frawley308

Pop Top Belly Reserve

The Pop Top was invented by Dan Poynter (while working for Ted Strong) based on an Air Force back pack.

John Sherman bought the rights and adapted it to the SST/Racer.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

Hi Steve,

based on an Air Force back pack.

If one ever sees and old Air Force B-5 rig you will see what Poynter developed into the PopTop. Two local guys back in the 60's made their own piggyback rigs with the reserve container based upon a B-5; they just canted the ripcord pins across the container diagonally.

I won't speak for John but the story 'back in the day' was that John only bought the rights for use as a piggyback rig; Ted would not sell the rights for the chest pack version. Or so the rumor mill had it.

JerryBaumchen

The Pop Top was invented by Dan Poynter (while working for Ted Strong) based on an Air Force back pack.

No more calls, we have a winner.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

No idea who he is ;), but someone should get the FAA on him for jumping over cloud.

Pretty sure there was an exclusion for military training exercises.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If one ever sees and old Air Force B-5 rig you will see what Poynter developed into the PopTop.

You mean like this dude?
No idea who he is ;), but someone should get the FAA on him for jumping over cloud.
"
Hey Chappy!!

The photo......Joe Kittinger!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Not trying to harp on your comment. But military training rarely get exclusions for most things. The value of training doesn't supersede rules or safety. Operational requirements and missions can be sometimes left up to certain people's discretion. These operational do still have limits but for mission success can have a little more flexibility.

Plus I think you missed joke.

Not trying to harp on your comment. But military training rarely get exclusions for most things. The value of training doesn't supersede rules or safety. Operational requirements and missions can be sometimes left up to certain people's discretion. These operational do still have limits but for mission success can have a little more flexibility.

I think you missed my joke.

Perhaps I should include the :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I think you missed my joke.

Perhaps I should include the

There really wasn't a joke because it wasn't a training exercise and because of what I stated previously. It really didn't make any sense for those people that deal with stuff like this regularly. Which is what I was getting at. No matter how many or what emoticons you could have used, it still didn't make sense.

In the US military operations of any type are exempt from FAR's.

Sparky

Sections 105.5, 105.9, 105.13, 105.15, 105.17, 105.19 through 105.23, 105.25(a)(1) and 105.27 of this part do not apply to a parachute operation conducted by a member of an Armed Force—
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

In the US military operations of any type are exempt from FAR's.

The same goes in Canada for operational requirements. Training has its own set of regulations that aren't regulated by the Transport Canada (Canada's FAA) but by the military itself. Which is what I was leading to and the limits I was talking about. I believe this is the same in the US military at least the people I have worked with from the US have said it is the same.