SEREJumper

Russian D6 malfunction video

Jumper using a D6 has an interesting ride under main and reserve. More than likely would have been fine landing with the main though.

Video description: "A step- through malfunction caused higher fall-rate compared to 20kg heavier jumper who exited before me. On the other hand, the Z-5 reserve parachute did not inflate properly, as there wasn't enough fall-rate :)

The D-6 was packed for educational purposes - to demonstrate the shape of packed D-6, I managed to put it on accidentally :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt1pszGVxhE
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Interesting in lots of ways.

I was wondering how in the world someone could pack that and not no it until I realized it hadn't been packed to jump. Nothing like picking up the training aid to get on the airplane!

Four steering lines? One on each riser? And a canopy sewn together from handkerchief size pieces of fabric.:o

Anybody have better pictures of the riser attachments? Are those some sort of cutaway system or permanently attached?

I like the shadows showing the reserve finally inflated before landing.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hey Terry,

There's a red steering cord that goes between the front and rear riser, one on the left, another on the right. So it is effectively 4 steering lines. Each pair has one line going up towards the skirt just beside the slot in the front of the canopy, and the one that's at the back. The steering lines don't go all the way up; they just attach part way up into the appropriate suspension lines, as has been done on some American rounds.

Edit: All that is for turning. For movement, one is stuck with good old sideslipping.

Thus one is getting turning power from both of the small slots. (I think the front lines cross over so that the direction of push is appropriate.)

As for the riser attachments, that system is designed for no aerial cutaway. One riser is designed for ground release in case of dragging.

The riser release:
There's a velcroed flap with a big stiff tab. Grab the tab to open the flap and keep pulling. That pulls out a big pin (restrained with a bungee) from across the riser. That lets fabric webbing (white in the photo) uncoil from around the metal bar for the riser and the metal bar for the harness. The wrap is I guess a bit like a Strong Wrap.

Thanks SEREJumper for the video. I haven't jumped my D-6 since last year. :)