andrewhilton

Riggers Workshop Omega System

Today I assembled a rig that I have had for ages. A 'Riggers Workshop' Omega system from 1978. I have posted pictures as usual on my
flickr site which illustrates many of the features of the rig.

However I need some help in figuring out how to close the main container. It is some kind of pull out system, but the only place I can logically locate the pilot chute is outside the rig. There seems to be a pouch in the back pad but as it is on both sides of the rig it may just be a coincidence. The pilot chute bridle and the pull out lanyard ends up located outside the main container as well, covered only by the large main container side flaps. It seems pretty messy but I have done the best I can to figure it out from first principles with a small hint in Poynters that the Omega had a 'hip mounted pilot chute' .

Can anyone recall how this system was closed?

Well, that rig has a lot of interesting features!

Hip mounted pullout.
A strange cutaway system I don't know.
A Dacron reserve ripcord.
Some sort of strap type main deployment system (with lines coiled in pack tray.)

Hard to tell but the short lanyard from the main deployment pud to the PC means the PC can only either go in the backpad pouch or under the giant blue 'pin cover flap'...

Hi Marisan,

Looks like the S Wrap that R&J used.

You might just be correct. It has been a few years since I've seen one of their systems. I know they did license it to Security at one time.

I used the YES system on my early rigs; which the R&J system is the same but with the pieces reversed.

IMO the advent of these systems is what caused Booth to finally license the 3-ring. At the time, you could only get a 3-ring system on his rigs; but with these systems available, the world was going to leave him behind.

JerryBaumchen

Poynters Vol 1 states the Omega is 'A tandem parachute assembly with Teflon lined reserve ripcord housing, no belly band, hip mounted pull-out pilot chute and "Reallywell" canopy releases. Circa early 1978. In June 1978, the Omega O.H.R single point release was added'

I'd love to see pictures of a 'Reallywell' canopy release, presumably the Riggers' Workshop variant of the capewell.

Beatnick what does yours have - single point or reallywells?

Links to more pictures for Peter's comments -

A Dacron reserve ripcord. (Kevlar actually)
Some sort of strap type main deployment system (with lines coiled in pack tray.)
The packed rig