Krip

How many jumps for first 8 way

Hi Guy's and Gal's

Had to get my log books out of my fireproof security vault to respond to and fossils question and thought It was time for another thread for the history and trivia forum.

Times change, equipment changes, etc. How many jumps did you all have before your first 8 way.?

We got ours on Jump # 392 aug 73 from a formation load, a Howard and C-180 exit altitude was 10.5 .

7 out of 8 folks on the load got their SCR #'s at a DZ located in Fulton MO.B| Except its hot and humid in MO in August:(

I know it's no big deal these days, read a post in the skydivng forum a few yr's back some sky Babe posts she got her SCR on jump #30 something ........ with the punch line Whats a SCR:D:D:D.

A SCR is a SCR;)

R.
One Jump Wonder

I assume you mean first 8 way or larger. Mine was around 75 jumps. It was done out of a DC 3 at Elsinore. Got my SCR. I didn't have the skills but 12 hotshot Elsinore RW guys made me look good.

When I showed up at my home DZ with an SCR patch I was grilled hard. The local skygods were certain that I had stolen it or acquired it through fraud. They had jumped with me and correctly concluded that there was no way in hell that I could have carried my weight in a 13 way.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I was fortunate enough to be jumping at Elsinore. Being a girl probably helped, too ;)1979

Jump #74 I went base for a 12-way, but it only built to 11, so that didn't really count.

Jump # 80 SCR yea! :) I wasn't just dead weight that the others threw around. :P

This probably isn't representative for the era, though. Most jumpers never even got to jump from a plane big enough to do an 8-way until they had many more jumps than this. On the other hand, I had a fair number of jumps before I ever had to climb out on a strut. DC-3s and Norsemans were the norm. I was lucky in that regard and didn't even know it till later.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

#62 in Austin, Tx in 1976; being a girl probably helped me, too. I was instructed to lay a nice stable base, and the Austin 10-way team would do the rest :ph34r:. They were looking forward to beer, I'm sure.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hard to do at a 182 DZ ! So we went to Wagoner, OK during the Nationals for a Twin Beech. #135 SCR 3589, 1974. Beeches and Lodestars were really neat for a while, then they started to be pretty darn scary !!
They weren't so terribly bad in cool weather, but on a hot day in Casa Grande with a pilot who didn't even have a multi engine rating ! Forget it !

jump No. 24,... it was sunset and there was no beer, someone said to me, if I bought beer, they would help me get my SCR, We took the D-18 and I fallowed them, it built, everyone was happy.

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

Hi K-rip,
#431 23DEC72, Otay,Ca., Jim McDonalds' Borderlands Air Sports Center, Twin Beech, P.C. main, 26'NAVCON res., 12,500' 60SD R/W, BEER!!! That was the SCR! Prior on #424 19 NOV got a nice 8-MAN but the late Brady Sanders "INTENTIONALLY!!Let Go and broke it to a line before 5 seconds!!!!*" That would have been my SCR had he not let go!AND! a case of BEER!!! &^*^%%(($#@**!! Almost only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades, not SCR's!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

#338, Xenia, OH, 8-man star, Apr. 11, 1971, SCR705, No one in the group had their SCR previously. Pilots Dave Ellis, Jim West, pair of C-180

Bill

Hi Bill

Congrats you all earned it.B|

What was the the total tunnel time for your group:D:D:D

K-RIP
One Jump Wonder

#338, Xenia, OH, 8-man star, Apr. 11, 1971, SCR705, No one in the group had their SCR previously. Pilots Dave Ellis, Jim West, pair of C-180

Bill

Hi Bill

Congrats you all earned it.B|

What was the the total tunnel time for your group:D:D:D

K-RIP

Tunnels???? We don't need no steeeeenking tunnels!!!:ph34r::DB|;)
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I need to get my log books out for this, but if memory serves, it was in about 73. I had about80 jumps. It was out of a smoke jumper, twin beech, in Missoula.

B.J. Worth, Fred Sands, Stinky, and the Tousey brothers were there. I got my SCS the next day. I couldn't wait to get those patches sewn on my jump suit. I felt like I'd really done something big....Those were the days!

I need to get my log books out for this, but if memory serves, it was in about 73. I had about80 jumps. It was out of a smoke jumper, twin beech, in Missoula.

B.J. Worth, Fred Sands, Stinky, and the Tousey brothers were there. I got my SCS the next day. I couldn't wait to get those patches sewn on my jump suit. I felt like I'd really done something big....Those were the days!

See previous post about patches and jumpsuits[:/]
Don't need no silly patches.B|

Beaver hunting in the winter is more than cool it's cold;)
One Jump Wonder

In the early 70's patches were cool. Every good skydiver that I met, had them then. I guess that's why I couldn't wait to sew one on.

If you were skygod material you probably had a 16 way patch. A few of the elite wore a night SCR patch back then.

I quit jumping for a long stretch, in about 75. I wonder what year it became unfashionable to wear patches. Nobody had them, when I started up again, in about 2000.

After all it's important to look good, in this sport.B|....right?[:/]

I wonder what a 400 way patch should look like? I've seen a World Team Patch, but that doesn't seem quite right for such a tremendous feat....

Hi steve

We jumped with a guy that was wearing a jumpsuit with all the patch's around 73-74.

After one jump we realized the dude got the jumpsuit from someplace:S

There was a time when USPA came out with all kinds of achievement awards, #'s, and patch's, eagle. maybe a double eagle Crw and other silly stuff. IMO it boiled down to who you knew.

I'm guessing the 400 way folks got special Jackets and lots of other swag. From the kings B-day;)

How to trap a beaver part 1, cool and cold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=XNN8pfFUYF8

R.

One Jump Wonder

Jump #120
Ray Ferrell organized sunset load out of N41DZ back in '92 at Skydance.

I had earned, but never got around to apply for an SCS until this year, and that was only because another jumper earned his SCR & SCS on the same jump, so it was easy to get everyone to sign two papers, instead of one.

ETA: in the spirit of the OP, my first attempt at anything greater than a 5 way, was on #85, which was a 26 way attempt, out of a Caribou. #86 was a 12 way tube out of the 'bou. 87 got me my Falcon, andmy first 8 way was #88. That was a good weekend.
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

> How many jumps did you all have before your first 8 way.

I don't know.

One day a letter showed up with a patch
and a photocopied letter from Bill Newell
saying that he was honoring Bob Buquor
and sending this patch to the 20 people
who had been in an 8 man.

I hit a thousand some time in 1967 so
it was several hundred.

Skr

I'll have to dig out a logbook when I get home, but it was right around # 230, Memorial Day weekend at the PI dropzone in Orange, MA (currently the home of Jumptown). It was a simple 8 Way round, exited a Twin Beech at 10,500. Pretty sure I was the pin. We got it and held it a good little bit, down to breakoff at 3500 - standard operating procedure in those days ! SCR 8018.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I got my SCR 1339 & SCS 292 on my 44th jump in Dickinson, TX 4-22-72. I was 3rd out of the chase plane in a C-180 & C-182 formation. John Mincher followed me out but beat me to the star so I lucked out on the SCS. "Spiderman" Bob Vincent got his SCR 1338 on the same jump. My thanks to Tom Sanders SCR 776, Sean Ferguson SCR 939, Dave Boatman SCR 877, David Bottrell SCR 774, Robert Bottrell SCR 423, Spiderman SCR 1338 and John Mincher SCR 422 for building the 7 man and for letting a low time jumper on the load.

Where are you living now? We had a 70's Texas skydiving reunion last year in San Marcos. I jumped with John, and saw David Bottrell and Sean. I was more from the end of the 70's, so some of the others might have been there and I just missed them.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)