davidlayne

I found this ripcord...............

To this day, I still own Toad's black and white double Ellipse jumpsuit.

I think that wonderhog rc may have been thrown by Gary Gray, at the winter Cottonbelt Parachute Council (very small) council meet.

Dirty Bruce and about 4-5 of the Ruston, La (north Louisiana) group was there, it was about 30 degrees on the ground, and a 7500 ff just about killed the fingers.. just miserable... one jump is all anyone wanted.

I still have my CPC patch.

kd

chuckakers

***The seal on the handle was probably from a "gear check" at a boogie, or a visiting jumper at that DZ.

Been around for 29 years and never heard of such a thing.

A lot of boogie events and competitions that drew participants from all over would do that. As part of registration, they would have a rigger check all gear for whatever recent set of gear problems had been happening, like leg strap replacements, soft 3-rings, or whatever. Or just checking general safety items like riser wear and reserve seals. And then they would put a colored or coded cable tie on the handle to show that the rig had been inspected and passed.

I've also seen this used as a means of showing that the boogie fee was paid, so that as people are boarding the plane, the DZ employee can scan all the jumpers and see that they're not sneaking on for free.

Many jumpers would not remove those ties after each boogie, and would accumulate quite a collection, as a sign of how well-traveled they were. They became like a badge of honor.

Nowadays they seem to use those plastic hospital wrist-bands instead. Want to drink the free boogie beer? Let me see your wrist band, buddy!

Sanjak

******The seal on the handle was probably from a "gear check" at a boogie, or a visiting jumper at that DZ.

A lot of boogie events and competitions that drew participants from all over would do that. As part of registration, they would have a rigger check all gear for whatever recent set of gear problems had been happening, like leg strap replacements, soft 3-rings, or whatever. Or just checking general safety items like riser wear and reserve seals. And then they would put a colored or coded cable tie on the handle to show that the rig had been inspected and passed.

I've also seen this used as a means of showing that the boogie fee was paid, so that as people are boarding the plane, the DZ employee can scan all the jumpers and see that they're not sneaking on for free.

Many jumpers would not remove those ties after each boogie, and would accumulate quite a collection, as a sign of how well-traveled they were. They became like a badge of honor.

Nowadays they seem to use those plastic hospital wrist-bands instead. Want to drink the free boogie beer? Let me see your wrist band, buddy!

I follow the premise and have seen all kinds of inspection and boogie fee tags, just not a seal on a reserve r/c.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

*********The seal on the handle was probably from a "gear check" at a boogie, or a visiting jumper at that DZ.

I follow the premise and have seen all kinds of inspection and boogie fee tags, just not a seal on a reserve r/c.

I've seen that in the midwest Chuck ~ it was supposed to curtail the faking of said inspection and one could usually buy the plastic tabs cheaper than the registration fee.

Also gave point of reference as to who okay some rig that may later have found to not be in compliance.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~