ericleverenz

silvana wa crash august 21 1983

It was actually a Learstar, a slicked down go FAST Lodestar mod engineered by farmed aero engineer Gordon Israel and built for Lear by Pacific Airmotive. It could exceed 300 mph in level flight. VERY touchy near stall speed. Vicious snap when stalled.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

That is some accident report ! I never heard or thought about passengers falling into the cockpit during a dive, does not help the pilots, that's for sure. I could not tell if the gear was down, from the report. I would try hard to get gear down, and power reduced.

That is some accident report ! I never heard or thought about passengers falling into the cockpit during a dive, does not help the pilots, that's for sure. I could not tell if the gear was down, from the report. I would try hard to get gear down, and power reduced.

From the report: The landing gear struts and actuating linkages had separated from the wing.
One 1acdir.g
gear actuator was found with the actuating rod in the extended position and
bent at the housing.

This indicates that the gear was in the extended position at impact. Doesn't mean it was extended on jump run, but earlier in the report, another of the DZ pilots had reported gear down and flaps at approach settings to be normal for jump run. One of the best Lodestar pilots I've ever known (Bill Buchmann) told me not having the gear down on jump run for this airplane was foolish at best since it places 500lbs of landing gear approx 6 feet further aft than if extended.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I was not on the load but had previously jumped that airplane wiith everyone who was on this load. I arrived on-scene immediately after.

It seemed logical to me and others discussing the attitude of the aircraft and nature of the stall and roll, that one or more of the jumpers in the back of the load could have fallen into the cockpit from the cockpit door and onto the back of the pilot or co-pilot. Besides possibly pinning and or incapacitating one or both pilots, this would have pushed the yoke(s) forward.

IIRC, survivors who made it out from the back of the load described climbing up the wall to get to the rear door and exit, and that everyone inside was basically falling toward the front of the airplane more than floating back toward the tail.

Flying over the site afterward, there was nothing but a black smoking hole in the ground and almost nothing that looked like an airplane, never mind one the size that the Learstar was.
Ted
D6691 SCR 3975 SCS 2242 NSCR 698
On the road to wrack and ruin…………
but making damn good time.