lars_d

Old Pioneer Parachutes

When cleaning up a (dead) friends closet we found an old pioneer round canopy. He already got in contact with pioneer in 1997, to find out more about the chutes' history. Since I do not know of its origin i would appreciate if anyone has more information on these chutes (see attached text).

When cleaning up a (dead) friends closet we found an old pioneer round canopy. He already got in contact with pioneer in 1997, to find out more about the chutes' history. Since I do not know of its origin i would appreciate if anyone has more information on these chutes (see attached text).

Could this parachute have been used by a WW2 American airman?

Lars D,

Can you please post some photos of the parachute and any container that might be with it? It would also be helpful if you could find the manufacturers data panel showing the serial number and date of manufacture.

I'm curious if Robert99's speculation that it might be from a downed US Airman is possible.

And the Museum suggestion is a great idea!

Possibly production for the Second World War.
When the Japanese tried to stop the sale of silk to the Allies, the Allies switched to nylon.
Meanwhile, German paratroopers switched to rayon canopies.
The Americans still had a enough silk, to sew a few more parachutes in 1945.
The last American-made silk parachutes that I saw were sewn in 1945.
After I packed them, they went to a museum.

Possibly production for the Second World War.
When the Japanese tried to stop the sale of silk to the Allies, the Allies switched to nylon.
Meanwhile, German paratroopers switched to rayon canopies.
The Americans still had a enough silk, to sew a few more parachutes in 1945.
The last American-made silk parachutes that I saw were sewn in 1945.
After I packed them, they went to a museum.

Hi RR

Fourth hand info: My wife's dad bailed out of a B-17 got to keep his canopy and must have been in italy for a while.

My father in law gave the canopy to a nice italian lady who somehow dyed the silk and weaved it into a bed spread.

The bed spread has been handed down in the family and my brother in law is supposed to have it.

We'll try and get a pic. Posting it on DZ.com will be a challenge if we can get the pic.

My father in law passed away about 10 yr's ago and my wife got the flag that was drapped over his coffin. It's locked up in our fire proof "security" vault.

The flag means more to us than the bed spread.;)
One Jump Wonder