CFPasi

The first glider jump?

Some of us had done it, some don't. But who was the first who jumped from glider? Also, where and when that happened?

What I know now is that Lyuba Berlin from Russia make jump from glider in may 1935. Also in WWII there were lot of training jumps from gliders in Camp Mackall.

Can anyone help?

Dear Pasi,

You are true, Lyuba Berlin mede the first world female jump from a glider on May 30th 1935.

At that time She became part of "the Magnificent Six".

Unfortunately She died, with Tamara Ivanova on a freefall jump in 1936.

All of us should deserve our gratitude to Lyuba Berlin, Tamara Ivanova, and Nadezhna Babushkina. Thank to their sacrifice Doronin´s Brothers invented the first AAD in History, the PPD-1, in 1938, entering in service in the Soviet Airborne Forces in 1939.
Juan Fraile-Nuez
Military Parachute Rigger (ret.)
Spain, Europe

Dear Sir,

With all my due respect, I must report to Your Person that pictures from that jump are rare. Please, May You think for a while that It was 1935!.

After translating Lyuba Berlin´s Book from Russian, I may report that, as Lyuba Appointed, there were two or three Soviet men who did glider jumps before Her.

At first glance, An educated Person would thought about Leonid Grigorievich Minov, Yakov Davidovich Moshkovsky, Viktor Nikolaevich Evseev, Nabi Aminovich Amintaev, Evdokimov, Kaitanov, Gulnik, Romanyuk, all of them instructors from the N.I.I. who became the VDV´s Core.

Nevertheless, If You are plenty of time, You may learn some Russian, or use a translator, Person or software, and enjoy thousands of pages from Krasnaya Zvezda Newspaper, dating from 1929 to June 1935 (in this particular case, which is the first glider jump).

You may, too, find some information on the Russian Air Force Website, at: http://www.airforce.ru/staff/berlin/index.htm

Please, remember that early parachuting, or Skydiving in Europe was strongly favored by Governments like USSR, Italy, and Germany, much before Second World War. For Example, there were AAD on active duty before WWII started.

Hoping to have expanded your Horizon
Juan Fraile-Nuez
Military Parachute Rigger (ret.)
Spain, Europe