Krip

How many jumps for First four way pre 1971

Hello Ladies and Dudes.

I'm amazed at the progress the natural born skydivers are makeing in such a short time these days so I thought it might be time for a new thread.

In the spirit of this forum and compareing apples with apples. I think it would be best to set a specific time frame say 1971 and earlier, and include the state or country to allow for geographic differences.

After numerous attempts at combat RW, funnels, going after the low man, free flying the exit from a cessna etc. My WAG is 100 jumps, total. Finally got it in Ks.

2nd:P 4 way at the DZ. For eveyone on the load. . Exit altitude 7.5 of course.:)
Fun was had by allB|

R.I.P.

Gotta go take a nap.;)
One Jump Wonder

Hi Krip,

Well for our part of the world, you have come to the right guy. :P

In early '68, Feb or Mar as I recall, I was in the very first 4-way in the PacNW.

I had ~250 jumps at the time & it took us about 5 jumps ( maybe more but who's counting ) to get her completed.

I remember one rather memorable attempt: As the 2nd guy was climbing out and the other 2 of us still in the plane were getting organized, the jump step broke & #2 just disappeared. :o

Ah, the good old days. B|

JerryBaumchen

PS) We made that first 4-way on a Saturday and that night down at the tavern, one guy ( who was not on the load with us ) had a beer or six too many & ended up kissing the foot of one guy on the 4-way. Who says life cannot be fun? :)

While it was during my student days (and therefore I didn't qualify), the first 4-way competition I saw was in 1975. The winning team completed a 4-way all 3 rounds out of the 182.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hello nice lady

Was that all 3 rounds in a single jump?;)

Or 3 jumps and completed a one point round on ea?

Or 3 rounds with multiple points.

I'm not a grammer, spelling nazi, or any of that stuff, Most of them don't post in this forum. I'm just old and confused.

I recently noticed a pattern: every yr we live, we get a yr older, & only some people get confused :Pwhile getting older.

R.I.P.

One Jump Wonder

April 1970, #175--Most Cessna DZ'z only carried 3 jumpers in those days.

Hi DJ

A lot of jumping practices "Almost back in the day" seemed to be regional.

In eastern Kan to central Missouri there were at least 5 DZ's that I jumped at that were using 180/182'S carried 4 jumpers.:)
There was one DZ back east that the pilot decided it was not in our best interests to give a cut in jump run from the DZ's 180/182.

Rigs were regional, and I recently learned that getting pied for a jumpers 100 jump milestone was Standard in some parts of the country. Even "almost back in the day" When we saw it used in parts of the PNW the mid 80'a We thought it was a new thing for the yutes.:$

In the DZ's we were jumping at in Ks bottle of Champange was used. I think I saw that only once.
There weren't that many fun jumpers that had 1K jumps back than in our area.:|

I think getting pied may have been kind of messy due to lack of water etc to clean up at some of the DZ's.

R.I.P.
One Jump Wonder

Hi Ripper,
Depended on where you were!!! Southland Skydivers and then Southern Parachute Ctr., Hammond La., till the end of '66 Getting a 4-way depended on a lot of issues, mainly A/C avail. and "Fun Jumpers!!" (before RW was considered a competitive event!!) Bob Munn getting the Howard Helped, I know we got some 3-man's but I'll have to check my logs for "4". this was with less than 250 jumps. When I got to Elsinore in AUG67 all bets were off, had to grovel for a two way till ya' got Noticed that you could fly half decent!! Even then, "The Group" still had the corner on "Big ways!!", "anything over 7!!! Then the 10-MAN at Taft busted the lid off and the rest is history!!!! Glad to be part of it!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Mylogs were lost 30+ years ago, but I was in the 50 FF range on a club jump at Bragg (XVIII Corps) 4 of us sidestepped out of a UH1H, and kinda turned into each other.

Two of the other jumpers were Skip Gallagher and Dave Regenthal. I don't recall the third. Fall of 1971. Spent that winter jump bumming it at the Corps Club, on Bragg, as a civilian(I had ETSed at Bragg in May, 71)