Krip

Who remembers their Free lottery number

197...my best friend received #1. His family was devastated. But they stopped the draft and we weren't called to go. He went on to make great contributions to his community as an eye surgeon.

I vividly remember a day from our high school social studies class: our teacher asked if we'd go to Vietnam if drafted. I was one of only two or three who said we would. The others detailed plans to run to Canada or otherwise escape Uncle Sam's call. She got in my face and screamed at me for four or five minutes. Afterward, she told us her brother had been killed on Hamburger Hill. I expressed my condolences, then respectfully explained to her that, as a citizen of the United States enjoying the freedoms won through the sacrifices of previous generations, I felt I had an obligation to serve if called.

Some years later, I flew in the CRAF (Civil Reserve Air Fleet) through the Northwest Airlines system, ferrying troops in support of Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. Several of my airline colleagues were a few years older than I, Vietnam vets from the Army (Airborne and Special Forces), Air Force, Navy and Marines, plus a couple of spooks and Air America types. I was honored and privileged to fly with them.

Thank you all for your service.
"It's not the number of breaths we take--it's the moments that take our breath away."

It was the only lottery I ever won. I remember the day like yesterday. I was a junior at Syracuse University, and I wandered up to the journalism building to stand by the AP wire machine, like dozens of other J-majors. The word was that if you were 1-120 you were "vulnerable;" 121-240 you were on the bubble (depending on your locale and draft board you may or may not get drafted); 241-366 you were in the clear. It was crazy anticipation. I got 253 and exhaled. And we joked later that all the ROTC kids got numbers in the 300s and the hippies and stoners were all in the double digits. Looking back, the selective service system would have done much better for the Army if they allowed prospective inductees to trade numbers.
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

Krip

Good morning Gentlemen.

I'm so Old that I can't even remember they if they had a lottery.

I just thought a classificaion# and registration number was all that was required. My first classification was 1SH.;)

Anyone still remember their lottery number from almost back in the day and where they were when they learned "the number".

We googled the subject last night they even had some news videos on YoutubeB|. It was to late to get started.

Damn I can read a hell of a lot faster than I can type, don't have to worry about spellings nazi's, grammer, proof reading or rambling:o:ph34r:

R

347 IIRC, but I was a SP-4 by the time I got it (I dropped out of High School and joined when I was 17).

Don't know what mine was......I was a PR-3 on the USS Princeton LPH-5 and we were parked at pier E in LGB when the numbers made the papers. I found the "daily page" in the tinbenders shop and was lookin' up everybody's number for a laugh!!
Reminds me...when I was in bootcamp, a couple of guys got their "Greetings from the President of the United States" To those who don't know, that's how yer' "Draft Notice" started!! That was a laugh too!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out