CFPasi

5-by side attempts?

I am looking more info about 5-by-side attempts made in 1986. Or other 5-by-side attempts.

Jumpers were(?) Steve Doggers Marshall, Trevor Joshua, Mark Allen, LP(?) and Johnno Gouws.

Photo by D Zuppinger.

Can anyone help?

I only noticed this posting now. I can give you the full story... first hand :-)

The photo was actually taken by John Gouws with my (Daniel Zuppinger) camera. When Hans Fischer printed the card, he a) put my name as photographer on it, which is wrong. and b) never returned the original :-( .

The jumpers where:
Steve Marshall, Long Pete Mauchan, Mark Allen, Trever Joshua and me (blue Cruise Lite).

The photo was taken over Klerksdorp, South Africa sometimes in early 1986.

We tried in various different ways to build a 5 by-side, but failed. We managed to do 4 by-sides several times, but never the 5. Had some interesting maneuvers though ;-) . The whole thing came to a stop when Trevor died in a skydiving accident a short while after this picture was taken.

Hope this helps.

Cool!

I almoust forget this one... and belive that it was part of the "lost" CRW history. More questions from PM.

About CRW history, I had collect it a while and there link to small part of CRW history
www.skydivehame.com/cf

We built an 18 plane over Rutherford Airport (NSW Australia) in 83 or 84.

It was a zoo load with mixed canopies from a DC3

In 83 or 84 .... or was it in 1988?

"Jumpers from South Africa made a 18-plane in Phalaborwa. They used a DC-3 from the Air Force and held the record formation for 22 seconds. Jumpers used Cruislite and Xenon (made in SA) mains. Earlier South African records included 12-, 14-, and 16-planes. The new record was jumped in October."

http://www.skydivehame.com/cf/1988

In 83 or 84 .... or was it in 1988?

"Jumpers from South Africa made a 18-plane in Phalaborwa. They used a DC-3 from the Air Force and held the record formation for 22 seconds. Jumpers used Cruislite and Xenon (made in SA) mains. Earlier South African records included 12-, 14-, and 16-planes. The new record was jumped in October."

http://www.skydivehame.com/cf/1988

Definitely in Australia as I was on it. I'll have to find my logbooks for the date but it was mid eighties at the latest.

Definitely in Australia as I was on it. I'll have to find my logbooks for the date but it was mid eighties at the latest.

So...sorry - Australia is little diffentent than South Africa.

Was it this one?
"Bush Pilots Airlines was sponsoring a record attempt during the opening ceremonies of Cairns airport, Australia. The jumpers set a new world record, a 21-plane, in March. Jumper number 22 was also in but not for long enough. In total, there were 25 jumpers in the air."

And earlier in same year, jumpers make some big way plane formations, like 15- and 17-way.

So...sorry - Australia is little diffentent than South Africa.

Was it this one?
"Bush Pilots Airlines was sponsoring a record attempt during the opening ceremonies of Cairns airport, Australia. The jumpers set a new world record, a 21-plane, in March. Jumper number 22 was also in but not for long enough. In total, there were 25 jumpers in the air."

And earlier in same year, jumpers make some big way plane formations, like 15- and 17-way.

This was built in Rutherford NSW (about 3,000 miles south of Cairns) It was the unofficial Australian record for a while so that would make it late 83.

Actually, looking at the website in this thread it would have been an unofficial WORLD RECORD:)

Hi Pasi,

I looked it up: The jump (5-by side attempt in the photo) was done on the 29. March 1986 in Klerksdorp, SA.
The jump was done from 10500 feet from a Cessna 402.

Some other facts that might interest you:
22.March.1986 4-by side also Klerksdorp, Cessna 402, 9000 ft. (This was not the first 4-by side in SA, but the second one. As far as we knew at the time, the very first 4-by side was done in the US a bit earlier).

Hope this helps

And it was those jumps that got me hooked into skydiving. I stayed in Klerksdorp, and cycled out to the club every weekend as a boy.

My dad used to call you lot crazy, and I wanted in on the crazy, and did my first jump course 19years ago.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.