airdvr

Skydiver’s Near-Death Experience Points To Lax Industry Oversight

Let me see if I have a proper understanding of this event. This guy jumps out, has a premature opening at 13000, ...

IIRC he has around 10 seconds of freefall before the premature opening. What is the normal jumping altitude over there ? :)

14k which is fairly normal would give you about 10 seconds of freefall to 13k...
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Let me see if I have a proper understanding of this event. This guy jumps out, has a premature opening at 13000, ...

IIRC he has around 10 seconds of freefall before the premature opening. What is the normal jumping altitude over there ? :)

14k which is fairly normal would give you about 10 seconds of freefall to 13k...

normal altis are 15 and 18 at SMB

Sorry I realised my post was misleading. What I mean't is that the 'industry norm' of 14k gives about 10 seconds to 13k.

If they do 15-18k, I wonder if hypoxia could be part of the reason he initially blacked out?
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Sorry I realised my post was misleading. What I mean't is that the 'industry norm' of 14k gives about 10 seconds to 13k.

If they do 15-18k, I wonder if hypoxia could be part of the reason he initially blacked out?

not likely. its only 6 minutes to 15 and around 9 to 18

not likely. its only 6 minutes to 15 and around 9 to 18

It makes a bit of sense. He's chatting and "woop"ing from the time he turns the camera on, til about 1:00... where he's apparently hyperventilating (not good in thin air). Then he's yelling loud enough to hear it in freefall, then talking loud after the canopy opens. Basically he's putting a lot of thin air into his system. Since he has only 30 jumps in 2 years, he's not very acclimated to altitudes (unless he's been travelling and mountain hiking). I'm sure his heart is pumping fast because he's excited/scared. Doesn't look like he's been doing much aerobic exercise. I think Nigel hit it on the head.

Chris

perfect opportunity to use the new inline photo attachments

[inline WTF-Picard-meme.jpg]

WTF this idiots talking into the camera like hes on Lettermen while he thinks hes having a malfunction!
i'd put money that the thread after this one is going to be a 36 jump wonder telling us a camera isnt a distraction at all.
Jump more, Bitch less.

What do you mean? I'm surprised to see so many jumpers not believing a uncontrolled canopy can or would hit the dz LZ.

Sorry it can happen I've seen it a number of times, the last one I was on radio and the dude died in FF check in and then he really checked out the way down... canopy opened @ 5K and drifted in circles and landed pretty much on the dz, only dead as dead can be, not one control input and the toggles still stowed. So nothing all that surprising about it.

Now THAT is spotting!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Would the USA ever allow the USPA to actually govern the sport, by making rules instead of guidelines?

USPA does have "rules", called Basic Safety REQUIREMENTS". However USPA is not a government agency and can't make rules enforceable by any entity other than itself. In other words, skydiving in the US is mainly self-regulated and that system has worked very well.

The last thing we need is government regulations created by people who don't understand the first thing about parachutes or staying alive while using them.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

What do you mean? I'm surprised to see so many jumpers not believing a uncontrolled canopy can or would hit the dz LZ.

Sorry it can happen I've seen it a number of times, the last one I was on radio and the dude died in FF check in and then he really checked out the way down... canopy opened @ 5K and drifted in circles and landed pretty much on the dz, only dead as dead can be, not one control input and the toggles still stowed. So nothing all that surprising about it.

Now THAT is spotting!

Nah, just a rare canopy called The Homing Canopy.

30 jumps in two years is not a lot of currency.
Frankly, he should have cut away from a clear malfunction.
The full raw video can be found at:
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/8352090-raw-video-complete-recording-of-skydive-mishap/

Epic fail of an amateur skydiver more concerned with his video than dealing with the real situation.

In other words, skydiving in the US is mainly self-regulated and that system has worked very well.

Really? Yes it's been self regulated but it doesn't really work all that well at a lot of dz's.

You may make think not...but it's actually pretty good now - ya should have been here 25 years ago! :S;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You may make think not...but it's actually pretty good now - ya should have been here 25 years ago! :S;)

Twenty-five years ago? That's when some DZ's student gear was only 5 years old. There's some real garage sale gutter gear floating around as rentals at some DZ's. My son described some rental gear at an unnamed DZ to me and I told him not to jump there anymore. :|

35 years ago, we were jumpen shit the military didn't want anymore. Duh! ;)
Rental gear (or any gear for that matter) doesn't have to be new. It'd be nice if it was airworthy though?
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a645Wx_ymsA

Flores, according to the utube vids' that he has now removed started in 2010.

The DZ is at this point not answereing their phone, or perhaps better said not answereing any questions about this liar and deceptive individual!

I want to remind everyone that he intentionally lied and decived everyone there in CA. I find it hard to understand the many comments regarding the DZ has responsibility for this lier's decitful actions!
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Reminds me of the slip and fall people in the grocery store.

Then they roll the video and the scam artist is using a squirt bottle to lube the tile. To slip on. "Clean up on aisle 6":ph34r:

I almost felt sorry for the dude when he was being interviewed for the news clip in a outdoor cafe. The look on the dudes face was priceless as he retold his story.

Do they have a lot of wanna be actors in the bay area?

One Jump Wonder

I want to remind everyone that he intentionally lied and decived everyone there in CA. I find it hard to understand the many comments regarding the DZ has responsibility for this lier's decitful actions!

Chris, I do not know the whole story! But, what you, me, DZO's, and every skydiver boarding an aircraft need to realize is this...
This shit is ending up on video! If there is anything that would appear to have the ability to draw negative attention to you, it will!

This is the lesson to be learned here. As I said up thread, dot your I's and cross your T's.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Chris, I do not know the whole story! But, what you, me, DZO's, and every skydiver boarding an aircraft need to realize is this...
This shit is ending up on video! If there is anything that would appear to have the ability to draw negative attention to you, it will!

This is the lesson to be learned here. As I said up thread, dot your I's and cross your T's.

You are pointing towards a scary, slippery slope ... no more jokes onboard the airplane ... manifest ... no wait a minute: the DZ's senior-most rigger rigidly inspecting every visiting rig and grounding many long before the FAA (or manufacturers) ... etc.
No linked exits ...
Ending in "fun-jumping" being banished from tandem-factories ... errrr ... DZs.
Scary!

True; but a video that highlights the douchebagness of the taker is kind of just payment. It should not highlight other problems, which can then detract from the douchebag statement.

And gear that a novice (or anyone else, really) rents should be more like a test designed to pass, rather than a test designed to fail. Just like aircraft should be well enough maintained that, while jumpers can question the DZO, they don't have to.

When you say "this rig is not intended for any specific use" you shouldn't really mean it :|

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

i agree its awesome for us to see him being a dbag blow up in his face, but for the image of the sport in the FAA/publics eyes its not in our best interests.

i also agree that any gear that is for use by others should be maintained, but in this type of sport i feel the ultimate responsibility for personal safety lies with the end user (douchebag in this case). its similiar to if you only use packers and then complain about a malfunction you had.
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

The ultimate responsibility is the jumper's, and yes, a novice is still a licensed jumper. When you were 16, how much did you know about your car, or did your parents maintain it for you?

I'd prefer to see more encouraging of jumpers, particularly younger ones, to question things. But right now it slows things down, and lots of operations (including the other jumpers on the load who want the aircraft to take off) don't encourage it for real stuff. As a learning thing, absolutely, but not when you've picked up the rental rig and are heading to the airplane.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

We figured that one out 25+ years ago as far as performing demonstration jumps...don't do anything you wouldn't want shown on the 6 o'clock news.

Almost 'EVERYTHING' is on a video somewhere when doing demos, and ya REALLY gotta watch those long lens guys - I got asked about a pic of me, head out the door of a '3 just after rotation...yes there was a seat-belt on the floor, it WAS through my keg-strap.

Be aware - you ARE on candid camera! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~