andrewhilton

2 Unidentified Rigs

I have 2 rigs hanging around in my gear mountain which I can't identify. Both are back mount harness/container combinations. Any suggestions or ideas much appreciated.

Pics rig1_1 and rig1_2 housed a ParaPlane Cloud canopy and I think has a Pioneer Super Pro Harness, however the container is not a Super Pro.

Pics rig1_1 and rig1_2 housed a ParaPlane Cloud canopy and I think has a Pioneer Super Pro Harness, however the container is not a Super Pro.

Can't tell for sure but that looks like a Rodriquez Parachute Systems "rod's rebel"..... at least it sure looks like mine.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Hi Stratostar,

Thanks for the input and reply. There's a Rod's Rebel pictured elsewhere on dz.com - quite possibly yours - but that has 3 pack opening bands ; this rig has 2 and they are neater eyelets and rubber elastics, not the metal spring and hook eyelets that the Rods rebels has.
Poynters records that the RR went from 3 POBs to a single strand of shock cord in 1975, so I'm surmising this isn't a Rods rebel?

Andrew

Pics rig2_1 and rig2_2 houses a 28' flat circular, not a c9 but a red coloured version of such a canopy.

she is a beauty. Love the blast handle :)

Yeah, and the non-symmetrical colour pattern -- that's isn't something invented by freeflyers of the 90s.

Plus there's the huge long W stitch pattern on the MLW, that takes in everything -- the reserve attachment, chest/belly strap, and leg junctions.

Is the 3 pin, diagonal pin flap a Style Master harness and container?

Pete

hi Pete

Can't remember that far back.

I thought I already posted my response. must have forgot to hit the post to reply button.:|

The curved ripcord looks like a pioneer
The bungees as described were first used by the stylemaster.

Jerry will correct me if I'm wrong.;)

My rig had the diagonal cloasing flap but if wa a old piggyback that had the reserverelocated for little people;)

KRIP
One Jump Wonder

Hi,

There are enough subtle differences for the multicolour rig not to be a Stylemaster. The bungees alone would mean it's likely not to be a Strong rig ; but I compared it to this Stylemaster and concluded it's not one. The matching harness is very likely to be homemade as Jerry pointed out.

The red, white and blue rig on the Pioneer Superpro Harness doesn't seem to match anything in Poynters that could have been from a major manufacturer.

Andrew

Hi Strato,

GQ security, if I remember right,

Time to realize that as we get older, the memory goes. :)

Guardian was started by a guy ( who's name I no longer remember ) in Southern California. He had some success but eventually sold everything to FXC.

Then somewhat later, FXC hired Dan Abbott away from Security to come down to run the Guardian operation.

Anyone out there remember the name of the guy who started Guardian? I seem to remember he started it when he just got out of the Navy.

He ran an ad once that had the banner: IF YOU DON'T READ THIS AD YOUR RIPCORD WILL CATCH ON FIRE

I've never forgotten that ad.

JerryBaumchen

That is why I said "if"..... :P;)

Also I no longer have easy access to the rig I'm thinking about to look at it.... I would have to go look in my rigger logbook to make sure....

http://www.dropzone.com/photos/Detailed/Personal/Picture_006_106361.html

It's the all yellow one in the front of the row....

I went and checked my log book it helps none much.... it's logged as the MFG being Guardian, the model and SN were not able to be read.

I remember looking for more info in that rig in question, and I did find an old advert with that rig in it.. my mind was thinking the ad was from GQ, but I can't say for sure and if you Google the FXC, you get the modern square system they make http://www.fxcguardian.com/

I have not gone to look in Poynters yet and I don't have access to a Beckmon manual anymore or old mag's.

"

... Plus there's the huge long W stitch pattern on the MLW, that takes in everything -- the reserve attachment, chest/belly strap, and leg junctions.

"

Yes, that long WW stitch pattern reminds me of the old GQ Security 150, 250 and 350, Safety Chute series of pilot emergency parachutes.
I only had to replace MLW and risers on one Security 150, but it took me all day!
The next time I was faced with re-sewing a Security 150 MLW (because of failing QE Snaps), I decided that it would be quicker to cut off the old QE Snaps and screw on a new pair.

Hi Strato,

GQ security, if I remember right,

Time to realize that as we get older, the memory goes. :)

Guardian was started by a guy ( who's name I no longer remember ) in Southern California. He had some success but eventually sold everything to FXC.

Then somewhat later, FXC hired Dan Abbott away from Security to come down to run the Guardian operation.

Anyone out there remember the name of the guy who started Guardian? I seem to remember he started it when he just got out of the Navy.

He ran an ad once that had the banner: IF YOU DON'T READ THIS AD YOUR RIPCORD WILL CATCH ON FIRE

I've never forgotten that ad.

JerryBaumchen

That was Gordon Foster and he was in the Navy. His stuff was well built and he was an excellent rigger. He made a couple of rigs for me and I did a modeling page with the
godflicker taking the pics for Sky Diver mag. This rig doesn't look like one of his though. Could be one of Hank the Cranks rigs. Gordons business went downhill after a guy went in at Elsinore wearing one of his rigs.
D4021, C8295, California Parachutist ID card #237, USPA ASO WE/10 7022 7202. Never did send my NSCR from '73 in but still have the old paper work filled out.