jncoughlin

50 yr old newbie

Are there any 50+ freefliers out there? I know of Pat Works (how old is he anyway?) but are there any others? How do the younger freefliers treat them?

I know of at least 1 that I try and jump with him every few weeks... my DZO, Jim West. We threw him a birthday party last year for is 60th, and I think he had about 14000 jumps then. He took up freeflying a couple of thousand jumps ago (some where around 11000 jumps) and can out fly most people in a Sit. I've never been able to stay with him when he flips over into head down, but I have seen him swoop me in a sit before. The guy still flys his canopy like an accuracy champ and pounds into the peas on every jump too.
I want to be like Jim when I'm his age.... 60 years old and 15000+ jumps with no major skydiving injuries.
Political Correctness - At least one person at any one time will be offended by something

Breaking something is possible. It depends on what type of jumps your doing.
I've broken both legs twice :-) in 3 different incidents.
The first was a naked demo. (14 years ago).
The second was a night demo. (5 years ago)
The third was off my bicycle in the driveway (2 years ago).
In between the first two I had 2 heart attacks and bypass surgery :-) (900 jumps ago).
What are you whining about :-) just do it.
By the way I'm 54.
Red, White and Blue Skies,
John T. Brasher D-5166
Red, White and Blue Skies,
John T. Brasher D-5166

Whining? I didn't think I was whining! I can't believe everything you have been through. But, you see, you may be 54 now, but you weren't 54 when you started! If, financially, it is possible, I will take lessons in the spring. My DZ offers static line as well as AFF. What would be the better way to go, in your opinion? Could you answer this question for me, how long or how many jumps did you do before you felt comfortable in your landings? What I mean is, were you scared to land on your own for the first few jumps?
J

Jan,
I was scared of most everything when I first started. But sometimes fear is a good thing. Getting the adrenaline pumping from fear can make you more alert and ready for whatever happens. I felt the same way when I first starting riding broncs. After you get a 100 or so jumps it won't be scary any more. It'll just be really really fun. Don't worry about landing on your own. Most DZ's have a radio in you helmet so they can talk you down and you will start with a really big slow canopy. When I started in the olden days, everything was static line. It worked okay and is still used at many drop zones. Aff may be a better way to go though. My daughter wants to make another jump. She has already made one tandem. I think we'll go with Aff if she chooses to continue.