base283

The Z-hills Double Fatal Speculation Thread

I am not for or against an SOS I am just thinking through it all and getting opinions.

Which is of course the smart thing to do...

IMO the SOS was/is a band-aid for a complete understanding of what to do when - or 'poor training'

The 'one solution fits all problems' may be an aid during initial training, but think about it from the other angle.

What are the circumstance you DO want the choice of chopping and deploying your reserve at a 'later date'

Juming camera, CReW, landing in high winds, water landings...20,000' updrafts in a thunderstorm ;)

Again, the SOS 'may' have a small place of 'advantage' during initial training - but it handcuffs the options during things an experienced jumper could quite possibly come across.

I can't recall seeing any experienced jumper using one...hummm

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Okay.... with all of that said.... why not an SOS system?

The only problem, other than those already mentioned, with the SOS (SINGLE Handle Operating System), is that is takes 2 hands to operate it.
One for the initial pull and the other to grab the cable half way from the handle and finish the pull. The stroke is too long for your arm. This is inherrent in the design because of the required cable lengths.
The configuration must allow for the release of the risers before the reserve is released. Some long armed folks can reach, in one stroke, on some rigs, but not all.

Interesting.... My first chop was on an SOS... I guess I have long arms. I am 6'3... I cleared the cables in one pull with both hands on the D ring. I have never heard that before John.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I am not for or against an SOS I am just thinking through it all and getting opinions.

Which is of course the smart thing to do...

IMO the SOS was/is a band-aid for a complete understanding of what to do when - or 'poor training'

The 'one solution fits all problems' may be an aid during initial training, but think about it from the other angle.

What are the circumstance you DO want the choice of chopping and deploying your reserve at a 'later date'

Juming camera, CReW, landing in high winds, water landings...20,000' updrafts in a thunderstorm ;)

Again, the SOS 'may' have a small place of 'advantage' during initial training - but it handcuffs the options during things an experienced jumper could quite possibly come across.

I can't recall seeing any experienced jumper using one...hummm

I actually think they are a good idea for intial training (students). Thanks for the perspective Twardo and everyone else.

P.S. I know two jumpers with over 5000 jumps each that have AFF & Tandem ratings that jump an SOS. Steve Stewart started SSK with Cliff and created the Sweet Hog is still a big fan of them as well.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.

I actually think they are a good idea for intial training (students).

I'm in disagreement here.
- Two handles is the norm nowadays..for several reasons.
- KISS is not a good thing to teach
- Having to re-train to other mechanisms is problematic
- Other...

I know two jumpers with over 5000 jumps each that have AFF & Tandem ratings that jump an SOS.

I agree it's experienced jumpers ay elect any option they choose.

Jumping camera, CReW, landing in high winds, water landings...20,000' updrafts in a thunderstorm

...buildings, power lines, trees, entanglements, wraps(?), (horses, cows, goats...oh, the stories here...:D)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I actually think they are a good idea for intial training (students).

I'm in disagreement here.
- Two handles is the norm nowadays..for several reasons.
- KISS is not a good thing to teach
- Having to re-train to other mechanisms is problematic
- Other...

I know two jumpers with over 5000 jumps each that have AFF & Tandem ratings that jump an SOS.

I agree it's experienced jumpers ay elect any option they choose.

Jumping camera, CReW, landing in high winds, water landings...20,000' updrafts in a thunderstorm

...buildings, power lines, trees, entanglements, wraps(?), (horses, cows, goats...oh, the stories here...:D)

Agree to disagree about the students. I did not find a huge problem moving from SOS to a two handle system at all. Then again your experience trumps mine 100x over so I may change the way I think about this in the future ;) I am not a DZO and never will be so it really does not matter what I think anyway.

On the other comment..... cows... yup been there. :D

Of course your opinion matters!

Please put your "cow" story in the Trivia forum...unless it was a "Yo Mama" story....too many of those already.
:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Of course your opinion matters!

Please put your "cow" story in the Trivia forum...unless it was a "Yo Mama" story....too many of those already.