chuteshack

norcal dz surrounded by fish farms?

Nope.

I remember Calistoga, Santa Nella, Pope Valley, Santa Rosa and a few other NorCal DZs now gone, But I dont recall fish farms near any of them.

Maybe someone else knows.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Interesting DZ location, since this is in my area I thought I would do a little more investigating.

The closest airport where the "skydiving" is depicted on the map should be Sky Way Airport in Elk Grove, CA. Not really that close to the fish ponds actually (map attached, airport depicted as point "A").

I called the manager and when asked about the history of any parachute jumping she said "No jumping EVER!", in not a nice tone. So still leaves a question as to the origin of the symbol.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I called the manager and when asked about the history of any parachute jumping she said "No jumping EVER!", in not a nice tone. So still leaves a question as to the origin of the symbol.

"No jumping EVER."

Hmmmm... Sounds like a challenge to me. ;)

I think I see canopies in her future, perhaps next summer.

What are the legalities? The only off DZ jumps I've made we're from a balloon and a glider. Does that parachute symbol on the sectional mean we can jump there without FAA hassles?

I wonder how many other "phantom DZs" exist on maps?

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

"No jumping EVER."

Hmmmm... Sounds like a challenge to me. ;)

I think I see canopies in her future, perhaps next summer.

What are the legalities? The only off DZ jumps I've made we're from a balloon and a glider. Does that parachute symbol on the sectional mean we can jump there without FAA hassles?

I wonder how many other "phantom DZs" exist on maps?

So, for a jump at a place not licensed as a DZ all you need is a waiver for said location. Sounds like one could obtain the waiver without the AO knowing about it.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher