1 1
edge01

Paradactyl

tbrown

I've heard that the Paradactyl (not sure by which manufacturer) was actually TSO'd for use as a reserve. There were a few people who jumped really tiny "double Dactyl" rigs.

Mig Fernandez and his wife Cindy would tell us about a friend of theirs when they were in Arizona that had a double dactyl. One day he was in the back of the pickup truck and the wind caught his main, pulled it out of his hands and was dragging him out of the truck so he quickly cut it away. But old habits die hard, they say he instantly dumped his reserve and still got pulled out of the truck.

Nevermind the reserve! Watching him deploy his gliding wing from the helicopter and then trying to fix the lineovers is pretty fun. That's a great video.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

On 2/2/2018 at 5:53 PM, Bob_Church said:

Mig Fernandez and his wife Cindy would tell us about a friend of theirs when they were in Arizona that had a double dactyl. One day he was in the back of the pickup truck and the wind caught his main, pulled it out of his hands and was dragging him out of the truck so he quickly cut it away. But old habits die hard, they say he instantly dumped his reserve and still got pulled out of the truck.

Here is my Paradactyl....I made about 200 to 300 jumps on it and had 3 malfunctions. I cut one away and rode the other 2 in since they were minor and I think I packed them into it. Would I use it for a reserve...absolutely not. Very inconsistant openings with it.

Dactyl.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dirtwiz said:

Here is my Paradactyl....I made about 200 to 300 jumps on it and had 3 malfunctions. I cut one away and rode the other 2 in since they were minor and I think I packed them into it. Would I use it for a reserve...absolutely not. Very inconsistant openings with it.

Dactyl.jpg

Just so you guys know...my first malfunction was caused by my packing for sure....I was having hard inconsistent openings so I added an extra rubber band stow to the nose slider....it helped so I added another stow....it helped so I added another...after like 4 stow wraps the canopy opened but the nose slider held the nose completely closed and never released. There were other canopies in the air with me and it didn't look like I was descending too fast so rode it in to kind of a hard landing. So I ditched that idea. Then I had an entanglement due to what I believed was lines not straight on packing and rode that in with no problem. My last one the canopy opened but the slider would not pump down and was stuck at the skirt band holding it closed....I pulled the toggles as hard as I could as a last try but the back of the canopy folded under and I went into a backwards spin at probly 35 mph rate of descent at least. Definitely cut that one away. The canopy was burned up somewhat so I sold it to a friend who had it repaired and jumped it for quite a while without a problem.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, andrewhilton said:

I had one of these things and would jump it every now and then depending on how brave I felt.  Mine had a line on the rear panel that was used as a brake, I never knew if it worked or not.  I remember Jerry Swovlen yelling at me "cut away" when I had packed it backwards one time at Perris.

• Like 2