pchapman

used my 34 year old bellymount reserve yesterday

Nice job, and very smart to use a diapered round reserve.

I am REALLY glad your riser released at main deployment altitude. It would have been horrible to have your R3 partially release during your pull and come apart later at very low altitude.

My first reserve ride was in the early 70s at Pope Valley CA. I was saved by a 26 foot Navy conical belly mount that I bought for $25 when everyone was going to more modern gear. It did the job.

My second reserve ride was at the 2005 WFFC on a PD 193R square. It too did the job but cost about 35x what the surplus reserve cost. Some whuffo ran off with my free bag and pilot chute, but I got my main back.

I leave jumping the old gear to people more brave than I am, like pchapman and Beatnik.

I did well over 100 surplus round jumps and thankfully didnt break any bones doing it. Now I am turning 62 and have grown accustomed to those cushy Triathon landings. I miss the quiet round rides but have no need to revisit the old days where a good PLF was needed every time.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Out of 14 mals all were on round reserves, 11 of them on conventional rigs, and 13 were high speed, 2 of those totals. Only 1 was with a single point release. With a high mounted reserve I liked a severe head down position with an un-reefed reserve. You took the opening shock in the shoulders that way. Probably half of my reserve rides were on unmodified reserves and the first was on an old 24 ft Twill with the dash board instruments and knife. The jumper close to me swore my feet hit my helmet on opening. Not sure that was true, but my back was sure sore the next day.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

Out of 14 mals all were on round reserves, 11 of them on conventional rigs, and 13 were high speed, 2 of those totals. Only 1 was with a single point release. With a high mounted reserve I liked a severe head down position with an un-reefed reserve. You took the opening shock in the shoulders that way. Probably half of my reserve rides were on unmodified reserves and the first was on an old 24 ft Twill with the dash board instruments and knife. The jumper close to me swore my feet hit my helmet on opening. Not sure that was true, but my back was sure sore the next day.

And then you learned to pack!!!.:D:D
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

For a proper altimeter/stopwatch setup, see attached photos...

Hi RR

Thats what I;m talking about!!!! Nice Rack ;)

The profile of the altimeter is priceless:):S:ph34r:

R.I.P.

Did you notice the knife?

Hi RR

Notice the knife:)

There's another thread in this forum about the subject of belly wart jump knife's and size.

"Thats not a knife. This is a knife "
:D:D

R.I.P.
One Jump Wonder

These pic's were taken from the ground? Looks like you were danged low and had a temporary inversion on the reserve. What was altitude?

I was maybe at 3200' as I said, by the time the reserve was open. A telephoto lens and lots of pixels!

I don't think anything partially inverted, in the sense of any of the skirt blowing past lines and other parts of the skirt. Nevertheless, parts of the skirt billowed outward before other parts, as the 'slug' of air inside expanded -- inflation certainly isn't a symmetrical process 360 degrees around.

Good thing one doesn't notice all that happening when experiencing it live!

Reserve pack job was a couple months old, when I assembled that part of the gear. The previous pack job had been in '83 though, when it was in another rig. The guys at Strong got a chuckle when I sent them photos of using a rather old design of theirs.

And the fellow with the zoom lens was using a 400mm lens -- that sure helps for the up close views.

The rig is now on its way to my friend in Latvia, minus a main ripcord that I have to build anew. Straight pins sure are expensive, I see in ParaGear, $15 each. Glad it is just a 2 pin rig.

(I see that today, piisfish, you're keeping the DB Cooper thread down towards the bottom of the page!:)

Hi PC

(I see that today, piisfish, you're keeping the DB Cooper thread down towards the bottom of the page!:)

"What we have here is a failure to communicate" Paul Neuman, Cool Hand Luke.

Mr Pii's goal seems to be to bury DB cooper thread as deep as possible even though it will only be temporary. We could do a flash mob thing. Knock DB thread to pg ???:ph34r:.

I'm happy to keep knocking DB with single hits out of the top slot (also temporary). I Just have to ration my posts so I don't have to work to hard.:ph34r:

I've already got a few comments for this thread among others in my pocket but I have to wait for the right DB moment's.:ph34r:

Gotta go:( To bad I don't have a job and can't post/monitor DZ.com on the boss's time and look busy [:/]

"I'll be back" Arnorld inthe first terminator movie

R
One Jump Wonder