tonybrogdon

Pioneer Ted Strong is gone!

This is a shock. I just jumped with Ted last month at the Pioneer's reunion up at Orange, Mass. Went to the web site but there are no details yet. I'm going to e-mail Dan Poynter, and others to find out. Ted really took care of himself and was in great shape for his age. I still can't believe this.
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

I just called Strong Enterprises. This was apparently an accident during a training exercise in Texas. That's all they can say until there's an investigation.

I got this in an email this morning.

Sparky

All we at DMV know from Bill Morrisey, is that it happened at Yuma Proving Grounds, it was and ATV jump and the he rode it all the way in. Other than that, we're in the dark.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I've known Ted more most of the time I have spent in the sport, his kind don't come around often...if ever there were a 'Man For All Seasons' it was he.

Ted's contributions to the sport are obviously numerous and without rival.

He wasn't just a pioneer and an innovator, he was a good man that anyone who knew him couldn't help but be in awe of and respect.

Blues Skies Friend.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi tony,

The Blue Skies forum in for condolences but maybe we could use this forum for 'Ted Stories.'

~ 25 yrs ago Ted helped me out with something that I really no longer remember. Anyway I wanted to do something in return; I had heard that he did not drink beer but did enjoy an evening cocktail now and then.

So I went up to the local liquor store and bought a jug of my favorite booze. I packaged it up really carefully & went to the post office to mail it to him, but found that you cannot ship booze through the mail system. So I went to UPS and found out that you cannot ship booze across state lines.

So I went to the store, bought some orange wrapping paper, opened up the package, wrapped the jug of booze in the orange wrapping paper, closed it all back up again & shipped him a jug of "Oregon Orange Juice.'

:P

JerryBaumchen

Your right Jim

That's the reason I posted it here.

to make a link a clicky, simply highlight yoru link, then click on the [url] button down below , OR, click the ULR button post yoru link, then click th eurl link again and it will ad the [/] part, so it post as a link..

Hope this helped!

Pic of Ted taking a break at a Lew Sanborn Accuracy meet a while back.

I wonder how many people noticed the Abdias Jump boots he is wearing. Came in 3 colors.

Sparky

I would guess those with a shoe fetish noticed.:P
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Damn.

I was competing in Style & Accuracy one year at the Nationals, and they were putting out three accuracy jumpers on a pass. One particular jump, I was teamed with Ted and another jumper on the three-stack pass. We arranged ourselves in order by canopy size and opening altitude so as not to interfere with each other's approach on the accuracy target. The other jumper exited first and opened "low". Ted went out 2nd and opened in the middle. And I exited last and was supposed to open right out the door.

However... the plane was a Porter, with which I wasn't familiar, and I stumbled going out the door. By the time I recovered stability and pulled, I was on-level with Ted. He had every right to be angry at me, for I had just created a conflict, whereby we would have to worry about being in close proximity to each other as we made our runs on the target. I was certainly kicking myself for messing up the plan.

What did Ted do? He cranked down one toggle, did some spirals to open up some vertical separation, and we both made our accuracy approaches unimpeded. He never complained, scorned, or even scowled. He was a total gentleman about it.

We continued being teamed up for the meet, and I appreciated his expertise and friendly demeanor.

Pic of Ted taking a break at a Lew Sanborn Accuracy meet a while back.

I wonder how many people noticed the Abdias Jump boots he is wearing. Came in 3 colors.

Sparky

I would guess those with a shoe fetish noticed.:P

Hi

The lab could check the exterior of the boots for DNA.

IMO People like Mr Strong will never be "gone" as long as the sport/industry continues. He's just in another place.

Leave the light on Mr Strong we'll be there:)
R.
One Jump Wonder