base283

The Z-hills Double Fatal Speculation Thread

An RSL wot help you if you are unconscious.

I was on a jump with a buddy that was knocked out from a collision. He was jumping 2 rigs back to back. One had an AAD and one didn't. As luck would have it he had the AAD rig and woke up on a golf course. Since then I became a believer.

I think it's fine to jump without an AAD but I don't think it's an opinion that should be rammed down people's throats.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

My apologies. RTFM was not the correct thing to say.

I did send an email to AirTec asking about official documentation regarding the activation altitudes with respect to body orientation being put on their web page.

Andy
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Well on that note...

We just ordered 2 brand spankin' new AAD's.
I'm pretty sure I'm also converting my RSL to a Skyhook.

B|

I jumped without an AAD for 18 years, but I have had them in all my rigs for 14 years. My life is worth $1000 bucks.

Yes but I'll bet you wouldn't hesitate to jump without one if the need ever arose. Lots of device dependent folks now.

device dependent? the cost of my life is much more important than the cost of a brand new rig and all of it's associated components.

Do you pay for auto insurance? and if so what are your premiums for the year? do you pay it willing or complain about being insurance dependent?

Lot's of smarter people now. I'd give up any yearly income figure in exchange for my life as a cost well worth it.

I don't think cars had seat-belts 32 years ago, maybe lap belts, not 3 point seatbelts. I'm seatbelt dependent.... simply because it's a wiser decision.

All that is fine and dandy for you...except you don't speak for everyone. IMO, there's lots MORE stupid people now. It's a more-than-full-time-job trying to overcome the amazing incidence of stupidity in this sport. If you get out and get around more, you just may come to agree with me on that.

Yeah, yeah, many people talk smart, more often than not, they act stoopid.

Well on that note...

We just ordered 2 brand spankin' new AAD's.
I'm pretty sure I'm also converting my RSL to a Skyhook.

B|

I jumped without an AAD for 18 years, but I have had them in all my rigs for 14 years. My life is worth $1000 bucks.

Yes but I'll bet you wouldn't hesitate to jump without one if the need ever arose. Lots of device dependent folks now.

With all due respect - I've come to observe that "device dependent" is a loaded, judgmental term. Dependency on the device is always there; it's just a question of degree, and that's just a question of personal preference. If reserves weren't required, some people who wanna be hard-core and skydive only BASE rigs (from aircraft) would call people jumping reserves "device dependent".

I'm old enough and have been around the sport long enough to get away with being openly intolerant with old-timers (including some well-respected, pioneering "legends") who scoff derisively at safety technology, or procedures, that didn't exist yet back when they started jumping. Seriously, guys, who cares? - that was then, this is now.

Agreed. But this incident has less to do with AADs and more to do with the insanity of chasing an AFF student deep in the beeps. But everyone is focused on the AAD as if the mistake was the AADs doing. Amazing to me. They are appalled that someone could go in wearing an AAD.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Agreed. But this incident has less to do with AADs and more to do with the insanity of chasing an AFF student deep in the beeps. But everyone is focused on the AAD as if the mistake was the AADs doing. Amazing to me. They are appalled that someone could go in wearing an AAD.

Excellent point!

In fact since it is a speculation thread - I wonder if the instructor would have been so prone to continuing the chase had there not been some device dependency in the back of his mind.

It 'could' be perceived that the AAD was in part the cause of one fatality...not because of the firing but because it was there. Just some food for thought.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I don't think cars had seat-belts 32 years ago, maybe lap belts, not 3 point seatbelts. I'm seatbelt dependent.... simply because it's a wiser decision.

Just to quibble, my 1972 Subaru definitely had 3-point seat belts.

To me, device dependence isn't as much refusing to jump without an AAD. There can be valid reasons for it, like the insurance analogy. However, changing how you jump because you have an AAD is. And that's stupid. It's like driving like a moron because you have collision insurance.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Excellent point!

In fact since it is a speculation thread - I wonder if the instructor would have been so prone to continuing the chase had there not been some device dependency in the back of his mind.

It 'could' be perceived that the AAD was in part the cause of one fatality...not because of the firing but because it was there. Just some food for thought.

I don't disagree with you. When "device dependency" is used to mean "only willing to jump if using the device", it's being used as a misnomer, and that's what I was complaining about.

To me, imprudent device dependency is an adjunct of risk homeostasis. That's the sense in which you're using it here, too.

To me, device dependence isn't as much refusing to jump without an AAD. There can be valid reasons for it, like the insurance analogy. However, changing how you jump because you have an AAD is. And that's stupid. It's like driving like a moron because you have collision insurance.

Wendy P.

Ya always hear the 'in case of getting knocked out' justification for an AAD..which is valid.

However, what's the percentage of AAD fires because of unconsciousness vs. going low because of inattention?

IF every AAD fire = a fatality the incidents thread would be longer than the DB Cooper one!

Nothing wrong with using an AAD...there's definitely something wrong with viewing it as 'insurance'.

Insurance always pays off...an AAD is a last ditch 'maybe'...it may increase your odds of survival in a certain set of defined circumstances. But to 'depend' on it saving your life is ludacris. You are FAR better off never putting yourself in a position it may-be needed. IF you wouldn't jump without one you may want to reconsider your perception of the hazards of the sport.

....nothing 'wrong' with not jumping without one, any increase regarding odds of survival is a good thing. Just be aware that it doesn't make this a Disneyland ride...shit can still happen that will get ya dead quick.

Insurance always pays off

Dunno about that -- I've never used my car insurance for anything of mine, and it's been nearly 30 years since there was a house claim.

I have one now; obviously I have a ton of jumps without them. One thing to think about is that not every AAD fire would be a fatality, some would be stupid low pulls. But if you're jumping in a way that the AAD fires, you're screwing up if there wasn't unconsciousness or other disability involved.

If you're using an AAD to make this a Disneyland ride, then you're definitely letting the AAD change your behavior [:/]

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Insurance always pays off

Dunno about that -- I've never used my car insurance for anything of mine, and it's been nearly 30 years since there was a house claim.

I have one now; obviously I have a ton of jumps without them. One thing to think about is that not every AAD fire would be a fatality, some would be stupid low pulls. But if you're jumping in a way that the AAD fires, you're screwing up if there wasn't unconsciousness or other disability involved.

If you're using an AAD to make this a Disneyland ride, then you're definitely letting the AAD change your behavior [:/]

Wendy P.

In my case when I 'needed' it, it ALWAYS paid off, and I'd bet if you NEEDED it your insurance would too.

Case in point here, 'so called insurance' was in place but did not 'pay off' as expected or advertised...that's the only point I was making. ;)

Ah -- missed that. Yup, there are no guarantees. The safest (if I can use that word :P) assumption is that you're dead when you jump out of an airplane, unless you do something positive to save your life.

Like pull.

Because your life really is on the line here.

Wendy P.

I never did get any input on my question from two days ago....

" Can that be true? Vertical speed has no impact on time to inflation after extraction? "

Anybody?

I never did get any input on my question from two days ago....

" Can that be true? Vertical speed has no impact on time to inflation after extraction? "

Anybody?

How about we say~ does it have any influence instead of 'impact'? :P

And IMO of course it does. . .isn't that the reason for the slider?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about getting knocked out in freefall, by an errant foot, doorway, etc.

Wendy P.

I would even think the chances of getting knocked out have decreased. Everyone wears a helmet now.

Probably increased in truth...larger formations, faster free-fall speed disciplines...and more pinheads skydiving. ;)

I meant head impacting something. Impact doesn't have to mean head to ground at 120mph. Maybe the word collision would clear it up.

I switched to a full face over the winter after a gnarly head to foot collision. Looked like I had been in a bar fight. A full face will protect against a flesh wound but still nothing compared to a serious helmet.

I tend to think many people wear helmets as a camera mount not for safety. If it were for safety you would see a lot more protecs. I sometimes jump my ski helmet and people make fun of me.

At the end of the day it's your head, I just wish people understood that there isn't really that much protection.

I am probably a bit sensitive to this topic because I have had a couple of serious snowboard and bike accidents where good helmets saved my life but still left me with conclusions that lasted over a year. It's not pretty.

Anyways, getting a bit off topic.

I broke a helmet on an airplane door once. It was a cheap hockey helmet, but I'm sure it would have hurt a whole lot more without the helmet.

Wendy P.

Wendy P.

And just to quibble a little bit more - 1972 was 41 years ago. In 1981, 3 point was mandatory for the front seats.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

My quibble was with the statement that cars didn't have 3-point restraints 32 years ago. If they did 41 years ago, they probably did 32 years ago as well.

Wendy P.

Helmets are making the news these days for offering only limited protection

http://www.voxxi.com/helmets-mouthguards-brain-injuries/

I certainly got brain injuries....ask my friends...but I didn't get dead.

A skydive helmet really doesn't provide much protection from impact, not when compared to real protective helmets. You shouldn't rely on that device....;)

I jump a full face now, but my benny has a warning inside that says "You are participating in a dangerous sport. This helmet serves no protective purpose and is not intended to provide any protection from any head, brain, neck, or facial injures..."

Got a laugh from that the first time I noticed it.