dgw

Deployment systems for a Paracommander

I guess everyone has an opinion on this. I don't think all that old gear is crap.

It's kind of like driving an old car that once meant something to you. It just wouldn't be the same to put a P.C. in a modern container. Just my two cents worth....

It is not my view - I have a small collection of older gear. It interests me. But, my real desire to use the PC, and all manliness aside, I think that best way (for me) is use systems that I am familiar with.

If the harness of the system I have fitted (and it is *way* too small) , I'd probably use the equipment as it is, but I need to get something that fits, and it might as well be gear that I am trained to use.

:)

I found my photo of a side by side comparison of a PC Mk1 in a bag vs. a Parafoil 282, to help get an idea of the sizing.

(I don't know where the PC bag came from, but from its size I figure it had been used when students still jumped PCs in the early 80s. I don't use the split flap closed by velcro, just like most people didn't use the split flap on Vector II d-bags.)

Many thanks - that is very interesting. The difference in pack volume, compared to a sleeve, is huge (as I am sure that you know... :)
As a matter of interest, has anybody got thoughts / experiences on the different opening characteristics for different deployment systems?

Darren

Hi steve,

I've got a paracommander that I'd like to jump. It's in a stylemaster main container

How about you pack it up, take some photos with a ruler measuring just what the dimensions of the rig are? That would help a lot in knowing what it might fit into.

You weren't doing anything else tonight, were you? :P

JerryBaumchen

Oh heck, Jerry, I can't even remember how to post pictures on here. I will take some pictures with my film camera, and mail them to you via (snail mail). I can't keep up with all this high tech stuff. Maybe that's why I still like old gear so much[:/]....

Oh heck, Jerry, I can't even remember how to post pictures on here. I will take some pictures with my film camera, and mail them to you via (snail mail). I can't keep up with all this high tech stuff. Maybe that's why I still like old gear so much[:/]....

Hi Steve

I never figured out how to post picture's here.

I've got some scaned but when I try and post them[:/]

TILT:(

To many pixels, or something. Tried to do a search on Dizzy.com for instuctions, but no joy. [:/]

K-RIP

I found my photo of a side by side comparison of a PC Mk1 in a bag vs. a Parafoil 282, to help get an idea of the sizing.

(I don't know where the PC bag came from, but from its size I figure it had been used when students still jumped PCs in the early 80s. I don't use the split flap closed by velcro, just like most people didn't use the split flap on Vector II d-bags.)

Many thanks - that is very interesting. The difference in pack volume, compared to a sleeve, is huge (as I am sure that you know... :)
As a matter of interest, has anybody got thoughts / experiences on the different opening characteristics for different deployment systems?

I had about 250 jumps on sleeve's and 250 0n the POD. Same same for me, no mals:)
If your going to use a pilot chute with the spring I'd suggest to sir up a little to break burble on your back. If you forget no big deal, eventually you'll start looking around and there she goe's:)

K-RIP

K-RIP

And here's a photo of a POD for a PC.

Which I'm just showing off because I got hold of it & a red, white & blue PC tonight. (And a Delta II.)

About 15" long, 12 1/2" wide, 3" thick when stretched out. Fairly compact. Pull the crown lines out of the #8 grommet to put in the upper stows, and put the canopy lines in the lower stows. (Poynters I, section 6.5.4 also shows a couple small drawings of PODs) The canopy isn't inside the POD in my photo; I've just got it stuffed loosely with other things.

Dear all,

A quick update. With the exceptional help of Andrew H, I lobbed my all black Para-commander last Sunday at Langar airfield, Nottinghamshire, England, UK.

Mr H fast-tracked the entire process, loaned me a suitable container and a deployment device, and taught me how to pack. I got a very detailed briefing on all things PC, to include working out the spot etc, and the staff at Langar were very helpfull - they even threw a WDI for us (this was the first time I ever really studied a WDI with grim attention..)

We lobbed out over the John Deere tractor factory at 4.2k, opening at 3.5k. This next bit might bore everybody with loads of PC lob shitless, but this is what happened next...

The opening, after about a 7 second delay, from a 'slag' designed and built by Mr H, was quick but very progressive / soft.

The canopy ride was very interesting (to me). I was amazed at how responsive the canopy was to toggle input (it is shortlined by, we estimate, about 4 feet +/- 4 inches). I was similarly amazed that I could get to places - the initial plan was land *anywhere* on the airfield. After about a minute or so of looking about, and pulling steering lines, I decided that I would land at a location of my choosing, and chugged on over to DZ control..

The landing was fine - I just did a bog standard PLF (like I was trained to do ages ago...).

I loved it.

Many thanks to all for the help and advice, and particularly Mr H, who really made it happen.

Darren

(The images show Mr H on a Papillion, and me on the PC)