Krip

Who remembers their Free lottery number

They're all here.

Hi Mr Winsor

Thanks for the link:)
Here's some more info

News coverage of the actual event, folks sure dressed funny back then;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVwUEABV9mg

And some info from wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lottery_draft

Personally I don't think a draft would ever work again, no one would be able to pass a piss test :ph34r:, and for some reason women are still exempt from even registering for the draft:$.

IMO the draft system still needs some updateing.

R.

R.
One Jump Wonder

Tampa, Fl. '68/69
Sharing an apartment with my buddy, Gene, and being hippie wannabe’s.

We were getting close to being drafted so Gene came up with this grand plan to go to Canada. We told the landlady we were leaving; we had the water and electricity cut off and out bags packed.

Now here’s where I blame Gene for what happened to me the rest of my life. If it hadn’t been for him, my life would have been a lot different.

Gene: “Hey! Before we go, let’s hitchhike to Daytona for the weekend. We’ll come back here, pick up our stuff and head out to Canada”.
Me: “OK.”

So, Saturday morning we got out on I-4 and stuck our thumbs out and lo’ and behold, two beautiful young ladies pick us up in a cherry hot-rod ’68 Camaro. YES!

It turned out that one of the girls came from a family with money and they decided to take us all the way. And they did. They took us there, got the hotel, paid for everything and screwed the livin’ liquids out of us the entire weekend. We didn’t see much of the beach that weekend.

Sunday night we came back, the girls had to be in school on Monday. They took us to the apartment, gave a good flailin’ (one for the road, you know) and left their phone numbers in case we ever came back into town.

So far so good but here’s where my life took a quick left turn and I blame it all on Gene. If he hadn’t come up with the idea of going to Daytona, I would have lived a different life.

After a day of recuperation, Gene says, “OK, let’s head out to Canada.”

Now, I don’t know if you ever experienced something like this in your life and it sure got me in trouble. What I was thinking and what I was saying was two different things. I heard these words coming out of my mouth but it wasn’t me that was talking. It was Tally Whacker that said, “I’m staying here with the pussy!”

So… Gene leaves and establishes a great life for himself in Vancouver. I stayed and…
1. Got drafted
2. Got her pregnant
3. Got married
4. Went to Viet Nam
5. Got divorced
6. Became a real-life hippie after ETS
7. Became a DZ bum later.

So...Gene, if you’re out there…Fuck You!

Ahhh…but all’s well that ends well, eh?
:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

They're all here.

I'm a little late to this party.

I would have been number 333 in 1973's lottery for induction the following year in which I joined - 1974 (VOLAR)

While the draft ended in 1972, the lottery continued until 1975 for 1976 inductees.

http://www.sss.gov/lotter1.htm
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Hi Bigun

Three 3's That a very nice numberB|

Funny thing about the draft in the 21at century is women don't have to register:o Can anyone tell us why? I'm not whining, just confused.[:/]

All women can't serve just like all men can't serve, but register everyone in spite of gender, family connections, $$$ etc. Let the Dr's choose who is 1A.

I'd love to serve with Amazon. I could hide behind, in front of next to her. She's got the muscle to handle the big guns or just squeeze the life out of the Mcnasty's.;)

I still remember one of our leaders saying something about women couln't stand in a foxhole filled with water up to a certain height.:S

I don't expect to see draft again. Even if they fix the gender thing.

Triple 3's beats the hell out of 3 cubedB|

Rant over.
66-70 USAF draft dodger enlisted swine.

R.

Who's the A hole that started This thread Me Me Me:ph34r:

I never had a SS number back then, and was traveling with the carnival, seems they didn;t know we existed, No tax records, no draft....

Thank You to all that did go though...My best friends survived it, Just to be killed by a drunk 6 months after getting home...

The lottery came well after I was discharged from the Navy, but I do have a story that may be of interest.

I have a relative that was 24 years old, married, a senior in college, with good grades when the Draft Board in Illinois called him in again. The Draft Board informed him that they had received a letter from his wife, stating that he and his wife were in the process of a divorce. The Draft Board yanked him out of college, and sent him to Nam.

I have a relative that was 24 years old, married, a senior in college, with good grades when the Draft Board in Illinois called him in again. The Draft Board informed him that they had received a letter from his wife, stating that he and his wife were in the process of a divorce. The Draft Board yanked him out of college, and sent him to Nam.

Something seems fishy with that story. If you were in college, that kept you out of the draft. Being married did not disqualify you from the draft. So getting divorced should have had no effect on his draft status. And being in college should have made him exempt from being drafted.

I know the story to be true because I was there when it happened.

I was married with a one-month old baby when I got my draft notice, so marriage didn't make you exempt. Therefore, his divorce should have had no bearing on the reason why he was drafted.

I was also in college but dropped out to work and support the wife and kid. As long as I was in college, I was safe. When I dropped out, they snagged me.

That story doesn't add up compared to my experience. I don't know what the explanation is for that...

Hi JR

It's the gov't so you never know.:o

Pre Lottery: AFAIK the draft boards are local so they have their own Board members and "fish barrel" so maybe YMMV.

Post lottery:

My dentist and his office partner, both had lottery numbers in the mid 30's while in college. They never got the letter.

Talked with one guy that heard about a state that had open slots in the national guard and signed up with them.B|

So many fish, so many rules, so many variables:S

R.

I was 1-A after a tip to Butte in the Spring of 1969. I figured I was too broke to go to college. I was gun-ho back then. I gave the Marine Corps a look. I hunted all Fall, and I needed a job and a home. It was in Oct. when I joined something called the Special Forces National Guard. My old scout master sweet talked me into joining. I found out later that the draft board was in the process of drafting me. Two more weeks and they would have had me.

I didn't really know what Special Forces was all about. I knew they all wore this fancy green hat. I figured I'd look cool in one of those.

When I figured out my orders, I realized this wasn't going to be much fun, and that I might not measure up. I might never earn a full flash on my beret.

First there was basic and infantry training at Ft. Polk. We had these old WWII baracks that you froze your rear off in. Then there was the rains that never seemed to quit that winter. Most of the DI's took delight in making you as miserable as possible.

Jump School was a pick-nick after that. I even enjoyed Georgia in comparison to Louisiana.

Then we rolled into Ft. Bragg. They had these really nice brick barracks on Smoke Bomb hill. I was rough and tough back then. Camp Mckall was pretty miserable. Never enough sleep, ten mile runs, not enough food, crotch rot, and athletes foot. It all took it's toll. But heh, I made it through.

Then I started weapons training. I always liked guns. I kind of liked that. You'd shoot ammo, till it made you sick of shooting. I about ruined my ears one day in heavy weapons training. I forgot my ear plugs. I didn't want to flunk out for being stupid, so I never told anybody.

The last phase of training was kind of a killer. You were cross trained in the different MOS's. There were classified classes at JFK Center for Special Warfare. Night equipment jumps out into the boonies. I kind of thrived on much of that training. One of the hardest parts of that training was Method of Instruction Week. You had to get up in front of a large group of soldiers and teach some classes. The thought of that scared the crap out of me. Hell, I was so shy that I couldn't even give a book report in High School...but I wasn't going to quit.

When we graduated, everyone was given E-5. There was only two of us that were N.G.'s. When I went up to get my diploma the band started to play. They also started up again when this other National Guardsman walked up to get his diploma. That was supposed to have been a joke.

Being a National Guardsmen then wasn't popular back then. Most of my classmates would be fighting over in Nam, in a few short months. I couldn't fault any of them for being pissed. I was headed home the following week.

It felt good to walk through Ohare Airport, with my green beret and jump boots. I must have looked like a 16 year old kid. I felt like I was ten feet tall.

What a let down it was to come home to my home National Guard Unit. It was a real joke. Noone took the guard drills seriously. I found out later that most of these soldiers had flunked out of SF training. I should have gone back on active duty. Instead I stuck it out for six years and got out. We got to jump every couple months, and that was fun, but most of it was a big waste of time. Guardsmen weren't sent to Viet Nam.

I don't think the numbering process started till 1970. I was on active duty by then....

If I had it to do over again, I would have stayed on active duty. I'll agree with anyone who says the National Guard was a joke, back then.

Hi Robert

Did you have to enlist for 3 yr's for the "promise" of germany?

Did you use the G.I. Bill? That could almost make duty at Ft Leonard Wood bearable. In spite of the heat,humidity, chiggers, ticks hillbilly's etc.:(

Small world we went to MU in Coulumbia MO on the G.I. bill and graduated one yr before you almost got to go to Germany.:)
BFIF. Thank you for your service;)

BTW do you think it's time to pull the plug on the DB Cooper thread? I don't think there's going to be any thing of value from that thread except more PA's, bitching, and hard feelings.

R.

BTW do you think it's time to pull the plug on the DB Cooper thread? I don't think there's going to be any thing of value from that thread except more PA's, bitching, and hard feelings.

R.

They should leave it up forever. If they do away with it, the rest of us would have to listen to them all the time.

Not only that, the mods would be just as busy saying let DB R.I.P. :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

R.

They should leave it up forever. If they do away with it, the rest of us would have to listen to them all the time.

Not only that, the mods would be just as busy saying let DB R.I.P. :P

Hello Nice Lady

Thanks for the momentaty chance to knock "that" thread from the top of the forumB|

Resistance is futile:S Mr Hooper got at least a warning for siggesting that "the thread" be moved to its own forum:o

In a wierd sort of way the thread is some kind of a statement about human nature. It started with the best intentions and now for whatever reason it is what it is. IMO much worse than speakers corner.

If you got a second check out the last two pages at any time.:S Then check out the first post in the thread[:/]

BTW how did you guess my DZ nickname:o
One Jump Wonder

Hi Robert

Did you have to enlist for 3 yr's for the "promise" of germany?

Did you use the G.I. Bill? That could almost make duty at Ft Leonard Wood bearable. In spite of the heat,humidity, chiggers, ticks hillbilly's etc.:(

Small world we went to MU in Coulumbia MO on the G.I. bill and graduated one yr before you almost got to go to Germany.:)
BFIF. Thank you for your service;)

R.

Yes, I got a promise for Germany. It wasn't like today's army, more like Stripes or something, or Catch 22. Post-Nam, pre-Grenada. Morale at an all time low, drugs and drinking in mass quantities, etc. I played it straight, but there were plenty who didn't.

Booze was always a problem even in the 60's,
Drugs well we were in the air force didn't really see it.
Morale? YMMV depending on the job. Think
Draftee's, Air force draft dodgers etc and lots of army and marines getting hurtB|

I used my GI Bill to go to community college because I didn't feel like getting a regular job. B| I took Speech and Communications and spent half the day spinning records at the college radio station - for credit. I earned extra cash on one of those Financial Aid Office work-study jobs.

Did the same to build up my GPA then moved on to MU for my last two yr's.
G.I. Bill was $175/mo even had enough $$ keft over to jump every weekend. Best time in my life. College women and jumping I think the last yr we got a raise to $225/mo We maxed out the G.I. bill even went to summer school (we needed it):P

DB Cooper thread? It's pretty trashed lately. I don't think they should shut it down, though. I know the outside traffic to that thread is high. The Google Ads alone probably pay the server bills.

Thanks for your candor I thought there had to be a reason that made senseB| Let the good time roll:P

R.
One Jump Wonder

I won the lottery!

I won:
-free clothes
-free food
-free lodging
-free health care
-free dental care
-free schooling
-free travel

WooooHoooo!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

And don't forget all the big money you could make as a new recruit. As an E-1 private I was nocking down $93. a month. That was Nov. 1969. That didn't stretch very far, even then.[:/]

It was really fun being spit on for serving your country back then.>:(

I'd better quit. I'm getting depressed just thinking about it.

And don't forget all the big money you could make as a new recruit. As an E-1 private I was nocking down $93. a month. That was Nov. 1969.

I got lucky and they doubled the pay scale just before I was drafted/joined in 1972 - a whopping $180 per month - with rent to pay, and a wife and child to support!

I found a two room shack to rent for $75, which left me a whole $105 to pay for food, car, gas and electricity.

And don't forget all the big money you could make as a new recruit. As an E-1 private I was nocking down $93. a month. That was Nov. 1969. That didn't stretch very far, even then.[:/]

It was really fun being spit on for serving your country back then.>:(

I'd better quit. I'm getting depressed just thinking about it.

Don't be. Some things are not missing, they're just late.

Despite my moderate-to-liberal leanings, I've thanked my dad and my uncle to their faces for their service during WW2. As far as I'm concerned, they gave me, and my children, our lives (and I don't mean biologically).

So, Steve, and all of the rest of you in this thread: Thank you.

My number was 264. With the draft projection being 125 or so at my draft board, Dec 1, 1969 was my last day of classes for several years. It was a big weight lifted for me. Some of my friends weren't so lucky and the Texas Guard picked up quite a few new recruits.