piisfish

ever seen that kind of pilot chute ?

Its a plane old "Spider pilot chute" .I used to pack them in surplus Air Force and Army seat pack pilot rigs. You had one photo holding the attachment loop. That was the start of the process flaking was involved but dont remember the rest as it was 1974 when I worked for Danny Latchford at Midwest parachute in Novi

It reminds me of the very old military style pilot chutes that were packed into military T7A reserves. All the ones I ever saw were white but the design was basically the same.

Found in a very old glider rig someone brought for me to pack one time, but it had two of them attached to the apex of the canopy. The canopy was a very old twill. Condemned the whole rig.

Told the owner it was only fit for the museum, because if he tried to use it it would prolly get him to the scene of the impact a bit quicker....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

These "spider" pilot chutes were used in military chest reserves from WWII until very recently. The T-10R reserve was replaced by the MIRPS reserve. These pilot chutes are actually very effective.

The pilot chutes were prolly the best part of the rig....the harness, container and canopy were the problem, but I suspect someone with no knowledge of parachute systems had been playing with it. At the time it was 40 + years old.

It wasn't the first glider rig I withdrew from service, and it wasn't the last. Some really old timex stuff came out of the woodwork at times...and most glider pilots didn't really have a clue about what they were about.

I was amused one time when I put my thumb through a rotten canopy, and the owner got rather irate with me for damaging his canopy. I laughed at him, and after pondering for a few minutes, the penny dropped, and he came back and apologised.

I conducted quite a few seminars for various gliding clubs over the years.

Relations between skydivers and glider pilots were not alway cordial.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I remember hearing about a canopy inspection at a WW2 aircraft show. One of the pilots had a silk reserve, because it was authentic to his aircraft, which was the same type he'd flown in WW2 (this was 1976).

It didn't pass; he said it didn't matter, because he'd go down with his plane before bailing out. :o

Either way, he was stuck with an unpacked reserve.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

These "spider" pilot chutes were used in military chest reserves from WWII until very recently. The T-10R reserve was replaced by the MIRPS reserve. These pilot chutes are actually very effective.

Last time I saw an "umbrella" type pilot chute was in 1986, at the Bundeswer Luftelande Lufttransport Schule, im Altenschadt, Ober Bayern, West Gemany.

Meanwhile the West German Army was busy test-jumping the replacement system for all their T-10 static-line rigs.