DoubleDogDareMe

Old Canopies

Who here would know where I could find old canopies that were still in working order? i.e. the paradactyl, paracommander, ect...
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live... I wanted to live deliberately and suck all the marrow out of life... And not, when I came to die, discovered I had not lived." - Thoreau

Find and talk to old timers, see if someone has gear in their closet. That can be by word of mouth, just talking to older jumpers who might know someone who isn't jumping any more.
Talk to DZO's; long time ones may have stuff stored away.
Contact people on dz.com who have written about recently jumping vintage canopies; occasionally they might want to sell a less used item or have a line on something they don't need.
Very occasionally things come up in classifieds here, or on eBay -- although in the latter case people sometimes expect too much money.
As for Texas, Larry Fojt is someone who is known for doing vintage gear jumps and having multiple canopies. He's on facebook but haven't seen him on dz.com.

(I'm hanging onto my Paradactyl and my ParaCommanders!:)

Find and talk to old timers, see if someone has gear in their closet. That can be by word of mouth, just talking to older jumpers who might know someone who isn't jumping any more.
Contact people on dz.com who have written about recently jumping vintage canopies; occasionally they might want to sell a less used item or have a line on something they don't need.
Very occasionally things come up in classifieds here, or on eBay -- although in the latter case people sometimes expect too much money.
As for Texas, Larry Fojt is someone who is known for doing vintage gear jumps and having multiple canopies. He's on facebook but haven't seen him on dz.com.

I am SOOOOO going to dig out a bunch of stuff in the spring... time to move some of my collection of PC's old squares and old rigs... too much stuff... I might keep a Wonderhog with a 26' LoPo reserve and the Strato Star and probably my Papillion and the rig its in with the belly mount reserve for some future water jumps.. but I have WAY too much "stuff" and its time to sell it to someone who wants to jump it.

Hey Amazon, just wanted to let you know.....it's so nice to hear those canopies mentioned now and again...having been around when they were the only thing available to jumpers and being a rigger I've worked on many of those rigs, mains and reserves...even had one of the first Pappillions in Zhills, got it for my GF back in the day....but it just brings back a bunch of memories of good times...
Thanks...
tuna

Larry : http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?username=oldman;

I would second talking to old timers at the DZ. Even if they don't have the older gear, they shoudl be a great hands on resource on packing and the ancient technique that people call "spotting". They may even let you know what a WDI is, and what to do with it :)

I would not mind getting hold of another TerrorDactyl.. I put about 60 jumps on one back 30 sumpin years ago...Water jump.. yeah... but there aint no way in hell I am landing my big ole backside on Terra-Way-Too-Firma on one of those today. Hell, I used to pound in on that thing when I was a whole lot younger and a whole lot skinnier.. and in a whole lot better shape:ph34r:

Who here would know where I could find old canopies that were still in working order? i.e. the paradactyl, paracommander, ect...

Lurk the "Blue skies in memory of forum" For the baby boomers that left for the big DZ in the sky.
:(:(:(:ph34r:

R.I.P.

That's "Scare-a-Dactyl" B|

I used to jump one when I weighed about 180 pounds. Landings were always "feet, ass", but the openings were what REALLY hurt!

Kinda wish I still had it, though. It was stolen in the early '80's and it's weird, but I wonder where it got off to, as if one of my kids had run away! >:(
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

I used to jump one when I weighed about 180 pounds. Landings were always "feet, ass", but the openings were what REALLY hurt!

Kinda wish I still had it, though. It was stolen in the early '80's and it's weird, but I wonder where it got off to, as if one of my kids had run away! >:(

It's out there living a different life than you hoped for it.

Your expectations were unreasonable. I know you wanted it to go on and do amazing things. You expected too much from it and it broke, it couldn't handle it and fled. It loves you still, but can't reach out and tell you so. It feels like it disappointed you, after all it never could let you down easily.

I've done some research on it, and I found out it is working a minimum wage job as a car cover.

There is some "good" news, however, it found a girlfriend on the car next door. They are in love (they swear it's the real thing), but all that unsupervised time together has been a problem. They tried to resist, but eventually they were thrown on the floor at the same time.

Congratulations, Grandpa,

It's Pilot Chute!
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

It's out there living a different life than you hoped for it.

Your expectations were unreasonable. I know you wanted it to go on and do amazing things. You expected too much from it and it broke, it couldn't handle it and fled. It loves you still, but can't reach out and tell you so. It feels like it disappointed you, after all it never could let you down easily.

I've done some research on it, and I found out it is working a minimum wage job as a car cover.

There is some "good" news, however, it found a girlfriend on the car next door. They are in love (they swear it's the real thing), but all that unsupervised time together has been a problem. They tried to resist, but eventually they were thrown on the floor at the same time.

Congratulations, Grandpa,

It's Pilot Chute!

I'd be suspicious were I he...everyone knows before one can work as a car cover with any real proficiency...ya gotta get snipped!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~