airdvr

Skydiver’s Near-Death Experience Points To Lax Industry Oversight

Cross post from the incident thread quoting myself here.

Just to add some light on the incident. I was their the next day and heard from the first person on the scene and the manager, as well as everybody else that was working that day.

The velcro that is being listed is what is leftover from the rig previously being a leg throw-out.

Every person that rents gear is expressly told (I have briefed people this as well), that they are NOT to freefly in the rental gear.

Homeboy had been flying in the tunnel recently and wanted to show off his back flying madskillz.

SMB prohibits camera use by anybody with less that 200 jumps.

I don't think I can remember ever hearing of an FAA report of a NON-fatal skydiving incident which didn't involve an aircraft (collision, etc).

How soon we forget.

Remember when Grandma " almost " fell from her tandem harness?

Fair enough. However, that doesn't answer my question.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

OK maybe I'm missing something. Why would being under canopy at 13k be dangerous?

There's nothing dangerous about a planned high opening, so long as you are the last group out and have stated your intentions to the pilot and fellow jumpers. CRW jumpers open high all the time.

The danger is in unexpectedly opening high and having someone freefall in to your open canopy. Or if you don't have the right spot, the winds aloft might make it hard to get back. This guy was probably instructed not to open above 6K to avoid those things.

How do you know the FAA was contacted? How do you know or not know if an FAA inspector was not standing on the airfield at the time this happened? Did you know that if an inspector is on a airport they are free to ramp check or inspect anything they want to on the airfield.... even a crash landing of a jumper.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

After watching the raw footage, I have concluded that "dude" made multiple mistakes:
1. He snuck a Go-Pro onboard
2. He did not pre-plan exit order
3. His left strap was loose, because it was not riding high in his crotch (pre-exit)
4. He back-flew
5. He only released his right steering toggle.

How do you know the FAA was contacted? How do you know or not know if an FAA inspector was not standing on the airfield at the time this happened? Did you know that if an inspector is on a airport they are free to ramp check or inspect anything they want to on the airfield.... even a crash landing of a jumper.

I suppose there is a chance an FAA inspector just happened to be standing on the airfield watching this guy make one poor decision after another.

Now lets pretend he wasn't there ( however unlikely ). Then someone would have had to contact the FSDO to prompt an investigation into an aviation related accident.

Hell maybe the jump pilot radioing ATC or other traffic in the area that there was a canopy descending from 10,000 feet prompted a call.

That call could have come from a number of different sources.
Overkill is under rated.

I suppose there is a chance an FAA inspector just happened to be standing on the airfield watching this guy make one poor decision after another.

Now lets pretend he wasn't there ( however unlikely ). Then someone would have had to contact the FSDO to prompt an investigation into an aviation related accident.

Hell maybe the jump pilot radioing ATC or other traffic in the area that there was a canopy descending from 10,000 feet prompted a call.

That call could have come from a number of different sources.

EMT's maybe?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Maybe the pilot filed an ANSR report to cover his ass for dropping that unsealed rig? There are many questions left unanswered as too how all of this went down.

Did the family of dumbass call the FSDO? If they did the FAA is required to respond.

Let me see if I have a proper understanding of this event. This guy jumps out, has a premature opening at 13000, passes out shortly after opening and lands on the grass, on the airport, near the runway? And he videos the whole thing?
Doesn't pass the smell test...
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

What do you mean? I'm surprised to see so many jumpers not believing a uncontrolled canopy can or would hit the dz LZ.

Sorry it can happen I've seen it a number of times, the last one I was on radio and the dude died in FF check in and then he really checked out the way down... canopy opened @ 5K and drifted in circles and landed pretty much on the dz, only dead as dead can be, not one control input and the toggles still stowed. So nothing all that surprising about it.

What do you mean? I'm surprised to see so many jumpers not believing a uncontrolled canopy can or would hit the dz LZ.

he didn't hit the lz, he did hit near the main hanger. The lz and the hangar are at opposite ends of the runway from each other. just to clarify.

edit: wording

Let me see if I have a proper understanding of this event. This guy jumps out, has a premature opening at 13000, passes out shortly after opening and lands on the grass, on the airport, near the runway? And he videos the whole thing?
Doesn't pass the smell test...

Watch the video (from 3 minute mark until he lands at about the 16 minute mark). It does sound unbelievable, but the video will convince you it actually happened. He is one lucky sob.

Let me see if I have a proper understanding of this event. This guy jumps out, has a premature opening at 13000, ...

IIRC he has around 10 seconds of freefall before the premature opening. What is the normal jumping altitude over there ? :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM