Krip

Cost of your first rig

That's the reason I replaced the MA-1's Jerry. One too many looong hesitations. I think the 40 inch referred to the diameter of the P/C when it was inflated. After awhile, I developed the habit of sitting up enough that as I looked up at the opening, the Pilot Chute would bounce off the back of my helmet. Lots of chips in that old Bell. Wish I knew where that rig was, crazy as it sounds, I'd like to make one more on it. After all, I'm still small enough to land it.

I probably got the best deal of anyone here. The guy who trained me left town suddenly and took my rather expensive Nikon camera with him. But he left his gear in my car. A Carosel Para Commander in an extended B-4, a Delta 2 Para Wing in an extended B-4, a 24' reserve (T-7A?) with an aircraft type altimeter and mount, and a Tri-Zip jumpsuit. I would rather jump out of airplanes than take pictures so I considered it a fair trade. There's a lot more to the story but that's the essential part.

If anyone knows Pete Tolles, I would like to get in touch and let him know how jumping altered the course of my life.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Free - circa 1961
I belonger to a Marine Corps club & we had outdated rigs to the roof, some having spent their entire shelf life in their original shipping container. B-12 with a 28' double L. Reserves 24', were free also, as was the altimiter as we had obtained a bunch of surplus ones. It was modified by a rigger friend for little or nothing. Later a buddy & I, both riggers, modified them for the new guys. For the outlandish fee of $15 we modified the main, container & made the sleeve & handed it to the student along with a reserve, all packed and an altimiter. We could make 2 in 3-4 nights after work. We were rolling in dough. Club members could have as many rigs as they used as determined by club officers. I had 7 at one time. Other "oldtimers" had similar amounts & we never packed in the field. There was much excitement in the clubhouse on Sat. nites as we all vied for the two packing tables which were of course covered with beer cans. All reserves in the club were packed for free. Beer was cheap. Life was good.

SST, Heavy Cloud, 26' LoPo, all used $650

I remember at the time thinking that it would be ironic if I just paid for a system that would ultimately be my demise.

LoPo still packed into the Racer I bought new in '83.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

My first rig cost $50, including an altimeter and a jumpsuit. I bought it in 1968 from a returning Navy guy who jumped in Iwakuni Japan. He told me he got most of the gear free friom the base rigger, When it came time to destroy a timed out but airworthy canopy somehow it ended up with the skydiving club. The guy wanted $100 for everything, which was more than I had, so I was just going to pay $50 for the main and keep renting reserves. He took pity on me and said "hell, you can have it all for $50, just promise me I can borrow it if I decide to make some jumps again." Done deal.

The gear was a surplus harness and extended container, TIRED POROUS but very pretty orange and white candy striped C9 with a T mod, and a Navy 26 Conical belly reserve. The landings were really brutal on my main but I liked its looks.

I was always a generation behind in gear because I was a starving college student. When everyone went to PCs I stopped renting and bought "worthless" cheapo gear. When everyone went to squares I bough a "worthless PC" in a piggyback rig.

Now after 42 years of jumping I can afford decent new gear. Thank God for soft landing ram airs and non Capewell cutaway gear. Life is good.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Man, I don't even know what kind of container it is :/ getting old, er.

It had a Seirra 23 footer in it and that is it with me landing in the peas at Barnwell SC.

24 foot four line release reserve.

Total cost wast just over $350!!!

Good time!!!
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

I probably got the best deal of anyone here. The guy who trained me left town suddenly and took my rather expensive Nikon camera with him. But he left his gear in my car. A Carosel Para Commander in an extended B-4, a Delta 2 Para Wing in an extended B-4, a 24' reserve (T-7A?) with an aircraft type altimeter and mount, and a Tri-Zip jumpsuit. I would rather jump out of airplanes than take pictures so I considered it a fair trade. There's a lot more to the story but that's the essential part.

If anyone knows Pete Tolles, I would like to get in touch and let him know how jumping altered the course of my life.

He might be in jail.

I paid $65 for my first rig. It was a 7 panel W-gore candy stripe. That price included a 24' twill reserve with the aircraft altimeter panel.:)First jump course was $10 and that included the jump. They could do it that cheap since they didn't really spend that much time with you. It would have been hard pressed to last 30 minutes including gear up.:o
As far as pilot chutes I always like a pair of stacked A-3s that I had replaced the skirts with lopo fabric on.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

Man, I don't even know what kind of container it is :/ getting old, er.

It had a Seirra 23 footer in it and that is it with me landing in the peas at Barnwell SC.

24 foot four line release reserve.

Total cost wast just over $350!!!

Good time!!!

I looks a lot like a Piglet but with a 24' in the reserve you must have had a very good friend as your rigger, That really looks like 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag. That beats my story of putting a 26' Navy conical (with water pockets) in an original Pioneer Tri-Conical reserve container.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I was a pump jockey at the local gas station when I was 16, this cool guy use to come in a couple times a week, always a different hot babe in the front seat of his 'Vette, USPA sticker in the back window.

A couple years later I started jumping, someone at the DZ mentioned a guy he knew selling a full set of gear for cheap, so I called and went over to see it.

Yup...B|

For Sale sign on the 'Vette in the driveway & and a fire sale price on a near new style-master with a pap and a 24' flat, got boots, helmet, altimeter and jumpsuit along with about 6-7 years worth of old Parachutist mags...300.00 cash.

The guy's 'new' wife was more than happy to see it all go...:ph34r:

When I told what a deal I got to the boyz back at the dropzone the next weekend, they asked if his balls were on display in a jar somewhere in the house...I didn't get it the time, but I've seen a good number OF those 'jars' at EX-jumpers houses since then! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

1977 30 jump course: $300 then all I had to pay was plane ride @ $1.00 to 3500' $2.50 to 7500'

First rig in 1978, a Sierra with slightly used Strato-Star and 24' w/4 line release. $600. Within a week I put belly pouch hand deploy and one shots.

BS
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"

Orange and White C-9 with 5 TU cut reinforced with masking tape. B4 container and harness. 24' Twill reserve.

Cost $35
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

I bought a lime green 7-TU used with a four-pin Navy container for $35 in 1969. The apex was dyed gold. Lots of patches. Pretty cool rig. My first jump on static line was $25; a $5 discount because we showed up in a group of five. Once you had a main you could use the DZ's reserve, boots, helmet, jumpsuit, altimeter, and water gear for free on any jump.
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

1966 worked at a grocery store in Mississippi, saved up $185.00 for a 5TU from McElfish in Dallas. My local instructor told me a 7TU would be "TOO HOT" for me...if you can believe that! Hell, what did I know? I bought the 5TU, took it to Southern Air in Hammond, LA & everybody asked me what the F--- did I buy a 5TU for?

Hell, what did I know? I was 17 & stupid enough to join the Army & volunteer for Vietnam...and lucky enough to survive.

For Sale sign on the 'Vette in the driveway & and a fire sale price on a near new style-master with a pap and a 24' flat, got boots, helmet, altimeter and jumpsuit along with about 6-7 years worth of old Parachutist mags...300.00 cash.

The guy's 'new' wife was more than happy to see it all go...:ph34r:

Hi Mr T

$300 rub it in dude>:(

OTOH are you sure it was his New wife and not his ex wife, did you offer her a package deal $1.000 for the rig and vette :ph34r::)

I've heard some real horror stories about the poor defenceless ex wife's. Getting even

One guy started off with a lot of money but after wife number 2 or 3 he was a little bitter and I still remember his opinion of women 40 yr's later.

Warning pre PC statement. can't handle it don't look:|

"If women didn't cook or screw or there should be a bounty on them"

If women didn't
One Jump Wonder

1975, a white 7-TU in a B-12 container.... got it from Mike Mount at Pelicanland. Sold my ex's wedding ring (managed to keep it) and used $150 of that to get it. Was my prized possession. Put 120 jumps on it, landings mostly stand-ups as I was a skinny guy. Moved on to a 'Dactyl a couple years later which I got from Handbury for $190. Put it into my Wonderhog along with a Strong 26' lopo.

$125.00 and included B-4 container with 7TU, chest mount container with 24” flat with an L & R 4 line release. A-1 jumpsuit and a pair of French boots that fit.

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/FirstRigElsinore-1.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/Landing7TU-1.jpg
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

$50 for a plain white 28' 7TU in a B12 rig and a 1950s NavCon reserve in a chest pack. The main canopy was actually relatively new--it may have fallen off a military truck--and the mods were done by the wife of a friend who was a rigger. Added another $12 for a new pair of "Frenchie" boots (AKA "waffle stompers) and just used my motorcycle helmet. Made my own jumpsuits.

Once again the moderators here have chosen to delete a bunch of perfectly innocent messages. So now it's time for some payback once again. Tsk tsk. It's too bad they continue this program of self-induced punishment. It would be so easy if they just left those innocent messages alone, and public. But, when they fucka wit me, I fucka wit them. So here we go again.