Krip

Who remembers their Free lottery number

Good morning Gentlemen.

I'm so Old that I can't even remember they if they had a lottery.

I just thought a classificaion# and registration number was all that was required. My first classification was 1SH.;)

Anyone still remember their lottery number from almost back in the day and where they were when they learned "the number".

We googled the subject last night they even had some news videos on YoutubeB|. It was to late to get started.

Damn I can read a hell of a lot faster than I can type, don't have to worry about spellings nazi's, grammer, proof reading or rambling:o:ph34r:

R
One Jump Wonder

HI

I was a REMF air force puke draft dodger etc. Never saw the "Letter you posted"

Every hear the story from almost back in the day about the Stolen C-130. 1969

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Stolen+C130+mildenhall+england&FORM=HPNTDF&src=IE-SearchBox

Damn the clicky thiing wouldn't work:( I'm old:P but you can see my search criteria. so if your interested do your own search.

The crew chief stole the daamn airplane and didn't bring it back:o "Thats gov't property son do you know how long its going to pay for that bird":S

If you read the the results you'll see there were two versions of what happened to the bird. No doubt that we splashed him.

Two much time away from his wife. The whole squadren was close to that point. Officers dancing on the bar in the O club wearing noting but foot gear:o

Enlisted swine threatening to burn down the Enlisted swine club.>:(

Can we keep this quite (like mature adults) and see how much traffic we get on this lottery thing.

I'm old, and If this thread ends up in SC :( I'm doomed, doomed I tell you;) I decline the wonderful opputunity to go there.B|

I've tried my best to keep politics, guns etc out of the subject. It's part of the histroy we all shared when us old farts were "Yutes";)

I know unrealstic expectations:$

R.I,P,

One Jump Wonder

Hi Krip,

I was in & out long before they came up with that 'game.'

One of the guys I went to college with, who was in ROTC & owed Uncle Sammy 5 yrs of active duty, got #366. :S

JerryBaumchen

Like you Jerry, in 1964 out 1968.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

sure do..[:/]

i was in college... it was early 1972...

"student deferments" had been eliminated....
i lived on a floor in a dorm, which had mostly upperclassmen,,, but there were 5 or 6 freshmen, all of whom would be affected by the lottery draw......

one by one birthdays and corresponding lottery #'s came up... one guy got something in the low 300's most of the others were in the high 200's...THEY all went to the Rathskeller to celebrate

Me????? :| I waited it out....
:| well MY birthday came up # 16... Go Figure !!!!

i was healthy, in decent shape, Quite likely to PASS a pre-induction physical,,, and NERVOUS....

Really preferred to STAY in school.....
anyway I received a notice to report for that physical in NYC, sometime in sept...

wrote back to say.. "i'm in college, 375 miles AWAY... can't make it." they responded, Ok sit tight.. we'll re-schedule you to someplace in Buffalo.... Then in Dec of '72 got the new notice, borrowed a roommates van,, drove into rochester. where they put us on a bus to Buffalo.. and bascially spent the rest of the day "Qualifying" for induction....
Was classified 1A. went back to school.. to wait for the draft notice... Within ONE month,,,, Nixon "ended" the draft.... and i was never called...
I had started jumping in sept of '72 and so was happy to finish college and to continue jumping.... AS A CIVILIAN !!!:oB|:)often wondered about what things would have been like.. IF i HAD been drafted......:|

jt

Hi Krip,

I was in & out long before they came up with that 'game.'

One of the guys I went to college with, who was in ROTC & owed Uncle Sammy 5 yrs of active duty, got #366. :S

JerryBaumchen

Like you Jerry, in 1964 out 1968.

Sparky

Hello Gentlemen

GOOD MORNING DZ.COM ( robin williams name that movie)

Jerry and Sparky and the rest of you sweet young things.

I'm still doing my independent research on The internet and there are lots of incorrect info. I know it's the internet but I'm still :o.

There were lots of ways to dodge the draft without bugging out. All of my peers in the air force were draft dodgers. I'm a draft dodger and want credit for it>:( One guy was only 17yo barely legal to drink when Johnny came marching home from the war. He was a very young confused draft dodger, but even he could find Air force.

I can not tell a lie I only did 3 yr's and 9 month's 66-70. No I didn't bug out, desert, make excuses. Recieve the scarlet double letter DD.

I did get a DD214 good as gold:)
There were rules:)

Think a polish 2S deferment on the back side:ph34r:

I'm so old and confused:( Whine whine whine, Stop picking on me, make them stop picking on me whine whine whine. :)
Please no politic's, religion or spelling, grammer nazi's. Respect our young brothers that weren't as lucky as us. I like getting older:)
I still remember the pics of some of the golden knights on the inside back cover in their PR pic of the parachutist that got sent back to their units and never came home:(

R.I.P.

FWIW my bosses first name starts with a K + rip =
Krip:)
One Jump Wonder

Hi Krip,

Like Sparky & you, I did my time: 3 yrs 10 mos 24 days in the good old USAF; who could forget? BTW Enlisted in '59 & out in '63.

I was very fortunate in that I was in & out before VN got cooking. Had it been later, I would have gone if called; that's the type of person that I am.

But I'm very glad that it was peacetime for me.

JerryBaumchen

PS) I, like a lot of folks, lost a good friend over there; but that is war and it is never nice. I have the utmost respect for those who had to face it.

Like Sparky & you, I did my time: 3 yrs 10 mos 24 days in the good old USAF; who could forget?

Jerry,

I was not in the USAF, I was a Navy Corpsman. In 1967/68 I was attached to Second Battalion Third Marines in South Viet Nam, Republic of. I got to tour all the hot spots, Hue, A Shau Valley and Khe Sanh. A good time was had by all. [:/]

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/AndyMikeDes.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/RockPile.jpg
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Jerry,

I was not in the USAF, I was a Navy Corpsman. In 1967/68 I was attached to Second Battalion Third Marines in South Viet Nam, Republic of. I got to tour all the hot spots, Hue, A Shau Valley and Khe Sanh. A good time was had by all. [:/]

Sparky

GOD BLESS YOU, SPARKY!

Earl
USMC 77-81
USAF 83-99 (RET)

I was in the first year that didn't get lottery numbers. I was class 1H, which meant "holding". However, I DO remember my draft card numbers, even though the Marine Drill Instructors took them away from me and I never saw them again -- 41 35 54 0390
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

GOOD MORNING DZ. COM!!!!!!!

"Robin Williams"

I actually found some news video's of the free lottery number system. :o

The draft board or who it was sure dressed funny back then. Cheap suits ties and women wearing dress's and funny hairdooo's.

I'm not sure;) if the current, paid lottery system $$$ would accept the low stds set for the free system

I was expecting numbered ping pong balls, a air machine mixing the balls up in a random manner etc etc.
That wasn't the way it was done "almost back in the day".

To be continued at a later date. :ph34r:

R.

FWIW this is not a bump, or a DB cooper groupie travel log from a recent trip to forida.:S

I'm not complaining in any way. I sent the Green Hat a PM and told him what was going on and they allow it to continue. B|

So whats good for the golden goose;)

What time is it? Damn it's time to clock out and go home:)

One Jump Wonder

Since we may have vets of a certain age and era reading this thread, listen up!!!!

The US VA has attributed ISCHEMIC HEART DISEASE to Agent Orange.

If you have heart problems get checked out, and if it shows disease FILE a CLAIM thru tour County Veteran Service Officer, The DAV, VFW American Legion etc.

The only burden of proof you have is that 1.) You served in Viet nam and 2.) You have ischemic Heart disease. (To my knowledge, approx 87% of all heart disease is Ischemic in nature.)

Hi Mike

And all vets and their families.

11/11/11 is veterans day this year.

I don't know what the odds are of this happening again, but I'm glad to have lived long enough to see it, and sorry for those vets that missed it.

R.
One Jump Wonder

Hi Krip,

11/11/11 is veterans day this year.

And a number of companies are again doing freebies for vets; one being Applebee's which will be doing a free meal.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Mr Baumchen

Thanks for the reminder, I also carry a copy of my DD 214 in my wallet in case i stop by home depot or lowes, for their 10% dicount. Available 365 days/yr based on my personnel experience. If you ask:ph34r:

FWIW there are some people I address as Mr, because they have earned my respect, your one of them.

But in the big picture showing my respect really doesn't mean squat except to Number one. Me;)

FWIW I stumbled on the 11/11/11 date by accident due to a Dr's appt. Enjoy the triple 11's on vets dayB|

R.
One Jump Wonder