lodestar

Mummied hand with ripcord

Back at the time I was at the Hills and during one of the meets we had a group of guys, and I'm thinking it may have been the Casa Grande crowd, put up a pole with a mummified hand and wrist clutching a ripcord as a marker for their area.
Can anyone pin down who that was exactly?
I can remember Searles and a few of the judges going over to their area and politely asking that the totem be removed as it was in bad taste, I believe it may have been a Turkey meet and sometime in the mid seventies.

From past threads, the hand came from an unfortunate Airforce pilot/student that was killed. It was until much later on that someone had found his hand and had placed it in the pea gravel landing area with ripcord in hand. The local authorities caught wind of this and put an end to the madness.

R.I.P. ?

Pete

From past threads, the hand came from an unfortunate Airforce pilot/student that was killed. It was until much later on that someone had found his hand and had placed it in the pea gravel landing area with ripcord in hand. The local authorities caught wind of this and put an end to the madness.

R.I.P. ?

Pete

Damn Cops....ALWAYS lookin' for a hand OUT! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I had a photograph of the hand and forearm, sticking up out of the ground, with a ripcord in the hand. The story I heard in the early 80's, was that it was the mummified remains dug up from an Indian burial mound, by the Casa Grande crowd. Supposed to have happened in the 70's. If you could find one of the old crowd, that didn't bounce, maybe the real story would come out.

I tried a little searching to be able to contribute here:

supposed photo of the hand
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=71450;

in the thread "The Petrified Hand"
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2443457;

Now, if someone only had a photo of the birdbath made from a bounce indentation...

BSBD

Edit: I've seen at least 3 different origins claimed for The Hand in different threads...

I answered this question a long time ago on this forum. The hand was owned by Terry Cooper who lived and jumped in the Phoenix area back in the 60's and 70's. He kept it in a refrigerator and brought it out to various competitions, parties and boogies. There were a lot of stories about where it originally came from, but he told me that he got it from the med school at the U. of Arizona.

BCA

There were a lot of stories about where it originally came from...

When I started jumping at Cal City back in the early 90s, I heard stories from the likes of Celaya, Philly, Cary and Hank that origins of "the hand" was something along the lines of it having been "found" in some old Indian burial ground "out in the desert" "somewhere".

:S

I was at a couple of mid-seventies turkey meets. The Herd is the rowdy ones that come to mind but I don’t remember the hand. I do remember 101 ten man teams, the ethanol milk jug cannon, hay bale bonfires, a semi-truck racing thru the DZ camping area, canopy collision with bounce off the packing shed, high wind reserve landing rescues (ground dragging and tree), round canopy CRW, bounces and then memory starts to fade at the big N2O bottles, so it could be just my memory…

The story I heard was that the hand was found by a jumper working in the cotton fields around the Gulch. Turned it up with the tractor.
Fastphil: the cannon was acetylene powered. The fire bottles used alcohol. And I thought it was 110 teams and a frog.
Dam 70's were tough on the memory.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316