fall". http://users.cis.fiu.edu/~esj/uwf/uwf.html ALL newbies should read this

The first is from Fall 1972 and refers to the Richmond RW Festival. Talks about boogieing at night.

The second is from March 1973 and refers to the Bayou Boogie but I don't think it's a skydiving event yet.

The third is from June '73 and refers to 'boogie goggles". And jockey goggles. The norm for many years and still for me are Kroop googles which were really designed for and still used by Jockeys. I would have thought that boogie googles WERE Kroop googles. Pat if you read this what were Boogie googles?

The fourth refers to boogies as fast action jumps, or different style of jumping. 1973.

A couple of different places Pat is referring to boogies as events in 1975.

Chime in Pat.:)

"The First Relative Work Festival.

A beautiful new event happened ... a lot of people who love to jump outa airplanes in groups drove a buncha miles to be with their people in Richmond, Indiana on September 9 & 10, 1972. A hundred-twenty RWers jumped at the first RW Festival ... there were no prizes or competition, there were no judges or hassles, just RW for the sake of RW. The City of Richmond hosted it, Tag Taggart honchoed it and everybody loved it.

The city charged admission to whuffo cars and made several thousands of dollars to support the Boys' Club. The RW people made several big stars out of a Twin Beech and a DC-3. All the self-styled, super-hero RW types made three tries at a 30-man and succeeded in FUBAR-ing all three in front of the lens of Carl Boenish. Everyone else just giggled and went up and made 18-mans and other big round things with no problems on "garbage" loads. Saturday night saw bonfire, boogie and the most beautiful RW films ever seen - Carl Boenish's great flicks of Jerry Bird's All Stars flying at the XI World Meet.

I believe the Richmond RW Festival was wonderful for the sport. The fact that 120 people from all over the Eastern half of the USA (plus California, Australia and Montana) came reflects the tremendous interest in good ol' RW jumping. I doubt that any recent local competition drew as many people. A lot of people had a lot of fun. More people oughta have old-fashioned RW Festivals, trackin' contests and Scrambles.

RWu, Fall 1972"

"C.G. Returns.

Comes this mysterious letter. "Thought you would like to know that I ran into C.G. Godfrog the other day. Seems somebody gave him a bad spot at Z-Hills and he landed his cheapo in a swamp where he was rescued by some Zephyrhills swamp frogs. I guess they were pretty impressed to have such a celebrity drop in, even though most swamp frogs don't know much about skydiving except what they watch from their quagmires.

"Anyhow, C.G. taught them all about swoops and other neat stuff like that, so now a bunch of swamp frogs are logging swoops in their frog logs. C.G. says they didn't know much about skydiving, but they really turned him on to the Bayou Boogie. He used to sit around on toadstools, but down there they use mushrooms; `puts a whole new perspective on things,' says C.G.

"C.G. heard about a 30-man attempt at Elsinore and thumbed his way out here. As it turned out the Hueys didn't show so they used two Beeches and two Howards. We thought it was a 27-man, but Ray Cottingham's pix the next week showed that it was only a 25-man with two guys breaking wrists less than half a second after a grip was lost, and another less than a second after that. Well, C.G. was pretty upset about that so he split back to Z-Hills for a Big Swamp Stomp they have planned for Easter."

Love,

Father Farkle

RWu, March 1973"

"....Goggles ... Some that allow good vision. Jockey goggles and boogie goggles are good.

RWu June '73"

""Fun jump" is a deceptive phrase. On the ground after the jump, OK, that's what it's all about. If you fly with people who dig a full-tilt boogie, fun is faster and BIGGER. This isn't confined to stars, either. Try a two-five or three-five accuracy stack from a Twin-Beech sometime. It'll blow your mind. It's the same trip as freefall. You can blow it really easily with a case of "heads-up-ass" flying. Accuracy is RW with the ground. Try it, together....
Tom Phillips, RWu. March 1973"

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Could have been the Porche or Portia goggles are what Pat referred to as boogie goggles. Or maybe the goggles Shakey made, which came in any number of colors. Messed up your brains perception of color.
I thought it was the Richmond Boggie. They spelled it that way on the T-shirt, accidently. We thought it was cool, but the locals were embarassed. That could have been the second Richmond though. Hard to remember the 70's.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

1972 was the original "Boggie " . They misspelled "Boogie" on the T-Shirts. Boogie was a musical term for the 30' and 40's. .As the "Boogie woogie bugle boy of company B" WWII era. Richmond was a bit if rain out but no one cared it was a start of an era. Talked to Steve Stewart via FB we all miss great timesthere

A bit of History: In 1972 shortly after the release of the first skydiving movie "Gypsy Moths" to the public, the stunt double for Burt Lancaster, Garth Taggart, was asked to do something with skydivers in his home town of Richmond, Indiana. Until then skydivers only gathered for competition at Confrence(Regions) meets or the Nationals held by USPA. Garth decided to have a gathering for fun, brought in some Twin Beeches and a DC 3. The Richmond Boys Club sponsered the ferry fees and the call went out to all the Drop Zones in the area. The turnout was phenomenal, lots of jumps and lots of just plain fun. In the 60's and 70's there was a cartoon character called the Boogie man best known for his phrase "Keep on Truckin' " Garth decided to borrow the name Boogie and became the first "Boogie man." The original Boogie turned into the Nationals at the end of the 70's. The sport was growing rapidly and had a bit of a "motorcycle gang" reputation. Skydivers were banned from the City of Richmond, In for several years, due to their excesses. In 1986 the Boogie was brought back to Richmond, and is going strong every Labor Day Weekend. The boogie is second only to the convention in size and number of jumps. Garth Taggart was home in 1998 for the Boogie and continued to jump and have fun.

cpoxom has the Richmond Boogie history correct, including the "Keep on Trucking" cartoon character. I'll just add one more fact. In the 2nd annual "Richmond Skydiving Show" Souvenir Program, there is a list of skydiving terms. Boogie is listed. Boogie: The term was brought back from the New Zealand International Parachuting Competition. It applies to having a great time either jumping, dancing, partying, or going away to a parachuting meet, etc.
Garth Taggart SCR 38

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=774138;search_string=garth%20taggart;#774138
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo