SStewart

Name this plane

This looks a bit tricky to land.

It looks like a World War 2 era test of a rough field landing system on a B-26. When the B-26 left the active inventory, another WW2 era aircraft designated the A-26 was re-named the B-26 and was used in such places as Korea and Vietnam in special roles and also as a multi-engine trainer for USAF pilots.

There were quite a few "unusual landing gear" systems tested during WW2 and very few, if any, made it into production aircraft.

Hi Stew,
WTF is it??? Looks kinda like a B-25 or B-26 WWII vintage, the D/F loop on top was common to the era, looks like the L/G was some kind of experiment for landing on inhospitable terrain like snow or sand?? Well the gear worked for takeoff I presume?? Any other takers?/
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi Stew,
WTF is it??? Looks kinda like a B-25 or B-26 WWII vintage, the D/F loop on top was common to the era, looks like the L/G was some kind of experiment for landing on inhospitable terrain like snow or sand?? Well the gear worked for takeoff I presume?? Any other takers?/

Hi Mr Bill

Nope, can't imagine any use for it in RVN

Korea? those cold winters and all that snow. Not very many choppers.?

Maybe alaska back in the day?

Name that airplane? a prototype.:ph34r:
One Jump Wonder

I'd guess it's probably a trial for either snow/ice or grass strips but more likely snow/ice.
Ski's would have been way too large for retracting although I can't imagine tucking those tracks away. Also there are no provisions for the front wheel quite likely indicating that it was a test or prototype for the tracks before proceeding any further with development.
Just a guess....
Floats would have been interesting....

The aircraft pictured is an A20 Havoc bomber testing caterpillar-type tracked landing gear for rough field landings.

Yep that is it.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGdSCvuB1PUmgAPkJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1bjBxZ282BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDAyMl8yNTI-/SIG=120jn8aus/EXP=1327376687/**http%3a//www.youtube.com/watch%3fv=X9vmamugkI4