TREEZ

JUMP RUN 1979 - Canada / Florida film

http://vimeo.com/31295887

Well, I made this film so what can I say . . .
Finally got it into digital format that can be accessed online.
I filmed mostly in Nova Scotia, Z-Hills and Deland.
Some of you may even recognize yourselves and others you know.

Enjoy this blast from the past !
Cheers. TREE

My contact is : hemshaw at gmail youknowtherest.
JUMP RUN 1979 movie is at www.callmetree.com

Thanks for the comments everyone, keep them coming !

If anyone has CRUSTY's email address please forward it to me.
He played " Cocaine Blues " 12 string guitar on the soundtrack. Tnx

My email is : hemshaw at gmail

Thanks for that. A bit before my time but nice to remember that people could fly back in the day even with 30 pound rigs and way too much fabric.

Hi Andrew

That was during the wing wars phase. When the larger people were gettng tired of going out base and started to add fabric so the little people started to add, and the big people added more, and....:D

K-RIP
One Jump Wonder

Thanks for posting the film! And thanks to all of you who jumped that crap so that we don't have to today. I enjoy coming in for a nice tip-toe landing. Some of the impacts in the film made me cringe. And you guys did this every jump!
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

I remember seeing this on television in the UK before I started jumping - I’d guess around 1983, or ’84.

At the time I remember thinking how cool this stuff was and that I really wanted to be able to fly like these guys. It didn’t make me rush out and sign-up for a first jump course, mostly because I’m afraid of heights so the idea of intentionally throwing myself out of a plane seemed like a bit of a non-starter.

However, a couple of year later a group of friends signed-up for a static-line course and (after several beers) managed to persuade me to give it a go as well. Looking back I’ve always thought that this and one of the Leo Dickinson films that was shown at about the same time played a big part in me doing my first jump, despite my fear of heights.

So Paul I owe you a very big ‘thank you’ for helping get me in to the sport.

Pete.

Thanks for posting the film! And thanks to all of you who jumped that crap so that we don't have to today. I enjoy coming in for a nice tip-toe landing. Some of the impacts in the film made me cringe. And you guys did this every jump!

Hi

Just wait another 20 yr's and read what the folks are saying about the stuff your jumping now, and your jumpsuit;)

I very much enjoyed the vid, Tree. It sort of reminded me of a 16mm film called "Masters of the Sky" I carried around and used as a promotional film when I had my own drop zone years ago. I operated a tiny DZ outside of Lakeland near Z-Hills in the mid-70's, so there are lot of memories in your piece. Good job! Mike Marcon

Thanks Mike. I think Crusty may have wandered over there in '75 to your DZ, not sure.

some more trivia:
Made the film from 1975 to 1979 with a 16 mm Bell and Howell spring wind camera model 240 (consumer model but it had pro guts inside ). Used a 10mm Switar C mount lens. It took a 100 ft load and ran for 52 secs, twice the time a Bolex could do.
It weighed ten pounds and I was very glad to have enough footage after 80 camera jumps before my head fell off !
( GoPros would have been a dream come true back then. )